PDA

View Full Version : Online auto diagrams?? Like bike bandit for autos??

ATCs Reborn
07-24-2003, 08:38 PM
tryin to get the freakin head off my 93 toyota 4x4 and i can't get the freakin intake to seperate from the head. i think there's an allen head bolt goin through the thermostat area but i'm gonna have to buy some specialty tools to get to it. before i spend my money, does anyone know of an online parts digram site for autos like partsfish or bike bandit for bikes so i can make sure it's what's holding me up? if it's a bolt to hold the intake on it will officially be the worst design i've seen yet on an auto.
better yet, anyone ever pulled a head off a efi 22re up to 1995?
thanks,
steve

JayP
07-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Hey I helped my friend rebuild his Toyota 4Runner motor over the winter. It was a 22RE. I dont remember an issue with removing the intake or any special tools. He just has a basic tool set as we got it out and apart without any problem. Let me ask him tomorrow about taking off the intake as he did that part. I think he bought a big manual too so I will check that for you.

Hope you're not in a huge hurry.

Jay

JayP
07-25-2003, 07:26 PM
As far as I could find out there are about twelve bolts total. 4-5 on bottom that are tough to get to.

The throttle body and EGR valve can hang it up and must be removed first.

On the top at front there is a long (4 inch) allen bolt behind the fuel rail. The fuel rail will be off but that is a reference. That bolt is kind of hidden and must come out to remove.

I hope this helps.

Jay

ATCs Reborn
07-25-2003, 08:12 PM
jay,
you hit the nail right on the head. i ended up buying a manual for it today and got it off. had to remove the square part of the intake that distributes the air to all the ports but i got lucky and didn't have to remove the fuel rail containing the injectors. unfortunately it was the tightest bolt on the entire intake and it stripped out right away so i ended up drilling through the head of it and just poppin it off with a chisel and it will be replaced with a regular bolt as it should have been from the factory. i can't freakin believe they couldn't have come up with somethin a little more convenient. could have had the head off in about an hour and a half, but because of that stupid bolt, it took me 2 freakin days!!!! LOL
anyways, thanks for the help bud, now just wish me luck in finding out it's just the head gasket and not the head itself that's blown.
peace,
steve

JayP
07-25-2003, 09:22 PM
I hate to tell you this but the head on my friends was ruined. They run the cam right in the aluminum head, just like a 350X, with no bearing shells. If it ever had oil pressure or oil change issues that is a weak spot. Be sure and pull your cam to check it out.

A whole rebuilt head on exchange was about $250 for him. That isn't so bad since it gets you a valve job, guides, a cam and everything.

good luck

JayP