//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 Yamaha SRV 540

techmaster330 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

1985 Yamaha SRV 540

So I'm gonna be getting an SRV. Does anyone have any experience with these sleds? If so are they decent sled cause this will be my first sled and I really hope its not a crap sled. Any help would be nice, thanks.

trimoto.125 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Its a real heavy sled, the front suspension was ahead of its time, the 540 was a good fan motor, switch the carb over to a mikun round slide, ditch the oil injection, remove rev limiter(sometimes they go bad, its hooked up to the carb usually). Should be a decent sled.

killerklown is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I had a blast on all the SRV's I had.
    I would leave the carb on there, as well as the oil injection. Also the wires hooked up to the carbs are the YAMAHA TORS SYSTEM, not a rev limiter, it will kill the engine if the throttle should ever stick open. If the sled has spark at the plugs, there is no reason to remove that.
    It is 20+ years old, so I'm sure it will need some TLC, but great sleds for sure. They sell a front end shim kit for that POGO suspension to eliminate the handlebar slop that I'm sure it will have, mine all did...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by killerklown View Post
    I had a blast on all the SRV's I had.
    I would leave the carb on there, as well as the oil injection. Also the wires hooked up to the carbs are the YAMAHA TORS SYSTEM, not a rev limiter, it will kill the engine if the throttle should ever stick open. If the sled has spark at the plugs, there is no reason to remove that.
    It is 20+ years old, so I'm sure it will need some TLC, but great sleds for sure. They sell a front end shim kit for that POGO suspension to eliminate the handlebar slop that I'm sure it will have, mine all did...

Well all that tors s... has done for me is giving me problems and forget about trusting that plastic gear oil pump

--
    i agree with trimoto125 the tors system they always dick up but if it runs fine then leave it....mikuni carb is a defenite upgrade.... fun sleds but heavy

techmaster330 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Ok so now that I have it I want some aftermarket or performance parts. I definitely need an exhaust because it is lacking one. Any upgrades you guys think would help it out some would be highly appreciated. Post up some links if you could that would be a great help. The one thing that I know for a fact doesn't need upgraded is the track cause it looks brand new. I've ridden sleds before so making it too fast or too strong isn't an issue but I've never worked on one so bear with me if I take a little while to figure out what you're talking about. Is there any way to update the wiring and the gauges? Also it possible to upgrade the suspension a little?

killerklown is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    There are still DG pipes available on Ebay all the time.

--
    I know psi and aaen ,made after market pipes for the phaser's......not sure on the srv. I suggest finding a wiring diagram if you are trying to upgrade gauges.

--

Srv

I have a # of SRV's and a few parts sleds. I have an 83 that I bought right out of high school. I love how they look and perform. I also have 5 extra tuned pipes for the SRV hanging in my shed, a couple DG's one PSI and this past spring I found a set of twin Aaen's that are going on a diffarant 83 SRV that I have. I am also get the twin carb kit for that one. They are a little heavy but nonthing compared to a liquid sled.

--
    Wow, have any exhaust you'd be willing to let go? I've been trying to find one but I couldn't so I ended up buying a stock one on ebay that is rough. I just cannot seem to find parts anywhere for it for a decent price.

--

srv parts

just pm me your phone #. The one DG is new and the other is used but very nice, the PSI is used and has some small cracks but would make the biggest increase. The dg's only need 1 or 2 jet sizes bigger but the PSI recomends 4-5.

--
    its not that heavy of a sled though i have one

--
    The Sled if in good condition should got about anywhere from 83 to 87 mph and you have to usually have to rev it up to 5 or 6 rpm's before it launches and yes its a good sled

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Way to respond to a two year old thread.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //