PDA

View Full Version : Résumé’ assistance requested.

LonesomeTriZ
05-25-2009, 07:09 AM
I know there are some intelligent and professional members on this site. So I figured this would be a good place to ask for assistance. I have had about all I can stand working over here and I am looking for a new state side job. The resume I used to get this job and promoted twice worked well here, but I know stateside it will not work. What is the current trend or lay out are both government and privately owned agencies looking for right now. Also, I have never had to write a cover letter. I simply had an objective at the top of my resume. I hear this is no longer correct. Can I also get some guidance on a cover letter? What should it say, what should I include about my work history, how should it be laid out, and how long should it be? Being since the type of work I am seeking may guide the outcome of the resume this is a brief explanation of my skills:

Law enforcement
Anti-Terrorism
Force Protection
Investigations

Well, any suggestions you all provide will be greatly appreciated

ScottZJ
05-25-2009, 07:29 AM
PM sent to ya....hope I can help make something happen bra.

LonesomeTriZ
05-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks man. I have had all I can stand over here. I have been looking all over TN but I have not found a damn thing.

wheelie king
05-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Louis- I will pm you mid week. I just got back in town. Hang in there.....

JohnR.
05-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Take a civil service test. It sounds like you've got the law enforcement background for many of them.

hinddee29
05-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Here is a link I got when I went to an OTAP kinda like a TAPS you would have to take when etsing out of the Army. I don't know if the other branches all it this?
Has a lot of info and will take you to job search links by state.
http://www.jobbankinfo.org/

http://www.usajobs.gov/ this link lists gov jobs. You can down load all forms needed to fill out an app. Some jobs you just fill in your info and send it online
some you have to print out and mail in just depends on what they want.
I have a basic resume and was going to make up a good one for a seasonal
painting job for the Department of the Interior and VA painting job in a VA hospital. Instead I just filled out the gov. app and got an interview with the
VA and got the Job with the Department of Interior which I start tomorrow.
Painting for the National Park Service. The gov. seems to be hiring a lot of people.
sucks it's only 4 months long, but maybe I can get to know someone on the inside
that will remember me.

Good luck to you.

Shane

MonroeMike
05-26-2009, 02:21 AM
A Google search returns an enormous amount of sites. You could even narrow it down more specifically to your career.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=free+resume+help&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=off

LonesomeTriZ
05-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks you all. I have been spending a lot of time on Google. But I have not really found the "preferred" layout. USAjobs is another site I spend a lot fo time on. Unfortunatly, there is nothing in the areas I am looking at. Right now, I just want a good job that will get me home. I have long term plans I will put into motion once I get settled in ans situations handled.

shannonw
05-26-2009, 08:49 AM
IMHO, it is less important to follow a "preferred format" as it is to present yourself well by proofing your resume and cover letter for grammar and spelling mistakes. A good resume can be totally overshadowed by a simple error. Have someone else (or several people) read it for you and ask for constructive criticism.

The cover letter should touch on as many of the areas they mention in their posting, showing where and when you have had the appropriate experience. The cover letter is the door... if you can show them that you a) read the posting, b) took the time to personalize your submission (i.e. do not say to whom it may concern and "your company") c) answered as many of their "wants" as you can... you'll have a great chance of getting into the interview. Then it's all up to how you present yourself in person.

There are lots of sites out there that will give examples of interview questions. If you are able to get to the interview stage, it's worth looking at these sites and answering as many of them as you can before you meet with them. Interviews have changed a lot in the last few years and can catch many folks off guard.

When you are writing up your resume, try to think about the skills that you posses currently and how they may be transferable to the position you are applying for. You will be suited to far more positions than you originally thought.

Best of luck
Shannon

LonesomeTriZ
05-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks. That was good information.

Gag_Halfront
05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
PM your email and I'll send you my most recent resume. I've always had _really_ good luck with the format of my resume.

Whenever you get one written, I'll proof it for you. I write and edit all the time. It's no trouble.

LonesomeTriZ
05-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Thanks man.