//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clutch questions- Indy 500

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Clutch questions- Indy 500

So my clutch on my 89 Indy 500 needs some work. Should I just rebuild the stock one? How do you tune it for better launches? Should I buy a Comet? Am I better off going through the stock one than buying a Comet?

Will this clutch fit my 89 Indy 500?-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...Q5fAccessories
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    the comet is basicly a knock off polaris clutch so stick with what you got... if you can find someone or a shop that can remove the spider but if you cant take the cover off and take the weights out and thats as far as you can go because you need a tool to remove the spider. any parts that are wore replace, spray everything with carb cleaner and polish all moving surfaces except the sheaves(where the belt rides) with mothers polish. for the sheaves use emory cloth or a scotchbrite while the engine is idling with the belt off they clean up pretty fast that way.
    if your clutch is thrashed and needs to be rebuilt EPI has rebuild kits for about $180 https://www.erlandsonperformance.com...Code=polclrbld
    Last edited by lndy650; 10-07-2009 at 11:15 AM.

--
    as far as better launches you can install a heavier starting load spring for a higher rpm engagement this is the spring i ran in my 500 its the EPI Black
    https://www.erlandsonperformance.com...duct_Code=PS-4
    Last edited by lndy650; 10-07-2009 at 11:20 AM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Nice. I bought some kind of puller tool thing last year because I knew I was going to be taking it apart for the crank seals. I hope that's the tool you're talking about. I'monna order one of those springs, thanks man.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    the puller removes the clutch but to get the spider off you need one of these
    http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?productid=20138
    if your clutch isnt shot you can probably get away without it but if the buttons are wore too bad you have to remove the spider to change them

--
    Button, button, who's got the button?

I can't say I know what a button is, but I guess I'll find out.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    ya youll see once you get into it. the buttons are like little plastic pieces so theres no metal on metal friction

--
    So I was taking a quick peek at my clutch yesterday and I noticed that one of my pawls(?) or it might be what you were referring to as the weight is not on the roller like it should be. It's off to one side and not contacting the roller like it should. I wish I had a camera... Any idea what I'm talking about?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    heres a pic of how it should look. the nut i pointed out is what you need that tool for but where i marked the buttons if they are good you can just move the cluctch sheaf back and forth to polish in there and you wont need the tool.
    the weight and rollers should look like this one (minus the rust)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 027.jpg  

--
    I can't thank you enough for all your help Indy.

So one of my weights is off to the side instead of being on the roller. I'monna have to just take it all apart and go from there.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    no problem man im a snowmobile tech so i enjoy talkin about sleds. ya once you get it apart youll see whats up with it.
    its too bad your not in ny i would just service it for ya.

--
    John if you want you can send it to me. After all I work at a yamaha and polaris dealer. I can do and get what you need

--
    ya i work at a snomobile shop too but he can probably fix it himself cheaper than shipping it

--
    Thanks alot guys. I prefer to do as much as I can myself, both to learn and also because I can.

So, where to begin today?

Turns out my clutch is junk. I took it apart and it was extremely obvious that it needed weights, the bolts that hold the weights in, and rollers. The bolts holding the weights in were smoked. One was worn at least halfway through! Two of the rollers had flat spots and were very wobbly, and the holes in the weights were all ob-longed. I brought the disassembled clutch up to the local Polaris dealer (About a mile away) to see if they would replace the rollers and I was gonna do the rest. The tech took a good look at my ate-up clutch and told me I need a whole new one. The off-center weight had chewed into the aluminum and weakened it. Anybody got an extra clutch?

On a better note, I pulled the motor to do the crank seals and brought it up to Dirtcrasher's house because he had never seen the inside of a sled engine before and was a bit curious. The crank seals came out just fine, and boy were they due! The old ones were cooked! I've got a line on a free 650 that hopefully has a better clutch, and also a decent track.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    i have piles of clutches so let me know if you need one ill set one up. probly like $20+shipping and it will be set to go

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //