PDA

View Full Version : Micrometer/ Bore Set

Macs
07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I have not been able to locate my set. so i finally gave up and decided to buy a new one. I did bit of searching and there is a very high price range. I will probly only use them once every few years so i dont want to spend alot. anyone got any good feedback on a decent quality, low price set. I was also thinking about just using a mechanical set of gauges. since they are quite inexpensive. But i have never used one of these and i am not sure how accurate they are. Thanks for any suggestions.

Billy Golightly
07-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Unless you spring for Starrett, 9/10 the mechanical dial stuff will be more accurate than the digital. Look at www.mscdirect.com and www.mcmaster.com They both handle Micrometers. MSC sorts theres by brand name and then "import" which is cheaper. Most of the time the import stuff is actually pretty good quality, and if your only gonna be using them once in a while, they are still way over kill.

Dirtcrasher
07-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd look at "ENCO" also. Some of there stuff is hit or miss, but people say with mics that if the set comes with the standards for checking accuracy, they'll work just fine.

300rman
07-05-2009, 06:33 PM
well, using them once in awhile or every day, it shouldnt affect your choice when buying precision instruments like this......

remember, the cost of a cheap tool will be the cost of the tool, plus its replacement, PLUS the part you could mess up because of an inaccurate measurement.

buy it once, buy it right. and as long as you dont lose them, you will never need another set.

and i agree, go mechanical over digital, much more accurate unless BIG money is being forked over.....

Macs
07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
well, using them once in awhile or every day, it shouldnt affect your choice when buying precision instruments like this......

remember, the cost of a cheap tool will be the cost of the tool, plus its replacement, PLUS the part you could mess up because of an inaccurate measurement.

buy it once, buy it right. and as long as you dont lose them, you will never need another set.

and i agree, go mechanical over digital, much more accurate unless BIG money is being forked over.....

I wanst meaning digital or mechanical. i think i miss worded it. I like mechanical Mics, but i was talking about the caliper type like this.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200323863_200323863

I have never used this type and i was unsure how accurate they were. Of course i know they will not be accurate as a mic, but accurate enough to get by on a basic engine rebuild.

I am not going to spend $500 on a really good set when i can get by with an $80 set.

Macs
07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Unless you spring for Starrett, 9/10 the mechanical dial stuff will be more accurate than the digital. Look at www.mscdirect.com and www.mcmaster.com They both handle Micrometers. MSC sorts theres by brand name and then "import" which is cheaper. Most of the time the import stuff is actually pretty good quality, and if your only gonna be using them once in a while, they are still way over kill.

Thanks for the link Billy. i will start digging through them tomorrow. i found a set at harbor freight for 39.99 for the mic set and 29.99 for the bore set. I think that might be a little to cheap. lol

SWIGIN
07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
i have some high dollar micometers, dial calipers, ect....but my lathe came with a $15 harbor frieght digital caliper and it has always checked out perfect with my high dollar stuff.

i guess you can get lucky sometimes.

joshco84
07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
actually, cheap calipers have gotten really good of late. I have some really expensive ones, and some really cheap ones, and they have never checked any different than half a thousandth off of each other.

Dirtcrasher
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
He needs Mic's and inside telescopic gauges or a dial gage. I hear ya though!

For that matter, I treat my calipers like a red headed step child :D My "0" is never at the top of the dial :lol: so the cheap ones work just fine.....

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=890-9981

You'd need mics with these:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=615-6610

I couldn't find the dam set.....

racerxxx
07-05-2009, 11:22 PM
www.use-enco.com or www.travers.com are some of the places I've bought some of my tools from.