PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Yamaha R1 and have some questions

LonesomeTriZ
06-08-2009, 03:15 AM
One of my goals before I return home is to purchase a 2006 R1 LE. However, I am facing several challenges. First, I have been out of the sport bike game for a long damn time. The second is I am trying to find one from over here in Iraq. So I have to go by what the advertisement dictates. One big problem I am running into is most of these sellers have no idea what they have. Some advertise their R1 as a limited edition when it is an anniversary edition and some advertise it as an anniversary edition when it is a limited edition. It gets me so frustrated that I stop looking for a while. Anyhoo, my question is when I am looking at these ads, what are some obvious tell tell signs I am looking at a true limited edition 2006 model? I want one of the 500 LE models made, not one of the anniversary models. They are very similar in appearance.

SYKO
06-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Louis..... you need to wait till you get over here... I rode a 05 R1 and I barely fit on it (tall wise) it was very uncomfortable. Its not the best bike for taller, people and it only took a day before my back hurt from leaning over even after I adjusted everything on it to fit me. Im not about to ride a bike that makes me uncomfortable becouse it dosnt fit me, thats a big safety NO NO. I used to ride a NINJA 900 back in 95-96 and it fit me well and I never felt uncomfortable. Dont get one and hang onto it just becouse its an R1 if the bike dosnt fit you then you shouldnt be riding it.

2 cent.

LonesomeTriZ
06-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I have not ridden one of the newer R1's so I have no idea how I would fit on one. I never thought it is before. Maybe I can get a dealership to let me take a new one out for a test ride.

SYKO
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
if you have a licsence I actually do that all the time lol....

but seriously though if you dont fit a bike the only thing your asking for is the possiblilty of something going wrong and ending badly especially at 150 mph+ My 900 fit me perfect and I could handle it becouse it fit me. I see big guys on little bikes all the time and you can tell there not comfortable or in full controle and with a bike like that controle is the key.

im hopin next year I can be back on a street bike but who knows yet

LonesomeTriZ
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I sure od have a licsence. I usually ride my V-Start instead of drive. I know a cruiser is different so that is why my daily rider will be a Road Star and the R1 will be a weekend bike.

SYKO
06-08-2009, 11:07 AM
well I think the R1 wouldnt be the best choice even for a weekend bike...and if I get a bike are you going to follow me? lmfao! cuz I know some roads that are straght knee killers! good times!

wheelie king
06-08-2009, 08:06 PM
louis, you'd look like a gorilla humping a watermelon. You are too big, and would not be happy or comfortable on the bike. They are squatty as hell, as Alan said. I hate to say it and I know it is wasted breath cause you are a Yamaha man, but get a 07 or 08 Suzuki GSX-R 1000. Hell, I got a Suzuki cruiser bike and LOVE IT, although I am a die hard Honda man.......:lol: :lol: :lol:

SYKO
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Greg even the new Gixxers are small even at that size, really and honestly the busa is comfortable... if you can live with the fact that it is considered a SPORT TOURER and not a sport bike like everyone thinks they are. Personaly Im still going to hold out to get my dream the Truimph SPEED TRIPPLE but I only want the twin light late 90s model not the new ones.

LonesomeTriZ
06-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I like the older GSX-R's. I have not looked at the new ones. I like the 06 R1 LE becuase of what it is. They only made 500 of them and they are out of the box race ready. I would be more careful on a bike like that becuase it is a collectors item. If I bought a run of the mill ever one has one bike, I would be dead with in two weeks. I can't really get into the Busa's. They are too big in my opinion. Unless they have been scaled down as well, I doubt I would ever get one. I guess when I am home on R&R I am going to have to do the fit test before I drop any money.