//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : 500x sand machine

--

Project : 500x sand machine

After seeing sandpuppies 600x and watching Jason's 450 from behind all the time, I came to the conclusion that I need more power! I came across a killer deal on a xr500. It came with the frame, swinger, mono shock, forks, airbox, carbs, plastics, triple tree, gas tank, seat and the motor. I want to try and incorparate as much as I can of the xr parts. I started off using the frame because of the oil reservoir and moved on to the rear swinger. The only parts that I had that might handle the horsepower was a '85 350x swinger and axle. I ended up extending it 3 inches and fabing up a mounting point for the rear mono. I wanted to use the xr500 rear suspension because of the heavier motor and heavier self ( no comments please, my wife cooks to good,) and also the fact that it has the famous honda pro link set up. When I was thinking about the rear frame, I wanted to give it some extra clearance because of the longer travel in the suspenion and the larger 450 muffler that I will be using. I welded the tubes on a bit of an angle to achieve this instead of running them straight like the 350x. I'm going to give the rear part of the frame a little more thought. I'll probably extend the rear plate a bit more and add mounting tabs for a grab bar.
    I had to extend the inner tube of the '86 350x triple tree to except the longer neck of the xr500 frame. I had to die grind out the bottom neck of the 500 and put in a 200x bearing race so I could use the 350x bottom race with the xr500 top bearing.
    I wasn't quiet sure what kind of foot pegs I was going to mount. I thought about using the 250sx pegs, but change my mind at the last minute and decided to go with the 350x. This way I could use the mounting points as a gusset as well. I thought the same thing with welding in a heavy gusset to hold the gas tank and rear fender. After I welded them solid I started to think about the air box and tubes. I wish I would have thought about them eariler because today I cut them out, I know now how I'm going to mount them. I'm going to go with a custom air box. I think I'm going to run an open top and buy a car filter to use as a lid. I'm not 100% sure yet, I have to go to a parts store to see what's the smallest filter I can get.
    I'm still a long way to be finished, but I'm in no hurry. I still have to find some parts for the xr. The motor threw a chain and damage the cases. I have replacement center cases, but I'm having problems finding the left case ( alternator case) If you have one or know of someone that wants to sell one, please let me know, thanks.
    I'll post progress reports as I go with the build. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    The pictures are just to give me an idea of what it will look like. I'm think I'm going to purchase a plastic gas tank and be done with the rust! I'll probably buy new plastic, but that's not for awhile
    Tapper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1283.jpg   100_1294.jpg   100_1291.jpg   100_1293.jpg   100_1290.jpg   100_1284.jpg  

100_1292.jpg  
    Last edited by tapper190; 06-06-2011 at 05:58 AM.
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    sounds like a cool project trike,the xr500 should fly
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--
    looks good should be fun when its done

dirtbiken is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    the xr in that bike will make it work real good. the 350xr
    If its to loud then your to old
    I will see you at the finish line

--
    Thanks for the comments, I know this conversion has been done before, but every conversion is always a little bit different .
    Tapper

--
    Looks Sweet Dave!!! Glad to see your building something. I had a feeling you would put your fab skills to work AWESOME.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    Thanks Jason, I can't wait to hit the dunes with you again. I don't think it will be as nibble as the 350, but we'll see.
    Tapper

--
    This build has taken a fair amount of time. I believe that I'm at the 3 attempt on the build, . I get it all tacked together then cut it apart because I'm not happy with it. I finally agreed with myself to weld it solid so I couldn't change my mind anymore, . I used the 350x footpegs along with the brake linkage. Almost all the parts will be from the 350x. The only things that won't will be the front portion of the frame and the engine. I boxed in the rear swinger for extra strength. I'm still not sure if the airbox will work as well as I thought it would in the beginning. Once you lower the seat down, room starts to get really limited. Right now I'm in the process of cleaning the frame up. I want to get it painted before the snow comes. Unfortinately I don't have any pictures right now. I will post some up when i figure out whats going on with the camera.
    Tapper

--
    Blog Entries
    I Like that!!!!!!!!!!!! cool build!

--
    That is going to be awesome!
    Trikes
    1981 ATC 250R
    1982 ATC 200E
    1983 ATC 200E
    1977 ATC 90
    KLT200A4A Duckster

Bike
    1996 CR 500
    1980 Z50R

Atv
    2003 Prairie 650 (camo)
    1998 Big Bear 350

Toys I built
    1986 Ford Ranger Prerunner
    Sand Rail

AJZ_200X is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    that tank looks familar - i was wondering when it was going to show up on some X - im glad it worked out for you. Your trike turned out great!! I still have some misc. bushings, bolts and other things if you need them.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZ_200X View Post
    that tank looks familar - i was wondering when it was going to show up on some X - im glad it worked out for you. Your trike turned out great!! I still have some misc. bushings, bolts and other things if you need them.
    Thanks, those pictures are just for the mock up. I ended up lower the seat another 2" to make it look more like the 350x. I going with a new plastic tank instead of the metal one. The back tank will either go on the '86 that I'm going to do or the '85, I'm not 100% sure yet.
    Tapper

--
    I managed to get a little work done to the machine this weekend. I finished up cleaning the frame down to bare metal and got a couple of coats of paint on it along with the swing arm and my custom built head pipe. I started to break down the motor today until I got called away from the garage. Hopefully I will have the cylinder to the machine shop this week for the new bore and piston.
    I manage to get some pictures, but they made the frame look a little strange
    Tapper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_100_1375.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	107833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_100_1374.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	107832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_1100_1371.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	107831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_100_1373.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	107830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_100_1372.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	107834

--
    I'm pretty sure I have the left side cover,and the complete cases in the barn,let me know if you still looking for one.

1986 ATC500X
    1985 ATC250SX
    1985 ATC200X
    1985 ATC250R
    1986 ATC250R
    1984 ATC250R
    1981 ATC70
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70
    Custom built ATC70 / 250R laydwon swap
    1986 ATC250SX FATCAT

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc500x View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have the left side cover,and the complete cases in the barn,let me know if you still looking for one.
    Thanks for the offer, but I found another killer deal on a complete bottom end with cases.
    Tapper

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //