//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the best oil to run in a honda 200x?

--

What's the best oil to run in a honda 200x?

What is the best oil to run in a 1987 200X? I have always used Honda oil. I have not changed it in mine yet. I have heard Mobile 1 is good oil? Any good ideas. I want only the best for mine.

--
    I either use the Honda or Valvoline ATV oil.
    1985 Auto X lots of upgrades
    1982 Honda 185s 3inch wheel spacers, bassani exhaust
    2001 400ex
    1983 110

--
    I run Amsoil in everything of mine. My 200x gets this: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx I figure ten bux a quart is cheap insurance when the 200x only takes a bit over a quart. I guess honda oil is fine, I have a bunch of money in my engine so I don't mind the extra cost for a synthetic oil.
    YTM-200, Wheeling machine!!!

1985 Honda 200x...

...Just a simple mild 200x

--
    I will do some research ,,I think I am caught between Mobile 1 and Amsoil. Thanks guys.

--
    Well, it's a very special oil and only I have it.....

You will need to send the trike and a Cashiers check for 2200$ made out to me.

In return I will write a 6000$ check for your troubles from my Nigerian bank account.

I cannot promise that the same trike will return
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

big yeller is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    thats too funny
    1984 yamaha 200k
    1985 honda 70...some times swap the 125 lifan for fun
    1984 honda 200es
    1985 honda 200x
    atvs:
    2013 Honda Rancher 420 ES

pudge is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    run oil in it that was available in 1987. these trikes were made a long time ago and are spec'd for oil of that time period. i know i run regular 10w-40 in my SX (becuse of the auto cluth) im not thinking that synthetic is the way to go in a 25 year old machine

dajeepman is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    castrol 10-40 what went what the service manual said. I usualy put 10-30 in my 200s but i went by the book this time. I can tell a big different on how the clutches likes the 10-40 lol

--
    What I've tended to notice in most trikes is, it's not really the oil you run, but it's how often you change your oil and oil filters and clean your oil screens that matters. If a previous owner didn't take very good care and perform regular maintenance on the trike that you have now, then the damage is basically already done. You can use walmart oil, you just have to keep the bike regularly maintained. Oil and filter changes and screen cleanings. Valve and timing chain maintenance if a 4 stroke. Keep your timing correct and regular spark plug changes. Oil and grease necessary areas. These things are what make a difference. We've all bought a trike at one time or another that a previous owner or owners had not properly maintained and have had fits bringing it back to the point of being reliable again. It pays in the long run to keep up with the maintanance on our trikes. Lack of proper care will kill a trike very fast. And the cost compared to rebuilding an engine or repairing an engine case is very small.
    Nicholson 500x (Project)
    Nicholson 185s
    Nicholson 110 (That takes an atc70 tank)
    Ascott 500 head/350x (Project)
    Homebuilt Racer Chromoly Suspension 110 (Ragin Runt)
    PK Racing Suspension 70
    A+ Inc Suspension 70
    AWS Aluminum 90 frame
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame rd350
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame 90

3wheeledjunkie is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I always wondered about the oil in this old of a machine. Beause, guys with older automotive engines have had trouble running moderns oils in some cases. Wonder if it applies to older Atv's too? By the way, since I work at a Honda Dealer, I can only legally recommend Honda GN4 (Sponsored by HRC). LOL
    1985 ATC250ES Big Red, Low Hours,
    1983 ATC185 200S jug, need crankcase or for sell
    1985 ATC110 Stock, Hondaline headlight guard
    1982 ATC70 Fun

IT'S A HONDA

--
    The Honda oil is good stuff. I'm just running regular 5W30 (winter). For the money the Valvoline and Catroil motorcycle and ATV oil are the best. The clutches in my Nighthawk like Valvoline motorcycle oil more than Amsoil. If you want synthetic, the Honda synthetic blend is better than Amsoil. Anyone who doesn't believe me try Amsoil, then Honda oil in a bike or ATC, ATV with wet clutches. The Amsoil doesn't have enough additives for the clutch.

Mobil 1 is a scam, read a consumer reports test on oils a long time back and after 3000 miles regular Castrol GTX had more viscosity than Mobile 1. Castroil and Valvoline were top performer, and at 4 dollars a quart vs 10 for Amsoil or Honda oil you can change you oil over 2x as much.

If you have always used Honda oil, like it and have a good place to get it and don't mind it costs a little more than Castroil or Valvoline, stick with it, its good stuff.

I run the 5W30 in the winter since thats what the manual recommends for cold, the bike starts a lot easier and my kickstarter doesn't slip as much.

3wheeledjunkie is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    You guys do know that Honda oil is made by Mobil right? Right straight from my Service Reps mouth. NO .
    1985 ATC250ES Big Red, Low Hours,
    1983 ATC185 200S jug, need crankcase or for sell
    1985 ATC110 Stock, Hondaline headlight guard
    1982 ATC70 Fun

IT'S A HONDA

--
    i got a question for you guys, im getting ready to do a full restoration on my atc110, when breaking it in (im gonna replace all major components) can i use sythetic oil, and if not how long till i can use synthetic oil, and should i even use synthetic oil at all? i dont mind a price at all.

--
    what about adding lucas oil

--
    Never add lucas oil. It will mess up the clutch(s). These small engines are not designed for oil stabilizers, if the oil looks thin, its time for a change. If it smokes, its time for an overhaul. I have ran Napa 10w30 and 10w40 for over 8 years in probably all my bikes, and havnt had one issue with it. I run either that or vavoline ATV oil - 10w40. Changing the oil is the most important thing you can do to keep your motor running strong.
    THE 80's RAGE! Currently owns:
    81, 85 Yamaha Tri Moto 125
    83 Yamaha Tri Moto 200 x2
    82,83 Yamaha Tri Moto 175 project
    85 Yamaha Tri Z 250
    84 Kawasaki Tecate 250
    84 Honda ATC 70
    85 Honda ATC 350X
    84 Honda ATC 250R
    (2) 84 Honda ATC 200x
    82, 83 Honda ATC 185s
    81 ATC 200