//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: are tripples good or bad?

Escanabajosh is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

are tripples good or bad?

okay so i been thinking about getting a sled this year (will be my first,rode many but never had my own). i talked to my girlfriends dad and he told me to not buy tripples cause they go to hell and need to be rebuilt all the time, or somthing about berings? anyways firgure yous guys might know a little more on the subject.

Yamatrike400 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Anyone who says triples are bad does not know what they are talking about. Yeah, some triples had some problems with the crank bearings but that's only when you start throwing on pipes and really revving them. I love mine....Nothing goes like 3 holes....

Three Air R's

--
    Only thing bad I can think of is they cost more to replace parts since you have 3 of everything instead of 2.

Rob

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    I had a 95' Polaris XCR600 that ate up a crank bearing on the PTO side, not piped, all stock. Previous owner did not take care of so well.

Now I have a 98' Polaris XCR700, and I love it!!!! Getting a Camoplast 1 1/4 this year

TF 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14!
    Raffa's IceFest 08, 09, 10,11,13!

SAY IT!!!!!BUD LIGHTS AND RED LIGHTS!!!!!!

Yamatrike400 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The mono-block 600's had some problems with the PTO bearing not receiving enough oil. There's a simple mod to fix it.
    Three Air R's

--
    the early monoblock polaris is what gave triples a bad name. ive had about 6 polaris 580/600 monoblocks and 4 blew the crank one was the newer 600 engine and had a wider bearing and the other i sold before i rode it not to mention all the blown up xlts in the shop every year. its amazing polaris sold more xlts in under a decade than yamahas entire history. its best to steer clear of those engines. most triples are very dependable if you mantain them(just like any other engine.) my last triple was an arctic cat thundercat with 220hp it felt like it was going to rip my arms off... ive owned many sleds and i work at a sled shop so let me know your potential buys and ill try to tell you what i know about them. oh and like yamatrike400 said triple pipes and rpms can shorten life expectancy a bit...
    Last edited by lndy650; 10-29-2009 at 02:35 AM.

--
    hey yamatrike nice 650! you can tell by my screenname im a 650 fan... ive had a few mod 650's. man nothing like an old 650 turning 9250 with full mod Aaen triples and bored carbs flying by new 700's.

--
    I've known people that have had tripples and the biggest issue was just regular matience. Also some of the tripples i've seen that had trouble , involved the owner trying to mess with the carbs and of course didnt get the properly synced. Usually they had one cylinder running lean and burned it up. Thats only my personal experience though. I would say if you can get a good solid tripple get it. I haven't owned one but i've spent alot of time on them. You better be prepared to keep the gas flowing though. The'll drink alot of it. :P
    1998 F150 reg cab
    Elan Ski-doo resto mod
    2012 Brute force 650
    98 ranger street truck project

All my rigs are Loud and proud

http://bikepics.com/members/mitchell-gosse/

--
    Quote Originally Posted by lndy650 View Post
    hey yamatrike nice 650! you can tell by my screenname im a 650 fan... ive had a few mod 650's. man nothing like an old 650 turning 9250 with full mod Aaen triples and bored carbs flying by new 700's.
    Thanks, Ive got more pics over at s. Ive got the bored carbs but not aaen's I have some dynoport pipes which are probably the crappiest designed pipes made. Trying to get some PSI's right now, had a shot at some deckers but the guy was a dick.

And yeah they do really Guzzle the gasoline. But you cant deny the sound of a piped tripple!
    Last edited by Yamatrike400; 10-29-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Three Air R's

--
    i had a set of Deckers and ill tell ya id crawl through 10 miles of and pay 300 bucks to get another pair lol! the dynoports acually make decent power i had a dyno sheet around somewhere... i know Deckers make almost 120hp on a stock 650 engine.

Russell350x you need some aftermarket pipes on that thing! the xcr 700's are animals! like 140hp with pipes

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    lol, what pipes are good for those?

--
    PSI, Decker, SLP(starting line products), HTG(hot to go)

--
    I'll have to think about those....how much tinkering do you have to do to the carbs? It runs perfect now, don't really want to mess with it lol.

--
    usually go up 2 sizes on the main and thats about it...if you like it the way it is dont bother... they are pretty fast with stock pipes.

stoney420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    as stated already, the earlier polaris monoblocks did have some crank issues after modding them, other then those, theres no reason not to get a triple triple.
    the triple pipes do make a huge difference in power, on some models/pipes they can be a pain to get it tuned in sometimes, but once their tuned correctly their reliable and they flyyy(35-45 hp gain on my ultra, i think around 18-25 hp gain on most 600's) .. i just sold my 95 xcr 600(94 xlt 600 motor in it) with decker pipes on it, i didnt care for them to much, i had slp's on it before the deckers and liked the slp's alot better. another brand of pipes that i hear alot of good things about are CrankShop's, allthough i dont have any personal experience with them. i have psi's on my 87 indy 600, bored .20 over, shaved heads, ported, clutched, it walks all over that xcr, man i love that old sled.
    just picked up a 98 ultra 680 a few weeks ago, came stock besides 144 studs, looking for a set of slp's or psi modblasters for it(anyone?), for now i just put on a dynoport can until i find a set of pipes. orderd up some new slydog plastic skis and bergstrom triple point carbides for it there goes $500 bucks! but the metal skis with purple ski skins just had to go!! lol!! bring on the snow/iceeee!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ultra 700.jpg   ultra 700 2.jpg   ultra 700 3.jpg  
    Last edited by stoney420; 11-14-2009 at 11:56 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //