//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 70- Pull Start

--

ATC 70- Pull Start

I couldn't find any info on pull start but my son's '85 does not recoil the whole way. I took it apart and lubricated it but only helped a little bit. I assume the spring is bad. Do they offer rebuild kits? What have others done to remedy this?

Thanks

--
    if it does not rewind all the way remove rope off recoil pulley and wind spring a few more turns and put rope back in

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    no don't do that!!!!!! you can add a couple of turns without taking it apart!!!!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by KASEY View Post
    no don't do that!!!!!! you can add a couple of turns without taking it apart!!!!!!!!
    so I need to take the rubber pull cord assembly off cord and then give it a few more turns?

--
    Ship it to me, I'll fix it!!!
    Runners:
    84 200s
    05 rancher
    12 rancher

--
    I would really like to know how to do that without taking it apart. That would save me tons of time on future reassembles!
    Keep on Triking!!!! "I am the NIGHT RIDER!!!"

RIP Ninja!

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-thestud25

Trike Fest 2011, 2012 Vet!
    Founding member of the Haspin 6ft Bats Club!!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    86 Kawasak KLT110. All documentation, bought from original owner.
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

--
    Quote Originally Posted by thestud25 View Post
    I would really like to know how to do that without taking it apart. That would save me tons of time on future reassembles!
    Cut the knot off inside the rubber "T" handle, hold onto the rope tight! Pull the rope into the inside, and slip it into the notch on the recoil, then crank it a few times, holding tight... then slip the rope back out the hole in the top of the starter, and re-attach handle.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc350xer View Post
    Cut the knot off inside the rubber "T" handle, hold onto the rope tight! Pull the rope into the inside, and slip it into the notch on the recoil, then crank it a few times, holding tight... then slip the rope back out the hole in the top of the starter, and re-attach handle.
    Oh, I knew that method. I thought you had a way without undoing the handle. But yes, that is a great way to do it with out pulling it apart.
    Keep on Triking!!!! "I am the NIGHT RIDER!!!"

RIP Ninja!

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-thestud25

Trike Fest 2011, 2012 Vet!
    Founding member of the Haspin 6ft Bats Club!!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    86 Kawasak KLT110. All documentation, bought from original owner.
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

Pafrig is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    yeah. you can do it without taking off the handle. just pull the rope out all the way, then without taking off the handle or letting the rope go back in, hold the drum/spinning thing/whatever so it cant turn. then pull all of your rope thats out of the starter back through, between the drum and the outside case, so theres a giant loop of rope basicly inside the starter. then just tuck it into that little notch and spin it around a few times. after youre done, pull all the loopy rope through the hole, then let the drum spin the handle back in.

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I AM MAKING A SHORT VIDEO.. you do not need to undo anything,,, brb!

--
    I AM MAKING A SHORT VIDEO.. you do not need to undo anything,,, brb!
    necro bump!

Did you make the video?

--
    Just remove the handle , pull the rope back to the pulley , place the rope in the pulley notch and tension it at least 3 turns , reinstall the handle .
    This will fix the problem as long as all the parts are functioning correctly .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    New springs are still available from Honda, if needed. I usually do the whole thing when it's apart. Clean everything, paint the housing, new rope, lube and check for any worn parts.

--
    Interesting old post bump. If there's a notch in the part the recoils the rope up, just pull the rope out, hold the "drum" from spinning, push the rope in or use a pick to pull it up and put it in the notch and twist it a time or two around and pull the rope tight. I've known this since I was a teen, figured it was common knowledge. The annoying thing is when the recoil doesn't have the notch and you're forced to take it apart to rework the wrap count.

For the video request, here's a random one I found on youtube, exactly the way I do it. Make sure to watch the ending too, it's a good tip about the spring being too tight. He didn't mention the spring could be weak from age/use and if you have to wind it too tight, replacing the spring is the only "correct" repair. It will work if you wind it too tight, but if you pull it all the way out you can break the spring and worst case part of the housing that holds the spring depending on the design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCHId_yCQTw

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //