PDA

View Full Version : Frame shipping trick...save yourself mad bank.

Billy Golightly
06-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, I could keep this to myself, but in the interest of helping people out. Heres a way to cut a significant amount of money off of your frame shipping costs.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/HondaATC/tilted-frame.jpg

This frame, started out measuring 29 inches from the ground to the top of the steering neck. With the wood slats, your able to even out the end of the subframe, and the steering neck to a level height. That cut FIVE INCHES off the height of the frame, down to 24 inches overall height. And that cut, a rather significant amount of dollarage (my new word) off the shipping cost. Anyone thats having to deal with shipping a frame, I'd really reccomend trying it out.

aaron7
06-13-2009, 06:26 PM
So you ADD wood to make it SMALLER? I really don't get it!

whyzee
06-13-2009, 06:35 PM

oy vay....
it levelsthe way the way the frame sits. so it is not as tall when Mr postman gets his cloth tape measure out, and wants to charge you oversize
Awesome idea Billy!!! :beer

Thanks soo mch for your help Bill... hand is bad, but my friends here are great :beer

Nick_R_23
06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
It would make the frame sit more 'level' when being measured, instead of having the frame leaning back or forward and the subframe or steering neck sticking way up.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Billy Golightly
06-13-2009, 06:52 PM

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/HondaATC/SDC13445Custom.jpg

Take a good look at a frame how it normally sits flat on the bottom of the engine cradle. You'll notice how much higher up the top of the steering neck is, from the back of the sub-frame. Thats the highest point. What the wood does, is shim up the back of the frame so that your tilting the front of the frame down, to the point where it is level with the back of the frame. That reduces your overall height, and it is dimensionally the same everywhere else..

whyzee, your definitely welcome man. I hope that this is able to help some guys out and save them a few bucks.

Billy Golightly
06-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Also, I gotta give some props to Louis Mielke, him and I were discussing UPS shipping and he's really the one that helped me get this done, so mad props to the Milk Man as well!

Louis Mielke
06-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Just doing my milkmanly duty!

Kintore
06-14-2009, 03:10 AM
haha the milkman, what a guy!

awesome idea billy!

RoscoW
06-14-2009, 09:46 AM
What if you turned it upside down, it should net the same results should it not?

Ross..

The Goat
06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
or if the person measuring it wasn't completely incompetent.... they'd realize that they way it sits does not affect the volume the package takes up.

the girl measuring mine just didn't measure the subframe...as the tubing takes up no space.

flirt flirt flirt...

jeopardy98
05-16-2010, 04:53 PM
For those of you that have shipped the frames... Do you box them or ship them straight out? I already have a UPS account. Do these things get shipped ground or freight? How should I go about this? Thanks in advance.

oldskool83
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
if you really wanna save cash box it up, i shilled a 300ex frame to CA from PA, for $59.00 in a box. i shipped a 200x frame from PA to OH to $55 with no both...use a box, or sheets of carb board and get about 2-3 big rolls of duct tape.

LonesomeTriZ
05-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Very cool. I wish I knew this a year ago.

RamsesRibb
12-11-2011, 03:46 AM
hmm. Just an idea mind you. But wouldn't it be less in height if you lay on sideways?

tecaterob
09-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Man I just got quoted $238.00 for each frame. I'm buying 2...

tecaterob
09-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Ok. Found a site www.freightcenter.com it works like uship.com. I got it done from Preston, Was to Miami Fl for $170.00 for 2 frames. They shipped out today. I'll keep you posted.

heusser85
10-20-2014, 08:55 AM
i have shipped many frames and never had any size issues. use fedex ground and i guarantee anywhere in the country for under 60.00 and the best way to ship them is cover sharp points with cardboard then plastic wrap the whole thing fedex likes it that way and it looks real professional

nd4speed
12-01-2014, 12:18 AM
I am having success going with ground service at FED EX shipping hub that is by our local airport. The prices are lower than $60 and I dont have to wrap it much more than some tape and a label.

Oh and someone asked why one doesnt flip it upside down or on its side when they measure the dimension? ...well because they have to weigh it and it would not fit on the scale/ scale area and be a hassle having to flip it this way and that, since it is bulky and the person behind the counter is often not used to that much hassle or work or awkwardness.

MI to KS = $49