//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Big Wheel 350 help

--

Yamaha Big Wheel 350 help

i have a guy that offered to sell me his yamaha BW350. the bike itself is in decent enough shape (better than some of the trikes i've rebuilt). the motor is a frigging trainwreck. the guy was riding and sunk it in a creek so the motor is locked up, will need to be COMPLETELY rebuilt. he wants $200 for it. is it even worth it? are there any engines that i can interchange parts with?

--
    Not sure what the cost of a rebuild would be, but for 200.00 I buy it NOW!!! You could part it out for more than the asking price. I saw on another forum that a guy put a YZ 426 (?) in the BW 350. Might be a good project..

J.

tri-shee is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I bought two BW 350's for $ 100 both missing shock and the other motor was froze up . Great buy if you are wanting to fix one up .

--
    Where did you get parts for the motor? Only downside is that everything I've seen is so dang expensive for the bw350. Parts for the 80 and 200 are much cheaper. Not to mention that the engine for the 350 is a unique beast. Parts for the top end can be swapped with some other motors but apparantly the bottom end is only for this bike.

tri-shee is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by n10sivern View Post
    Where did you get parts for the motor? Only downside is that everything I've seen is so dang expensive for the bw350. Parts for the 80 and 200 are much cheaper. Not to mention that the engine for the 350 is a unique beast. Parts for the top end can be swapped with some other motors but apparantly the bottom end is only for this bike.
    I believe the connecting rod is discountinued for the bw 350 . I was told that you can get a yamaha warrior connecting rod kit will work , it is the same stroke . One of my bw 350 's motor has a knock and i beleive it needs a new rod bearing and rod . The motor clutch cover and the stater covers are discountined from yamaha and the rear fender , all of the other plastics are still available . I buy all of my parts through MRCYCLES , they are the cheapest on most parts like the fuel tank . I would buy that bike and if your not going to do anything later with the bike you can always part it out and make alot more than $ 200 .

--
    Here are pics of the bike. I'll hopefully be picking it up next Friday. Motor is broken down in a box and the side fairings aren't shown but are there. Basically a complete bike with a motor that needs to be rebuilt.

--
    well went and picked up the bike today. all in all it is in good shape. needs new bearings. fenders and all the plastics are in good shape. there is one small crack in the front fender and the tank is yellowed. the engine is already apart and needs to be rebuilt. only problem is the guy thought he had all the parts but he didn't have the stator housing or the right side crankcase/flywheel cover. he believes it is at the guys house that split the cases. i gave him $150 for it and told him i will pay the rest when he finds the missing parts. otherwise it is complete. any clues on where to find sprockets for it, especially the rear sprocket? if he can't find the missing pieces, any idea where i might find them?

--
    well went and picked up the bike today. all in all it is in good shape. needs new bearings. fenders and all the plastics are in good shape. there is one small crack in the front fender and the tank is yellowed. the engine is already apart and needs to be rebuilt. only problem is the guy thought he had all the parts but he didn't have the stator housing or the right side crankcase/flywheel cover. he believes it is at the guys house that split the cases. i gave him $150 for it and told him i will pay the rest when he finds the missing parts. otherwise it is complete. any clues on where to find sprockets for it, especially the rear sprocket? if he can't find the missing pieces, any idea where i might find them?
    You can still get the sprockets through yamaha , Go to website MRCYCLES.COM

--
    cool, i thought i read on the yahoo group that the rear sprocket wasn't available anymore.

--
    great score for that. the 350's are non existent around here. when you do find them be prepared to dole out 25 hundy or so, I'd say you did excellent, hopefully he can find the missing parts.

--
    I have #2 "87 350 BW"s, one of which needs parts and I like to tinker and would be interested in a parts bike if you know or hear of one available. My immediate needs are original carb, rear swing frame and an air intake system. Also looking for an after market exhaust.

--
    any chance of having a seat for the big wheel 350?
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-shee View Post
    I bought two BW 350's for $ 100 both missing shock and the other motor was froze up . Great buy if you are wanting to fix one up .

dirtjunkie85 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    hmm looks like a tedious project. i would probably look for a whole new modern engine in the puppy. I like the idea of throwing the yz426 motor into it that was mentioned above. but i do believe you could get more than 200 out of it if you took the time to part it out.

--
    Ebay usually has a ton of parts for the BW350's. I have a BW80 and see parts for the 350 all the time.

--
    How is the bw 350 coming along ? Did you ever find the missing parts? I will start my bw 350 complete restoration one of these days . Later , Blair

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //