//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2004 TRX250EX conversion - w/ vid

--

2004 TRX250EX conversion - w/ vid

So this was what I started with:

OK - so I wanted to get this thing done this weekend - and it looks like I should be able to. As of last night - I got it tore down to the bare frame for final welding and gusseting. Here it was as of Friday night:

Upon tear down I was extremely surprised at how nice this machine was. Every bolt once cracked loose was un-threaded with my fingers. Here in western PA Honda bikes with drum brakes go through hell. When I got into these I was surprised to see that the factory seals had kept all the mud and water out for the past 6 years as this is a 2004 model. Here are two pictures of the drum brakes. Keep in mind - this is how it looked when I opened them up - no cleaning required here:

My cousin welded and gusseted it up for me. Here it the frame once final welded:

And some paint:

and finally some assembly pictures:

and as she sits now:

I should finish this bike up tomorrow night if all goes well.

So far so good - no problems and everything fitment wise is spot on. The more of these you do the easier they get. This being #3 - they should only get better and better.
    Last edited by atctim; 02-24-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

audioworks04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I think that this conversion looks much much better than your previous ex conversion. What forks are those, and why not use 85/86 250r forks? I understand not using inverts due to price and the lower speed and existing suspension of the 250ex oem. My family has an 05 250ex and it is a wheelie monster from the factory, how hard is this one to ride aggressively with the even lighter front end.

2005 CRF450R Alum Frame build done, switching to inverts.
    86 trx250r fmf fatty fmf q k&n v force reeds gold valve rear shock with eibach spring.
    86 atc250r stock sand only
    88 NX250 mint rainy day
    85 kawi js550 stand up basicly stock
    87 kawi js550 scary fast for a stand up

--

--
    Audio works. I used 200X front suspension. I feel that it most fits this bike compared to the rear suspension of it. Honestly - 250R forks would be over-kill on this little trail bike.

The first EX we built was wheelie happy - but not uncontrollably by any means, like you mentioned - Kind of like the quad. I am able to ride it aggressively on trails all day long. I honestly wish I could ride this thing exclusively on trails.

Now this new one is 1.5 " longer as we stretched it a little bit to try to compensate -

--
    Nice job Tim!
    86 ATC 350X

--
    cant wait to ride it buddy! looks AWESOME!
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    That thing looks awesome Tim, NICE work! Love the simplicity of it.

--
    thanks guys - just waiting on a front wheel and a new set of bars. Will update hopefully tonight once those parts get on. Pretty much finished it all up last night except the above mentioned parts! It really is a nice looking trike!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    Love the simplicity of it.
    Simplicity is really what has driven this design to where it is now. I know it is very non traditional - but I can have a basically new trike by building one for about the same money as restoring a trike - and about 1/16th of the work. We will have approx 12-15 man hours in this build. Not much considering.
    Last edited by atctim; 02-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.

--
    Hey there Tim: Congrats on this project, THE QUICKEST OF THEM ALL!!!!! And it looks absolutely great. Like Billy said, I love the simplicity on this. Were there any challenges at all on this one? I think I can get a "FREE" TRX 250X that would be great for this. Is that the stock fuel tank? This looks awesome.
    Did I say quick as hell? Man, that was quick.

TORKER.
    Last edited by torker; 02-22-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    THOSE WHO SAY IT CANNOT BE DONE, SHOULD NOT GET IN THE WAY OF THOSE BUSY DOING IT...

--
    ATCs never went away, they just rugged up for the winter.

Looks like the sun is shinning in your shed!

P.S. It think it's going to need some wheel spacers, looks a little top heavy?
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    To Torker and Ozquad:

Torker - the only challenges is getting the rake right - which is not all that challenging. We have this one set identical to the 200X since that is the front end we are using. Another small challenge is getting the clearance for the fork tubes when the steering is cocked completely (and making it look right when this happens). This one really surprised me how good it looks. When we originally looked at it with the quad front fenders we did not think we would ever get it to look good - but with a dremel and lots of patience - I love how the shrouds look. One last challenge (for me anyway) is the actual welding / fabricating. My cousin Jake is a welder by trait and is very good and efficient at what he does. I think he went from tack welded to completed in about 1.5 hours. This includes final welding, gusset building, grinding and everything. He also has a plasma cutter which is key for fast and efficient gusset cutting. Also - it should be noted he has a pipe bender that makes fabricating the lower section of frame a snap.

Ozquad - It really can not be seen too good in the pictures - but there are 1 3/4" wheel spacers on each side for a total or +3.5" width. As it sits - it has about the same width and length as a stock 350X. The 250EX is narrow by nature so wheel spacers are a must. I have searched high and low and can not find any manufacturer that makes a plus length axle for the 250EX. Our first 250EX conversion has 3" spacers on each size for a +6" and I personally find it a bit too wide - but since it is the wife's main ride - I keep it that way for added stability. this one seems about perfect. It does sit a bit higher than a traditional trike - but our other one does not feel tippy or top heavy when riding it. Also - alot of the "top heavy" looks is from the low bars in the picture. We are putting a much higher rise bar on it and this will put it into perspective a little better I think.

Since we are building this one to sell, we went ahead and welded the VIN plate from the quad to the steering neck. This should make for a better sell since we have the title for this bike and it can be registered without any hassle.

Last edited by atctim; 02-22-2010 at 12:09 PM.

--
    OK - the build is done. We test rode it and it handles great. I am still waiting for my new bars which are a higher rise bar as these are too low. This build went very well and I am very happy with results.

Here is me and my cousin Jake - the builders / test riders

Completed bike

audioworks04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Looks good especially the tank, it flows just right with everything.

2005 CRF450R Alum Frame build done, switching to inverts.
    86 trx250r fmf fatty fmf q k&n v force reeds gold valve rear shock with eibach spring.
    86 atc250r stock sand only
    88 NX250 mint rainy day
    85 kawi js550 stand up basicly stock
    87 kawi js550 scary fast for a stand up

--

--
    Unbelievable, nice work boys.

Next quest to ask is this, is it worth more as a three wheeler?
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //