//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Viper how to get it unstuck!!!???

--

Yamaha Viper how to get it unstuck!!!???

im new to snowmachines and just got this viper 700 2 stroke, its a decent machine. it has from what i can tell absoulutley no reverse. the track and tunnel are aftermarket 160 inch track. when i get it stuck it will not roll backwards even on smooth snow and ice the track will not roll you have to give it gas or it wont move? its kinda hard trying to back down a 600 lb machine and how the heck can i load unload it? i used a snowbank to get it in but getting it out is a nightmare? any help is appreciated!!

--
    thats pretty much the nature of sleds my friend. they are not easily pushed or pulled by hand especially when the rear suspension is caked with snow adding weight and drag. the best advice i can give you when you get stuck is to "tamp" a large area around and a distance in front of your sled with your feet. make sure the running boards arent resting on the snow giving you the effect of "high center" like you can get on a wheeler. many sleds dont come with reverse as a standard option, and im here to tell ya from experience, that when stuck, reverse usually just makes things worse. as to your question about why it will not freely roll backwards or forward, its the nature of the sleds driveline. if you remove the drivebelt, the sled will roll MUCH easier. the reason for this is that if the belt is left on, when you attempt to push or pull it by hand, not only are you trying to turn that large, heavy track, but via the driveline, you are also fighting with the belt turning the engine itself to a degree. as far as an easier way to haul it in your pickup...there really isnt one when your sled doesnt have reverse. i used to haul by pickup truck years back when i was 18 years old and "strong like bool". but nowadays a tilt-bed trailer is the method for me. when you tilt the trailer bed, its MUCH easier to drag the sled backwards and onto the ground. i have been a sledder most of my life and currently own 3 Ski-Doos, so what i am telling you here is from years of experience. i hope i have been helpful to you.

Joe
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Never stop going up hill!!! Also if you do tunnel youeself down Lift up the ass end and drag it to the side a foot or so.....if you have 2 people one guy can pull on the ski and one guy walk it out of the hole with a bit of throttle.....Hardest part is getting the track out of the hole....As for getting it out of the pickup box....Tye a strap to the grab bar---and then to the nearers tree/pole..other truck...and drive away let it flop out the back...
    1985 Tri-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by mywifeknowseverything
    Just hit the Freakin Gas and Hold on!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    thats pretty much the nature of sleds my friend. they are not easily pushed or pulled by hand especially when the rear suspension is caked with snow adding weight and drag. the best advice i can give you when you get stuck is to "tamp" a large area around and a distance in front of your sled with your feet. make sure the running boards arent resting on the snow giving you the effect of "high center" like you can get on a wheeler. many sleds dont come with reverse as a standard option, and im here to tell ya from experience, that when stuck, reverse usually just makes things worse. as to your question about why it will not freely roll backwards or forward, its the nature of the sleds driveline. if you remove the drivebelt, the sled will roll MUCH easier. the reason for this is that if the belt is left on, when you attempt to push or pull it by hand, not only are you trying to turn that large, heavy track, but via the driveline, you are also fighting with the belt turning the engine itself to a degree. as far as an easier way to haul it in your pickup...there really isnt one when your sled doesnt have reverse. i used to haul by pickup truck years back when i was 18 years old and "strong like bool". but nowadays a tilt-bed trailer is the method for me. when you tilt the trailer bed, its MUCH easier to drag the sled backwards and onto the ground. i have been a sledder most of my life and currently own 3 Ski-Doos, so what i am telling you here is from years of experience. i hope i have been helpful to you.

Joe

thanks for the advice to both of yall. i heard there is a reverse option for my sled, i wonder if i could install it as it would help out greatly just getting it outa the garage and truck!! btw that quote about the 3 wheeler you have is awesome!!!!

--
    happy to help...and yes, in many cases you can still get reverse kits for older sleds but some may have been discontinued due to age. check on places like ebay and others, you might find something there. if you do, be prepared to shell out some coin, most people who have reverse kits on a sleds tend to keep them, and when they do sell them for whatever reason, there is never any shortage of buyers. i usually see mechanical reverse kits for sleds like mine go for $250 or more.

thanks for the words on my sig, but i cant take credit for saying it originally. i saw it at the beginning of a youtube vid a couple years ago that ended up showing a well modded, ATC250r spanking some banshees and 450s on an ice track. waayy cool vid and i would credit the quote to the poster of that vid if i could ever find it again...
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    haha, glad its not yours: now i can use it!... my sleds fairly new so im gonna check if its available before i get a hyenia!!

--
    How are the snowmobile trails in Honolulu? lmao

Rob

--
    lol, i finally changed the location to alaska...

about these bikes, how do you check the crankcase oil? i didnt see a dipstick or window? and is it a big job to change the belt or can it be done with regular tools trailside?

--
    There is normally a dipstick- i however am not familiar with that model..might just be a fill bolt and check bolt...Changing the belt...Most have a tool to open up the secondary to get it off easy...in a pinch most can be taken off alot like a chain on a bike...just wear gloves..
    1985 Tri-Z-

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiirider View Post
    lol, i finally changed the location to alaska...

about these bikes, how do you check the crankcase oil? i didnt see a dipstick or window? and is it a big job to change the belt or can it be done with regular tools trailside?
    i think you mean the chaincase right??? some chaincases have drain plugs on the bottom, others dont. for the ones that dont, simply remove the outer chaincase cover, usually 4 or 5 bolts. you will have a few ounces of oil spill into the bellypan, but its not a massive amount so its no trouble to wipe up. refill the chaincase via the dipstick tube or fill hole whichever yours has. if you did mean crankcase, on your 2-stroke, there isnt any oil there....the only sleds with crankcase oil would be your 4-stroke models...
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    gotcha, i was thinkin like a 2stroke dirtbikes gearbox oil

--
    i see.....well, sleds dont have gearboxes like bikes and wheelers...the engine is standalone, like a chainsaw or weedwacker, no transmission, well not like a bike anyway...there is a chaincase on the opposite side as the clutches. this is where the power from the secondary clutch/jackshaft is geared down and transferred to the main track driveshaft. this chain case houses the gears and chain that allows this. most only hold about 8 ounces of oil, and should be changed annually. you can get chaincase oil from your dealer, or you can use Amsoil, Klotz or any other good brand of snowmobile chain case oil. many people just use automatic transmission fluid as it flows well at low temps as is needed for this application.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    Ride red hit the nail on the head....guess i assumed....anyways...if they dont have a drain plug you can use a hand pump vac to suck the fluid out...Assuming its been serviced Regularly....Never hurts to pop the cover off and clean up the fillings, Dont forget to adjust the chain tension too.
    1985 Tri-Z-

--
    thanks for the info. doing better at riding, still haveing trouble sidehilling and offcambers tho... practice makes perfect i guess...

--
    yeah, sidehilling and other "boondocking" manuevers take practice. but its a blast to go carve up some powder thats deep enough to lean the sled hard in a turn, bankin it over on its side and powering outta there...i love it!!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //