//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Penetrating oil test

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries

Penetrating oil test

http://sterkel.org/papers/vintage/Te...ating_Oils.pdf

Really interesting results. Shows Kroil as being by far the best commercially, on the shelf available product. But also has a surprising result from a home-brew mix? Check it out. Watcha guys think?

--
    I've always had luck with PB blaster.....so, if these results are good, then a little PSF+Acetone will be what I try next time. Pretty large difference for sure.

The acetone is a fairly strong solvent so I can see how it would reduce the surface tension of the PSF and allow it to flow into small surface voids more easily.

Amazing how things make sense after you read about someone else doing it...

Thanks for the post on this Billy!
    -BFC
    '86 250R

--
    I have not read the link yet but from my experience Kroil is tops IMO.
    I have given a couple of cans to board members as gifts and both have said they have had amazing results with it.
    I am flushing out a frozen up bottom end tomorrow and will be using a 50/50 mix of acetone and tranny fluid to fill up the innards to let soak for a week or two.

I will let you all know the results

john

--
    +1 on that jes, I use that combo on a lot of stuff. Kroil is good for milling and drilling out stuff as well, I used to use it on stuff til I couldnt find it anymore. I use ENGAGE by Drummond American and Zep 45NC, they work great but are expensive. I use PB for stuck pistons and tapping.
    You will cry, you will scream if you've heard half the **** I've seen.
    Are you gonna get up and burn an X in your head?
    "Cut throught the bone and cut through the wire"
    Trikes:
    84&85 Tecates
    85 R
    85 X
    Support Scrapthraher Customs!!! Home of the Three Wheel Outlaws! PM me if you need a head rebuilt, valves cut, head milled or lapped!!!!!

--

--
    ill have to try that mix..
    1985 Quad Killer
    1985 Mini Raag

1985 Green Gobbin X2!!

1990 Kawasaki 300sx
    feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...light=code200k
    If you have done deals with me please leave me feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    No kidding, I think we need to bring trikes back just to weed out the retards.
    R.I.P

--
    i have used Kroil for many years and there is no comparison. makes PB blaster look bad. i know most people are sold on PB blaster but you need to try Kroil and see for yourself.

--
    I use kroil, found nothing better, PB Blaster on normal stuff but when it gets ugly I go to the can of Kroil

1985 Tiger 250LC
    1985 Tiger 200LC

1985 ATC 350X
    1985 ATC 200x
    1973 ATC 70 (resto project)
    ATC 70 Full A+ Suspension Mini Tiger
    and many more!!!
    1991 District-6 Open 4 Wheel 4-Stroke Expert Hare Scramble Champ

Blue Line Graphics
    Custom and Reproduction Decals
    http://www.bluelinedecals.com/

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I have used quite a few different penetrants over the years on some rusty ass, I mean bad rusty cars.

Of all I have used hands down there is only 2 that really work, but I have yet to try Kroil cuz I never had to once I found this stuff.

GM heat valve lubricant, also made by Dodge.
    http://www.merchant-automotive.com/h...lubricant.aspx

This stuff is awesome. Back in the day when Carbs were still on engines, this stuff was made for the heat diverter valves on the old exhaust systems that had linkage always rusting up.
    It is still used today for lubricating stuck EGR valve pintles.
    Back when I was pulling alot of transmissions, as soon as the car was on the rack, I soaked the rusty exhuast studs down for a few hours and 9-10 times they came loose with little effort after soaking. The more you let it soak, the better it works.
    It also works great for siezed caliper pins, rubber o-ring lubricants, and general lubricant on just about anything that requires cleaning rusty stuff.

PB Blaster, that stuff is only good for lubing door hinges and my ratchet heads.
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    While all of these commercially available products are good, did ya'll see how the home-brew atf-acetone mix did in comparison?

--
    Wow... Kinda blew me away... Gotta mix up some atf-acetone and go find me some rusty crap to take apart...
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Very interesting, but what is PSF? Power steering fluid?
    2006 LTR 450-Dasa, PC3, Fuel Intake, much more...

1991 Blaster-3 Mill Stroker, Flotek Ported, F7, Head Shaved, Flywheel lightened, VF3, 35mm PWK, much more...

1984 200X-Work in progress

1985 Tecate-also work in progress

--
    yeah. Ive used the ATF/ Acetone mix on a Honda XL cylinder that was rusted SHUT. It is running as of now and has great compression and power. Its pretty cheap too. Use +4 or Dex/Merc III, it works best.
    You will cry, you will scream if you've heard half the **** I've seen.
    Are you gonna get up and burn an X in your head?
    "Cut throught the bone and cut through the wire"
    Trikes:
    84&85 Tecates
    85 R
    85 X
    Support Scrapthraher Customs!!! Home of the Three Wheel Outlaws! PM me if you need a head rebuilt, valves cut, head milled or lapped!!!!!

--
    In the steel mills we use Kroil all the time, that stuff works great.
    I have a couple of Honda Trail 70's and one of the handle bar bolts was froze on. Sprayed some in the bar end and waited a couple of days and it came off like warm butter.
    I'll have to try the ATF/ACT mix.
    The Royal Purple Synthetic Lube spray works good too.http://www.royalpurple.com/protect-parts.html Beets
    80' Honda CR80R
    78' Honda XR75
    77' Honda CT-70
    74' Honda CT-70
    75' Yamaha GT80 Enduro
    76' Kawasaki KZ900
    73' Kawasaki H1-500
    76' Kawasaki H1-500
    They always run best before they blow!
    Manuals: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

--
    I use KROIL myself........

Was it this site or another that stated that brake fluid was a fantastic penetrating oil?? I know I read it somewhere in the last few months because I was surprised.......
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //