//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to turn a ATC into an ATV in just a few easy steps....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200x Basket View Post
    lets hear about the early bronco.

i have a 75 with a fuel injected 351w out of a 94 lightning!!
    It's a '70, 351W, ZF 5 speed, D60 full width rear, D44 high pinion full width front, discs all the way around, custom dash with centered guage package, bunch more mods. I had a few articles in the first couple of issues of Bronco Driver magazine, kinda let the project stagnate for a while, but back to working on it.

--
    sounds nice!! I drive mine every day so i keep it simple. c4, 351w, efi, 33's, etc. are you on classic broncos? Bronco 69 here
    83 ATC70
    85 ATC70
    85 200x vintage racer
    86 500r
    Lots of parts

My 500R

--
    Literally almost looks production grade. TRX200M. Very cool.
    I would ride that at night, be all stealthy like.....a man can dream.
    You will cry, you will scream if you've heard half the **** I've seen.
    Are you gonna get up and burn an X in your head?
    "Cut throught the bone and cut through the wire"
    Trikes:
    84&85 Tecates
    85 R
    85 X
    Support Scrapthraher Customs!!! Home of the Three Wheel Outlaws! PM me if you need a head rebuilt, valves cut, head milled or lapped!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelmecca View Post
    Literally almost looks production grade. TRX200M. Very cool.
    I would ride that at night, be all stealthy like.....a man can dream.
    Thanks, that's pretty much the idea I had in mind while building it - reused as much hardware, brackets and parts as I could, the parts I fabricated (swing arm pivot brackets, battery box, muffler brackets, bodywork mounts, etc) I tried to make them look as close to factory as possible, and tried to choose the combination of parts and fit them to look as if they'd been designed to work together.

A lot of it I just got lucky with - the front of the 450r seat fits up real well to the back of the 200X gas tank, the chain sprocket on the 450R rear axle lined up perfectly with the sprocket on the 200m transmission once I had the swing arm in place, the rear master cylinder and resevior fit the new tubes I welded onto the rear of the chassis with hardly any fab work, the '04 450r front hyrdaulic brake lever perfectly matches the '84 mechanical rear cable brake lever - lots of stuff like that just flat worked, without me having to do much.

Wait'll you see my next project - a "trials" ATC. 125M frame/drivetrain (light, lots of ground clearance, dual-range trans), 200X front forks, 200X rear swing arm, lightweight aluminum wheels....target weight is around 200 lbs.

squirrel1182 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyBronocGuy View Post

Wait'll you see my next project - a "trials" ATC. 125M frame/drivetrain (light, lots of ground clearance, dual-range trans), 200X front forks, 200X rear swing arm, lightweight aluminum wheels....target weight is around 200 lbs.
    That will be sweet!
    1983 KLT 200 C
    1978? YZ 125
    1978 Panther 5000
    1939 Farmall A, 51st farmall A ever produced.
    1946 International A Industrial
    1973 Ford F100

--
    DUDE!! Looks like it came off of a factory floor!! Nice work!
    LED obsessed
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09

--
    very nice definitly worth the time and effort

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That looks great! Do you have any vids?

--
    i was kind of pissy at first before i read your whole post.wow you really do great work.that quad is very nice.everything really came together on that build.you are an A-1 builder
    1985 ATC 250R
    . Team Red Trike

--
    Looks cool...how many hours did you put into your project? (if I missed it in the post...sorry)

--
    did you gusset the frame at all? looks like it might have a few weak spots.
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate - kx cylinder, kx ignition, bassani headpipe, answer silencer, v-force reeds, 38mm airstyker carb, +2 franks swinger, raptor rear shock.

1996 YSF240 Blaster - maxxed out!!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY SH-T, what a ride!"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterroo View Post
    did you gusset the frame at all? looks like it might have a few weak spots.
    Could you elaborate?

I'm not a mechanical engineer, I didn't caculate shear points, polar moments of inertia, or material elasticty - I just fabricated to locate parts where they needed to be, with an eye towards triangulation and overbuilding in areas where I thought there would be a lot of stress (A-arm mounts, rear shock upper mount, etc).

It's been ridden hard quite a few times since I finished it, both by my son (185 lbs) and me (220 lbs), blasting down trails at top speed, up and down ledges and drop offs, and a few good jumps, with no problems so far other than a cracked muffler mount. I suppose the frame would bend if I snag a tree with a front wheel at 40 mph or so, but even a production quad would be trashed in that situation. Besides, if something happens, it's not like I destroyed a $4,000 quad - I'll just consider it a learning experience and rebuild it better.....stronger....faster.

--
    Great fab work but seeing a trike turned into a 4 wheeler makes me wanna barf.

--
    thats a nice looking quad!! very nice. im thinking of doing something like that with my tri moto 175. came up short on a jump and folded the forks right under her. LOL. i got an old timberwolf out back it uses struts in the front but that looks easier to fit to the trike fame. i know a company offered a rear suspension kit for the tri 175 but they are hard to find. maybe a blaster rear end?? hope to use 200x seat tank and rear fenders the DS 650 style wheel mounted front fenders. when i start this this winter ill post pics.
    Trikes arent dangerous. stupid people on trikes are dangerous!

--
    nice lil quad. any updates on the 125m Trials project?
    2-stroke lover

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //