PDA

View Full Version : CR500af(aluminum frame) trike almost complete

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
What's up guys. Almost finished with my trike. It started life as an '01 CR250; then I installed a 500 motor; and now it's a trike. I still have a couple of things to finish; but I am stisfied with how it turned out. I did all the work myself. I'm using a complete axle assembly from a blaster with Banshee hubs. I made the swingarm myself from mild steel. The frontend is from a KX100. I machined the stock steering stem to fit the kx triple clamps. Next, I gotta get a new piston, then I will be ready for my first ride. I can't wait!. Oh yeah , motor is ported with 40mm Lectron on meth and cr250 ignition. It really screamed in dirtbike form. Here's some pics.

Macs
07-05-2009, 08:10 PM
looks cool. Is that the stock tripples?

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-05-2009, 08:12 PM
looks cool. Is that the stock tripples?

KX100 triples with factory(cr250) stem machined to fit.

Macs
07-05-2009, 08:15 PM
The front tire looks to be a bit thin. since you are going to be using it as a drag bike it shouldnt have a problem. If you were MXing it our trail riding you would hate it.

Lukeatc185
07-05-2009, 08:47 PM
that thing looks sexy. and scary at the same time

jeffatc250r
07-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Nice bike! But why such a long swinger, you do drags?

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Nice bike! But why such a long swinger, you do drags?Yes. Its for drags. If the arm turns out to be too long; I can easily shorten it. Making it longer wouldn't be so easy.

jeffatc250r
07-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Ahh i see. I made a plus 6-7 for my 500 and hated it. I run the stocker now.

Louis Mielke
07-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Looks like it's shaping up to be an awesome drag racer!

JasonB
07-06-2009, 07:33 AM
that thing is sick!! I like it, build me one lol

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
that thing is sick!! I like it, build me one lolNice MR2 in your sig. Any dyno or track numbers?

ATC-Eric
07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Holy cow that things awesome!

Good work.

300rman
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
only thing i would change is the rear fenders. other than that, its awesome!

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-06-2009, 08:01 PM
where do you plan to drag it? I also live in NC and would love to watch some atv drags in person.
Busco Beach in Goldsboro and all the local asphault dragstrips: Piedmont, Roxboro, Benson and Fayetteville. I live in Durham. Where do you live?

JasonB
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice MR2 in your sig. Any dyno or track numbers?

lol not for the current motor: im on motor number 4. first and second motors saw too much boost and ended up with blown head gaskets and BAD detonation damage. Thrid motor was a stroker 2.2 with powerFC for tunning and a full T4 50 trim turbo with 46MM wastegate ; the shop that tunned it maxed out the fuel on the mustang dyno due to only being 540cc injectors running 99% duty cycle. That motor pushed only 296rwhp on a mustang dyno but the shop that built it didnt clearance the rod journals on the 2.2 crank correctly and it ended up burning up after 900 miles. Current motor is only pushing around 270rwhp and its all stock with 17psi, intercooler, intake and 3inch exhaust. and fidanza flywheel with spec stage 3. Trying to keep it simple for now so it lasts the summer lol

The first motor I had was stock with exhaust and the full t4 50 trim turbo set up and fidnza fly/spec3 ; I ran it at the track 4 years ago before I started blowing motors regularly and the car became a garage ornament. Last 2 runs I made were terrible. I launched at 7,200 rpms and pulled a 1.9 60foot on both runs, but that heated up the piss poor quality spec stage3 clutch and caused it to slip bad when i got into boost in 2nd and 3rd and left me backing off the gas to get it to grip both times. I ran 13.5 @105mph and 13.5@104 mph with the clutch slipping like crazy. Engine number 2 lasted only one night, i didnt hook up the external wastegate and went for a drive ; the motor saw 30psi 4 times and blew the headgasket (stupid move on my part :( ) motor number 3 hadnt reached the end of the break in period and had just left the dyno, it lasted 2 weeks total before it burned up. on motor number4 right now, being GENTLE!!! :lol:

sorry to thread jack! Is that a boosted rotary I see in the background of one of your pictures? Looks to be in decent shape from what I can see of it

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-07-2009, 12:03 AM
lol not for the current motor: im on motor number 4. first and second motors saw too much boost and ended up with blown head gaskets and BAD detonation damage. Thrid motor was a stroker 2.2 with powerFC for tunning and a full T4 50 trim turbo with 46MM wastegate ; the shop that tunned it maxed out the fuel on the mustang dyno due to only being 540cc injectors running 99% duty cycle. That motor pushed only 296rwhp on a mustang dyno but the shop that built it didnt clearance the rod journals on the 2.2 crank correctly and it ended up burning up after 900 miles. Current motor is only pushing around 270rwhp and its all stock with 17psi, intercooler, intake and 3inch exhaust. and fidanza flywheel with spec stage 3. Trying to keep it simple for now so it lasts the summer lol

The first motor I had was stock with exhaust and the full t4 50 trim turbo set up and fidnza fly/spec3 ; I ran it at the track 4 years ago before I started blowing motors regularly and the car became a garage ornament. Last 2 runs I made were terrible. I launched at 7,200 rpms and pulled a 1.9 60foot on both runs, but that heated up the piss poor quality spec stage3 clutch and caused it to slip bad when i got into boost in 2nd and 3rd and left me backing off the gas to get it to grip both times. I ran 13.5 @105mph and 13.5@104 mph with the clutch slipping like crazy. Engine number 2 lasted only one night, i didnt hook up the external wastegate and went for a drive ; the motor saw 30psi 4 times and blew the headgasket (stupid move on my part :( ) motor number 3 hadnt reached the end of the break in period and had just left the dyno, it lasted 2 weeks total before it burned up. on motor number4 right now, being GENTLE!!! :lol:

sorry to thread jack! Is that a boosted rotary I see in the background of one of your pictures? Looks to be in decent shape from what I can see of itMan get some fuel on that motor and say good bye to most of your problems. a simple way to get fuel would be to add an Extra Injector Controller. You can add up to 4 injectors and have full control over how they spray. You can control the boost at which they start spraying and the rate at which they spray. It's very simple. Fuel is your best friend.

And yes....that is a turbo roatry Corolla. It has a 13b with t66 turbo blowing through a holley. It has dynoed 522rwhp on e85. Here are some vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xo8X2HXGvE&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L3DhuxJees&feature=channel_page

MagicJames
07-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Oh, this is for asphalt drags, that makes sense as to why you have a +40 swinger.... Thats Fuxxin tits. MORE PICS AND VIDS!!

dcreel
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
awesome videos. Love the car.. Nothing like a boosted rotary.

JasonB
07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Man get some fuel on that motor and say good bye to most of your problems. a simple way to get fuel would be to add an Extra Injector Controller. You can add up to 4 injectors and have full control over how they spray. You can control the boost at which they start spraying and the rate at which they spray. It's very simple. Fuel is your best friend.

And yes....that is a turbo roatry Corolla. It has a 13b with t66 turbo blowing through a holley. It has dynoed 522rwhp on e85. Here are some vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xo8X2HXGvE&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L3DhuxJees&feature=channel_page

I have seen the launch video from the track posted up on another board im on (stlsr.com). Thing is sick!

and about fuel for my car, the route most of us mr2 owners take is a stand alone with some massive injectors. I've seen a few people put down over 400 rwhp on e85 with a larger turbo and bigger injectors.

I have a walbro 255 in tank pump, and was going to just throw in some 850cc injectors and upgrade to another larger intercooler and a fuel pressure regulator and would have been easily pushing 400rwhp on 93 octane. I love the powerFC from apexi, its a full stand alone management system and controlls/monitors all functions of the engine; the only thing I dont like about it is that it will monitor engine knock but it wont do anything like retard the timing to save the motor.

but ya I like your set up, your 2step launch control sounds mean as hell!! Are you just running open downpipe?

gutterworks129
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Nice drag 3 wheeler, do you have any other atc,s? I live in Wake Forest and was wondering if you had any parts, thanks Jeremy.

JasonB
07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=761709#post761709

heres a link on this board to a few time lapse videos of me installing and removing motors. check it out if you got a minute

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Nice drag 3 wheeler, do you have any other atc,s? I live in Wake Forest and was wondering if you had any parts, thanks Jeremy.I have an '82 r. It's dragged out too, but not as long as the 500. I'm about to put it back together with a 300 cylinder.
I don't have any more trike parts right now.

JasonB
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
do you already have the cylinder? And are you going to use a 300 honda line kit or do you plan to bore out a 250 cylinder? Also what all is done to your 82? Got pics :D

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-09-2009, 11:46 PM
do you already have the cylinder? And are you going to use a 300 honda line kit or do you plan to bore out a 250 cylinder? Also what all is done to your 82? Got pics :D
I have the Hondaline cylinder and head; but no pics. I hope I'm happy with the 300 kit because the stock cylinder screams. It has a +8 swingarm, 38/40mm Lectron carb, drag port, and a custom seat. No plastics though. There's nothing like a high revving air coolled R! I should have the 500 finished tomorrow. So, I will be working on the '82 again soon.

JasonB
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
sounds like a mean 82! My 83 has a custom +6inch swinger on it with a +4inch wider axle with 400ex hubs so its a good 6inches wider than stock. I started out and did a big bored 250 cylinder originally but had issues with studs stripping out. That and the intake and exhaust ports were just too small to be ported enough to even compare with where the hondaline 300 kit started at. I only have about an hour of riding in the dunes in california at glamis on the hondaline 300 kit but even not being fully broken in it SCREAMS!! I love mine. NOthing like the sound of a pissed off air cooled bike in the higher revs.

Daddio and 1upfront on here have 2 different air cooled bikes, they are pretty familiar with the 300 kits and the little tweaks involved to make them rip.

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-11-2009, 12:15 AM
sounds like a mean 82! My 83 has a custom +6inch swinger on it with a +4inch wider axle with 400ex hubs so its a good 6inches wider than stock. I started out and did a big bored 250 cylinder originally but had issues with studs stripping out. That and the intake and exhaust ports were just too small to be ported enough to even compare with where the hondaline 300 kit started at. I only have about an hour of riding in the dunes in california at glamis on the hondaline 300 kit but even not being fully broken in it SCREAMS!! I love mine. NOthing like the sound of a pissed off air cooled bike in the higher revs.

Daddio and 1upfront on here have 2 different air cooled bikes, they are pretty familiar with the 300 kits and the little tweaks involved to make them rip.
Nice! What piston are you using in your 300? ....and what mods did you do to the cyl to get it to work?

JasonB
07-11-2009, 02:47 PM
wiseco piston. Used a honda line kit 300 cylinder and head, it was bored out and sleeved because it was used when we got it originally and didnt come with a piston or anything aside from the cylinder and head. It was sleeved after Sprock bored it over, I cant recall if the piston had any material taken off the edge of the top but the skirts were machined down on the bottom of the piston. In the first two pistons we went through on the big bore set up using the 250 and boring it out to a 300, both pistons that were used had a thousanth or so machined off a portion of the edge on the top to avoid contact with the head.

The sleeve in the cylinder was port matched to the intake and exhaust ports when both ports were being ported out as well. Sprock used a certain thickness of base gasket between the cylinder and bottom end and just worked up from there in terms of clearances etc. The first two builds using the 250 cylinder and big boring it: we used a hot rods rod but when we used the 300 honda line kit we switched back over to an 86 250r stock rod because of its shorter length than the hot rod we had previously used.

do you have a piston in mind? What are you doing about gaskets? Namely the copper gasket between the head and the cylinder.

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I have a head gasket thats been in my shop for years. I just need a piston. There's a guy on Ebay that sells pistons for $140 and he claims the bottom of the cylinder has to be machined. I guess I'll go this route. My bore is the standard 76mm.