//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki dr350/ atc350x conversion

--
    thank for the feed back,front rake is clearly an issue, i will try and swap the forks round to give trailing front axle and poss lower the forks 30mm to help, as for the sprockets,will have 14mm offset front sprocket made by talon ,and everthing lines up

--

dr 350 x rake adjustments

swappped the forks around to help with the rake - what do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more big blue 006.jpg   more big blue 008.jpg  

--
    He77 yes, nice work! I agree about the rake, but it looks great. I loved thr DR350 motor, bulletproof & electric start.
    Give us a ride report, OK?

--
    Man that thing is nice. I love it... ..

--
    As a heads up, you will probably want to add some sort of gusset to the rear of the frame to strengthen it. I noticed this on my 600X, I'm guessing the bike frames just don't like the torsional stresses that a wide axle add. If you can just make a piece that goes in the frame rails around the back of the seat it will do some good. You could probably even make something that bolts in if you don't want to weld it. If you don't, I imagine that you'll see that curved peice that is under the seat crack after some decent riding...Otherwise looks good, can't do much else about the rake. I did the same thing on my 600X (flipped the axle) and it helped a lot. Have fun,
    -Jed

--
    Guys - need some help - have hit a brick wall as far as the front brake is concerned. Initially tried to use the stock dr 350 caliper with a modified dr 350 250 mm disc but even with machining the front caliper fowled on the inside of the wheel . I am using the triz 12 inch front wheel and so then moved to a crf250 front caliper but now the triz disc is too small to reach . Its a 203mm stock disc and i think i need a 230mm disc with a 4x 45mm mounting set up with a 40mm centre hole . Does any one know of such a brake disc before i wedge up £200 to have one made by ebc !!! . I am now having sleep less nights thinking about this and cannot seem to move the caliper in unless perhaps i consider cutting the forks mounts. All you clever boys , please give me some ideas! photos to follow .

--

brake photos

here we go some photos of the triz disc mounted to triz hub with triz wheel and crf 250 caliper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more dr350 xx 015.jpg   more dr350 xx 016.jpg   more dr350 xx 018.jpg   more dr350 xx 014.jpg   more dr350 xx 017.jpg  

--
    some of you may have now spotted another issue - i will get full brake effort on one pad and 75percent on the other - if you look at the first photo this will become clear so i dont see any other option than to cut the fork mounts off and start again !!!

audioworks04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Could you just build a new caliper mount instead of hacking off the fork mounts? Not sure if this would help or not hard to tell without it infront of me. Worst case you would have to cut the mounts off the forks, but then you have to weld mounts back to the cast lower fork tubes, so you would probably be best off just shelling out the cash to have ebc make you a rotor and then you would also gain in your braking abilities. Trike looks great is this one going to be streetable also?

2005 CRF450R Alum Frame build done, switching to inverts.
    86 trx250r fmf fatty fmf q k&n v force reeds gold valve rear shock with eibach spring.
    86 atc250r stock sand only
    88 NX250 mint rainy day
    85 kawi js550 stand up basicly stock
    87 kawi js550 scary fast for a stand up

--

dr350x

thank mate - will bear that in mind, think i pay have sorted it stock double caliper is at the shop having excess material trimmed and then will retry the set up- done pics available soon hopefully

--
    Nice Build. I wish my mind could come up with a build like this.
    Keep on Triking!!!! "I am the NIGHT RIDER!!!"

RIP Ninja!

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-thestud25

Trike Fest 2011, 2012 Vet!
    Founding member of the Haspin 6ft Bats Club!!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    86 Kawasak KLT110. All documentation, bought from original owner.
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

--
    I would consider making your own disc, but I have access to a CNC plasma and some other really nice tools. For me the front brake doesn't do much other than give me something to grab while I'm riding wheelies. Seems like if you're careful you could cut one out of a steel plate that was the correct thickness. To make it easy, you can draw it up on a computer (even on Paint or powerpoint or something else) then print it out and use spary adhesive to stick it to the metal. You can then easily center punch all your holes and trim the outside. Might not last real long, but it would be cheap and at least maybe then you could make one and find out if you need to change anything before you commissioned EBC to cut you one for big bucks...

I wonder if there's some way you could use a sprocket. You would have decreased area for the pads, but maybe you'd luck out and get the bolt pattern right? Just ideas, thinking out loud.

--

dr350x

Came up with the solution, i think , i already have a dr350 250mm brand new disc so i have a local machinist making an aluminium carrier to match the triz hub - its na 4x 45mm hole set up and should be perfect with the standard twin pot nissin caliper . I will however need to machine down the caliper its self cos its hugh to fit inside the 12" triz rim - looks dead simple with a good lathe ! Can someone please tell me what clearance you run between the caliper and the rim - i should have 5mm and tnink with a true rim and new bearing this should be fine not to mention much better brakes- I will take a few snaps soon -Nick

--

more fun

Heres a few pictures of my latest frustration - began machining the caliper bit by bit to squeeze it in there and as you can see still not enoughto make it fit- making a caliper bracket is now not a solution because its made to allow to correct disc alignment and circumference so making the caliper fit is the only option!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 001.jpg   more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 003.jpg   more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 002.jpg  

--

coming together now

Bike is coming together now - TALON sprockets sent me the new 7mm offset front sprocket so i have put the chain on wired up the lights and installed the fender- sorted out the chopper rake and adjusted ride height so as to sit level and all in all i am very pleased - what do you guys think!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 004.jpg   more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 005.jpg   more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 007.jpg   more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 008.jpg   more trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 006.jpg  
    Last edited by nick walke; 09-12-2010 at 12:58 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //