PDA

View Full Version : which states have to register?

yamasaki1
11-04-2002, 10:19 PM
which states require that atvs be registered and insured? here in nebraska, we don't have to....o isn't it nice Jeroboam7? will insurance companies insure trikes?

jeswinehart
11-04-2002, 11:20 PM
in michigan i have never registered any of the trikes i ever had.
the mrs. bought a polaris 400explorer new but the title came in her name and as far as i know we haven't done anything beyond that.
to ride stae trails in mi. you are required to have a o.r.v. sticker but you can't even buy them at the license bureau,,, you need to go to a a.t.v. dealer + only need to take one thing with you,,, money.
if insured, or at least in my case, i would need to add it as a rider to my home insurance (theft-fire + the like)
i heard thru the board that at silver lake dunes in mi. they are doing spot checks for registration + hauling your beloved what ever off if you can't produce ( another reason i will not ever go back there,,, to political for me).
think o.r.v. stickers are around 16-17 dollars. i would hafta go out and look on the back of our machines to be sure.

john

tecatecrazy
11-04-2002, 11:28 PM
In Iowa you have to register all atv's which wasnt enforced until this year due to a huge string of thefts.

NOS_350X
11-04-2002, 11:35 PM
here in cali there realy big on it also on spark arestors they will make you leave the riding area if its not licensed or if it dosent have a spark arestor and now they also have red stickers and with one of those you cant ride in certain places during the summer months

11-05-2002, 01:41 AM
NOS is right, California is big into registration of everything. Fortunately for ATVs, dirt bikes, dune buggies and any other off road vehicle, its pretty easy. Bring a title to the DMV and 20 bucks and you can get an off road sticker, green or red, depending on the vehicle, no insurance required. Both of mine already had green stickers, so it was easy and there was no inspection.

250rmanfmf
11-05-2002, 01:55 AM
Here in Washington they are big on it too, you have to be regestored and I know in Oregon you have too.

NOS_350X
11-05-2002, 02:04 AM
when i took my 97 yz125 in to get a green sticker they went all crazy all i had was a bill of sale and they inspected it and made sure the vin#'s where correct and matched they where just being trailprotrailpro tipical goverment employees

Kingsnake
11-05-2002, 02:27 AM
New Jersey DMV requires insurance and registration on all OHV's, as far as I know. And this is (last time I checked) the most expensive state in the country for insurance rates! :evil: :shock:

350Xrider
11-05-2002, 03:00 AM
Here in West Virginia, there is no registration or spark arrestor rules or anything else hardly.

skippy
11-05-2002, 11:33 PM
none of the above in maryland either.. but when we ride in state parks in maryland and pa,, you need to register with the state..

Jeroboam7
11-06-2002, 12:59 AM
Yamasaki,

Actually the regestration thing is kinda a double edged sword, the good thing about not having regestration is you don't have to mess around with it!

The bad thing is the State has no Idea of how many ATVs are out there and refuse to help fund any riding areas, actually I am one that is all in favor of regestration with the funds going to help establish riding parks, a $10.00 a year fee would be a small price to pay in order to get some state run riding areas going. Did you realise that the state of Nebraska is holding $750,000.00 that is a refund of the federal gas tax for off road vehicles and refuses to let us use it because they feel there is no need!!! I believe that a regestration fee is a good thing for us, as well as tracking stolen atv's and dirtbikes. You can find more info on the gas tax thing on the NOHVA web site if your not a member you should join, even if you don't agree with everything their doing at least there trying to keep what few public areas we have open.

I am also in the process of regestering 5 atv's in Iowa so I can ride their parks Tecatecrazy how far into Iowa are you?

Yamasaki, when you get the urge to meet up and ride somewhere drop me a line!!

tecatecrazy
11-06-2002, 01:05 AM
Jeroboam,, Im in eastern Iowa, Waterloo to be exact, It would be nice to see more trikes my way.... Ive only come accross one other trike at our local atv park since I started riding this summer.

Jeroboam7
11-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Tecatecrazy ... I'm hoping to make it that way next summer so I will drop you a line when I get that far!