//ArrowChat Code

Thread: YTM 225DX, remove choke from carb?

unclejemima is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

YTM 225DX, remove choke from carb?

Hi guys,
    Just cleaning the carb on my 1984 YTM 225DX, but I can not seem to get the choke assembly off of the carb. It seems easy enough...unscrew the choke mechanism on the carb, and pull it out, but I can only unscrew it and then when I go to remove it off the carb body, it feels as if there is something holding it inside. Any idea's? Should I just yank on it real hard? Oh, and the manual seems to be no help with this either...

Thanks,
    -mark

--
    i dont see a reason to take it off.
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--
    I've had the same problem, it is corroded. Set it upright and keep soaking it with PB Blaster.

It should eventually come out. Be careful, if the cable breaks, you'll have to thread a screw right in the top of what's left and use that to pull it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MonroeMike;
    I've had the same problem, it is corroded. Set it upright and keep soaking it with PB Blaster.
    It should eventually come out. Be careful, if the cable breaks, you'll have to thread a screw right in the top of what's left and use that to pull it.
    Sounds good, thanks! So it IS supposed to pull out after I unscrew it from the carb body...that's what I thought!

Funny, I'm taking apart 2 machines (YTM225DX and YTM200E) and both have similar carbs...both have the choke stuck where it will not come out! This must be a common problem if the choke is not used for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by harryredtrike;
    i dont see a reason to take it off.
    I'm cleaning the carb and I want to get the carb on my workbench so I can clean it good...with the choke still connected, I can not completely remove the carb from the trike.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    Sounds good, thanks! So it IS supposed to pull out after I unscrew it from the carb body...that's what I thought!

Funny, I'm taking apart 2 machines (YTM225DX and YTM200E) and both have similar carbs...both have the choke stuck where it will not come out! This must be a common problem if the choke is not used for a long time.

I'm cleaning the carb and I want to get the carb on my workbench so I can clean it good...with the choke still connected, I can not completely remove the carb from the trike.
    ok i gotcha,just wondering
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--
    The end of the choke cable (this one came right out).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails choke cable.jpg  

--
    My ytm choke plunger was kind of stuck when I took mine apart. The o-ring that is on the plunger gets dried out and with a little corrosion they like to stick. Like said above soak it in PB blast for a day and it should pull out a little better.
    YTM-200, Wheeling machine!!!

1985 Honda 200x...

...Just a simple mild 200x

--
    Cool, thanks guys! I will soak it in PB blast.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by WIkid500 View Post
    soak it in PB blast for a day and it should pull out a little better.
    Ok, the one carb I soaked the choke in PB blast, and it came right out after 15 minutes...

...the other carb's choke has been soaking in PB blast for 3 days now...still won't budge...Any other idea's?

Thanks!

--
    So can you hook up just a normal (small engine/car) choke cable to this choke or is it a specific cable ?
    New to three wheelers but not to wrenching.

My trike: 1984 YTM 225dx

Member of 3wheelerworld.com, 3wheeler.com and pwctoday.com

--
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    Ok, the one carb I soaked the choke in PB blast, and it came right out after 15 minutes...

...the other carb's choke has been soaking in PB blast for 3 days now...still won't budge...Any other idea's?

Thanks!
    unclejemima...any progress...did you get the choke unstuck?
    I having the same problem and I'm soaking it tonight...see what happens tomorrow.
    AZSpeedBuggy from Tucson, Arizona
    1983 Yamaha Tri-Moto 200K, original owner
    1982 Honda ATC70, was son's bike when he was 3 back in 1984

--
    Should you just pull it out and leave it out? I bought a ytm200 carb on ebay and my ytm200 starts on the first pull, but after it warms after a few minutes won't idle and it runs like crap like it is flooding.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeckeradpro View Post
    Should you just pull it out and leave it out? I bought a ytm200 carb on ebay and my ytm200 starts on the first pull, but after it warms after a few minutes won't idle and it runs like crap like it is flooding.
    No. The choke circuit preforms a specific function. Something is wrong with your carb. Odds are that either your choke is stuck open, your float height is wrong, or the needle is not sealing, your fuel screw is open too much, or your pilot jet is wrong or loose.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I was able to free my Choke using this method:

*** Dangerous ***

i used choke cleaner, PB Blast ( penetrating oil), to attempt to free up the choke mech from the Carb body.

Pull cable, does not budge.

I wiped the carb down and drained of all choke cleaner, making sure the choke cable was unscrewed from the carb....

cleaned up my bench and readied the fire extinguisher...

using a small butane lighter / torch ( windproof 'blowtorch' lighter) we carefully applied flame to the carb body while pulling gently but firmly on the choke cable. after only a few (5 seconds) the cable started moving and was able to pull it clear of the carb body.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //