PDA

View Full Version : kfx valve springs

corndawg
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
how bad of a job is it? a buddy of mine has a chance to pick one up cheap off somone he knows pretty well, the guy said it needs valve springs..my question is how bad of a job is it? what all is invovled in the job? any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance for any and all help

300rman
06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
how bad of a job is it? a buddy of mine has a chance to pick one up cheap off somone he knows pretty well, the guy said it needs valve springs..my question is how bad of a job is it? what all is invovled in the job? any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance for any and all help

just valve springs? i smell BS. valve springs wouldnt be so bad.....a valvetrain rebuild wouldnt be bad.

corndawg
06-01-2009, 09:11 PM
thats what i was thinking....its got a big bore kit, and after market cams, is it possible that the springs just got weak because the cams have too much lift?

Dirtcrasher
06-04-2009, 05:26 PM
^ No, I doubt it. Those cams require different springs to prevent "valve fluttering" And the better retainers or keepers help keep things in place.....

If someone said it needs "valve seals" I'd believe them but valve springs, I'm not so certain about.

corndawg
06-05-2009, 12:57 AM
^ No, I doubt it. Those cams require different springs to prevent "valve fluttering" And the better retainers or keepers help keep things in place.....

If someone said it needs "valve seals" I'd believe them but valve springs, I'm not so certain about.

alright, ill pass the info on, they guy told him that the valves are floating at higher rpm, like its hitting the limiter but its not.......thanks for the info guys

Dirtcrasher
06-05-2009, 06:22 PM
^ Don't get me wrong, it COULD have worn valve springs. These new motors rev allot higher and do wear out valve springs and other parts.

They measure the overall length and test the spring itself.

They have not made these motors easy to work on. We have guys that still can't adjust and tune 25yo technology and now things are much more precise. You need a micrometer just to set the valves and better be able to do some math too. Even the oil that lies under the valve shim can give a false reading and I'm talking about simply adjusting the valves AFTER getting things fixed and during reassembly.