//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: '82-'83 Big Red Reverse Kit... Lookie what I found !! Big Pic's BEWARE DIAL- UPPER"S

--

'82-'83 Big Red Reverse Kit... Lookie what I found !! Big Pic's BEWARE DIAL- UPPER"S

Well I guess I can finally put this story to rest for not only myself but also for a bunch of other guy's that i've had this conversation with over the year's about there actually being a reverse kit that was put out back in the 80's for the chain driven Big Red's.Unlike the Lock Ness Monster and Sasquatch I'm happy to say that I can close the book on this conversation and I now have in my possession Proof,

I actually came across this complete kit a few week's ago and about pisse'd my pant's when I found it.The reverse kit was made by a company called Paltec which was located in Paltec Florida and the kit I got was totally complete.It actually came with the Direction's both of the gear's a drive chain and decal's for both the tank and a reverse decal that is to be placed on the sub trans.With mounting up the kit it is a fact that you will actually be sacraficing the High range from the machine,but that will give you all the gear's in reverse,which on a trike I don't think I'd wanna peg the throttle going 20 or 25 mph backward's in 3rd or 4th gear,IMO.I know over the year's there's been alot of conversation over this being real and by checking around I found that the actual price back in the day was $99.00 for the kit and it was listed in the old Dirt wheel's and 3 wheeling magazine's.

When I got the kit I pulled out one of my Big Red's outta storage and had it up in the air on the lift and was actually gonna start going at it removing the sub-tranny and installing the kit but after talking it over with Joedirt ,Ditchmud and ATC-Sam I decided that I'd probably be better off just to keep the kit in the OEM box rather than put it on the '83 Big Red.I'm sure it would be awesome to try it out but i've been looking for this kit since the late 80's and I figure that I ain't doing myself any favor's by installing the kit since I'm planning on selling the Big Red anyway's,now if I was too keep the machine I prolly would put it in but I think I'm just gonna put it on the shelf in my office for a rainy day or something.I talked it over with a couple people and I mite look into seeing if I could get something similar made up since I know how it work's now.So there you go guy's I think everybody will appreciate seeing it and now in your conversation's you can tell people that they actually do exist.Does anybody else have one of these kit's and or ever seen one before.I did a search on the forum's 17 page's worth actually and back to 2003 and see it mentioned a few time's but no evidence.ATC Tim and Curtis you guy's mentioned these kit's but you've never seen them before.

What would you do ,would you put the kit on ,knowing that I wanna sell the machine or put it on the shelf like I'm gonna do?Here's some pic's,I made them big so you's could read the direction's also,and did I mention that the '83 Big Red's for sale,LOL..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    www.muddogs.org - My New Website

MDR Racing

Trikefest '06 '07 '08 '09 Survivor !!!!
    LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

mike1979 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Um Yeah, just so ya know, I have an 82 atc200 that i never plan to get rid of... Ya know, just in case you wanna see if this thing REALLY works. (hint hint)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1979 View Post
    Um Yeah, just so ya know, I have an 82 atc200 that i never plan to get rid of... Ya know, just in case you wanna see if this thing REALLY works. (hint hint)

Yeah,I bet you'd like to see if it work's,LOL.. Is your 200 a regular 200 or a Big Red 200E,if it's the 200E Big Red slap up a pic of it,I think that the color scheme on that '82 is the nicest of all the Big Red's.I also like the 200 models .

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

--
    I say install it but thats just me

--
    I remember hearing of them, but never really gave them a second thought since I've just never been into the utility trikes. But this is the kind of things I dig, the odd and unusual. And I would rather much have a chain drive with reverse than a shaft drive trike. Now all you need is an aftermarket chain tensioner and you should be golden. I guess with the chain drive + reverse, you need to be extra cautious about the state of tension your chain is in and the condition of your sprockets. Super Cool find you have there. Sometimes I like the hunt better than I like the finished product. I think you could get those sprockets and stuff reproduced. I think you'll find though, 30 people that say they want them and then 2 or 3 that actually step up when they are done. Best of luck with whatever you would decide to do. I know who could reproduce those decals for you though, blue27.
    Nicholson 500x (Project)
    Nicholson 185s
    Nicholson 110 (That takes an atc70 tank)
    Ascott 500 head/350x (Project)
    Homebuilt Racer Chromoly Suspension 110 (Ragin Runt)
    PK Racing Suspension 70
    A+ Inc Suspension 70
    AWS Aluminum 90 frame
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame rd350
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame 90

--
    WOW, i have a 1982 200e Big Red and the one thing i dont like about it is no reverse. So you think its actually possible to mock (reproduce) the kit?? Btw thanks for sharing.
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Roger,
    I have an 83 BR if you want to see how it works!!
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

mike1979 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpuppi101 View Post
    Yeah,I bet you'd like to see if it work's,LOL.. Is your 200 a regular 200 or a Big Red 200E,if it's the 200E Big Red slap up a pic of it,I think that the color scheme on that '82 is the nicest of all the Big Red's.I also like the 200 models .
    Mine is the beautiful but plain jane 200. She's a bit camera shy as she is wearing a duct taped seat right now, but in otherwise beautiful condition. I have lots of hours into this one that sat for more than 13 yrs.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpuppi101 View Post
    What would you do ,would you put the kit on ,knowing that I wanna sell the machine or put it on the shelf like I'm gonna do?
    You've been looking for that kit for 20+ years. It would be foolish to put it into something you're going to sell. I say reproduce the kit, use that reproduction kit, and keep the original in the box.
    1973 Honda CB350
    1973 Honda ATC70
    1978 Honda ATC90 (FOR SALE!)
    1982 Honda ATC110 (FOR SALE!)
    1982 Honda ATC200
    1983 Honda ATC200E
    2002 Honda Recon

--
    Roger - that is super cool man. I have an advertisement for one of these in one of my old mags. I will copy it and send it to you.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    VERY cool roger! awesome find man!
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    I would say keep the kit. And keep the Big Red. With the kit on the Big Red it would be like it just stepped out of 1983. If I was looking for something that rare for that long I would want to try it. I would want to ride backwards, and show it off, going in reverse. It would really be a cool piece of history, it doesn't sound like anyone has even seen one before.

But if you have to sell the Big Red, I'd still probably install the kit just to try it out. You could always have gears reproduced even if those had a couple hours use on them.

--
    I think I remember seeing adds for that thing in a old 3Wheelin mag. Reason I remember is that I was going to look into getting one, but decided against it. Didn't want to give up the high range!
    My Trikes...

-1985 Big Red

-1986 250r

-1984 200x

-1980 110

-1980 ATC 185

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Roger - that is super cool man. I have an advertisement for one of these in one of my old mags. I will copy it and send it to you.
    LOL,I looked back in a search I did Tim and saw that you'd posted on this kit a few year's ago so I knew you'd appreciate it.That would be appreciated if you'd send me a copy of the orginal add,i'd really like too see it .

As far as putting the kit on the BR I'm just gonna put it on the shelf and look at it for awhile,like I said if I was gonna keep the '83 BR than I'd already have the kit in there but this is obviously something any of us don't find every day so on the shelf it goes.

MDR Racing

LONG LIVE SANCHEZ RACING

--

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //