PDA

View Full Version : Banshee axle carrier help needed

fabiodriven
06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
My buddy has an '03 Banshee. He's had it since it was new and I guess he keeps having the same problem over and over again. I'm going to do the best I can to describe it, but I've never worked on this quad so I can only go by what he's telling me.

I guess the bolts that hold the axle carrier in keep coming loose until the point that they back out and go into the rear sprocket and skrew everything up. Anybody heard of this? Is it a common problem with the banshees? I think this is his third time dealing with this issue.

Dirtcrasher
06-05-2009, 06:17 PM
^ Bring it to Thomas Motosports :D

I'd guess it's a fitment issue and something is worn - side to side.

He could always find a way to drill a hole in the 2 bolts you tighten to hold it in place and cotter pin it, possibly even use castle nuts.....

I bet I could figure it out, bring him by John.

tecat-z
06-05-2009, 06:25 PM
My friends 01 Banshee had that same problem from the time he brought it home off the dealer floor. Didn't happen every time riding. But checking the bolts became routine after causing it to throw the chain at Silver Lake years ago. Now he owns a yfz.. But my other friend bought a 02 new, and has had no problem at all. Never has, and still owns it. Strang considering they never changed the design of the carrier clamping set up from 87-06. Keep and eye on them.......

fabiodriven
06-05-2009, 06:37 PM
^ Bring it to Thomas Motosports :D

I'd guess it's a fitment issue and something is worn - side to side.

He could always find a way to drill a hole in the 2 bolts you tighten to hold it in place and cotter pin it, possibly even use castle nuts.....

I bet I could figure it out, bring him by John.

Thanks Steve. If he's looking for someone to fix it I'll send him your way. He usually does all his own work though, I'm actually curious to see it myself. I'm sure it can't be that hard to fix for good.

Dirtcrasher
06-05-2009, 06:48 PM
It could just be something that doesn't stay tight, but that's almost always because something is not just right in terms of how ell it fits or too much clearance on something??

Cheap fix (unless the underlying problem is resolved) is what I posted above.

Must suk to have your bolt drag into your sprocket!

Is he coming Sunday??

fabiodriven
06-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Is he coming Sunday??

Negatory- I was asking him to come today (Everybody else I know is gonna be there!) but he's constantly going 10 different directions, kinda like you and I. He's got mustangs that he drag races and they seem to soak up alot of his time.

sblt500r
06-09-2009, 09:47 PM
tighten the bolts! if the 2 long bolts are tight, he won't have a problem.

i've worked on my buddies banshee enough, and if those 2 bolts are tight, they won't come loose. i told him to adjust his chain once, and that was before we went for a ride in nh, well the lower bolt came loose, the nut came off, and the bolt worked its way to the sprocket. think it was deepa who saw the sparks flying. he must have been thinking of something else when he tighten those bolts.

there a pain to get at, as you have to go through the sprocket with a ratchet or use 2 wrenches. its real tight and a pain in the arse.

scott zimmerman
06-10-2009, 04:08 AM
lock tight:lock:

super90
06-10-2009, 04:23 AM
my 04 yfz has a similar setup, just crank them real tight and use some blue loc tite on them. Good as new.

fabiodriven
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I haven't seen the quad in person but all I could think was to tighten them up like ya'll are saying. This kids no meathaed, though. I think he's already tightened the crap outta them. I'll suggest the locktight.

kasuki
06-12-2009, 11:41 PM
hey i havea 96 banshee i use blue lock tight an i torque them to spec that will cure the problem.look an see if the bolts are worn or streched on the treads there might not be enough thread surface touching touching to lock the nut.hope this helps