//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: '85 SELVY 200R Build

--
    Looking awesome!

--

200cc Controversy Article

Thanks guys! Here's an articles for a good read. Sorry a little of the text is cut off and hope the pages are in correct order. Did this very quickly before running out the door to work. Enjoy!

Crap... just looked at this post, & well.... There's going to be a lot of squinting going on. Sorry for the small print/scan, off to UPS.

--
    Thanks for the scans Buster! Just a quick question. is your Westcoast a +4? How about the Cal-Fab? both builds are beautiful!

--
    Wow, I guess I never realized how much controversy had surrounded the 200 class. It surprises me that more trikes with 200 kits haven't popped up considering how popular that class was.
    ADMIRIN' BOOBS AND BLASTIN' NEWBS

--
    Awesome article. Explains alot. I had a conversation with Chris Cooper about this very subject. Long story short he gave up on the 200 2 stroke class and
    was qualifying for the 250 mains, on his 200, but never won because the pros like White and Hart would run just hard enough to qualify, then blow away the
    rest of the 200 guys and non-factory 250 racers in the main. Never knew about the CPSC's stance on the 200 class until now, but it does not surprise me... HH

--
    D-dub, I desided to make this an '85 build. The cylinder is an '85 cast and as it works out I have more '85 NOS parts left. Haven't found an '85 CALFAB yet, so the 2" over WC swinger will have to fit the bill for now. Thanks for the kind comments guys!

--

a little progress.....

Well... I've spent some time on this thing now that the dust has settled on the "crated" 250R ebay fiasco. I'm going to try to get he pipe on her tonight, and polish out another Selvy silencer. Here's some pics of the project. Thought a intake port shot might be interesting.

I've got a plethora of old school sponsor decals and rear #'s to apply to this 200R body. Also, still have a bit of rear suspension work to button up. Anyway back to the garage to dress up for Halloween. Anyone else going as Mike Coe! LOL!!!!!!

Last edited by Buster Brown; 03-27-2013 at 11:19 PM.

--
    Awesome info, Andy! I'm glad you're finally getting this one put together.
    ADMIRIN' BOOBS AND BLASTIN' NEWBS

--

TRICK or TREAT!

Got a trick or treat...

I'd take another Miller Lite!

--
    ^^Thats awesome Andy! 200R is looking sweet!!
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    I can tell you that Power Pro's built Klemm Research's pipes from 83-86.
    Here is an e-mail from Harry Klemm.
    "Doug,
    All the early "hand pounded cone" pipes were made by power Pros from 1983-1986. In 1987, the in-house pipe shop was put together, and the in-house pipes were all made from hydroformed body stampings. Both designs worked excellent, however the cost to build the hand pounded pipes was about double (the cone pipes sold for $350 in 1983). As time has played out, the early hand pounded pipes have become very valuable because of the workmanship and the light weight (they were 22 ga. steel instead of 20ga.)

Sadly I don't know of anyone with the parts from the old days .... but I have seen good condition hand-pounded cone pipes sell for $1000+ .... unbelievable to me. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the top end parts were sold off a race bike at the races .... it was our standard policy to do that at ATV races for anyone that wanted to buy the parts off one of our sponsored racers.

Respectfully, Harry Klemm Group K"

You always have the cleanest bikes, and your Halloween costume is definitely a winner.
    Rides:
    1986 ATC250R (sectional pipe and Klemm Research silencer)
    1986 ATC250R (Desert Bike, WAX-ON seat, Dual Cibie lights, Steering Stabilizer)
    1979 ATC110 (Bandito frame and forks, Turbo wheels, disc braked)
    1982 ATC70 (Lifan manual 125)
    1987 LT80 (piped, widened)

My feedback thread
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-dcreel

RIP Trace.. Godspeed.

--
    Here are some pics of a rare set of "Factory only" rear OHTSU's I got from a member here. I'll be putting them on my #1 250 racer as a more MX bike layout. I might put the grooved cut H-trak 903 flat tracker Oats on this 200R project, or maybe some smaller NOS 902s. Have to see, though, not sure yet ???
    Notice no dimples on these blanks, even on the edge nobbies. They never had dimples even when new. They look to have a layered type of manufacturing process and are a much lower profile even when they were fresh. Kinda weird. Anyone know anything else about these. I believe (if I remember correctly) an AMA protest was filed in regards to these as they were on factory only bikes. An Ohtsu prototype, planned for general production and release to the public. This never eventually happened and a protest was filed. I'll dig up an old article I saw the other day when reading and some old dirtwheels mags. The tire on the left in each picture is of the WORKS tire, sized up next to a OEM size Dunlop. These looked real bad @$$ on Marty Heart's factory ride!

--
    Awesome job again Andy!!!!! what rear fenders are they??? can you still buy them????i want them tires :-))))
    Need Honda ATC TRX NOS restoration parts??? or come check out our ATC brochure site
    www.offroadvintage.com

--
    Hey, Pete!
    The rear fenders were a total fluke. I got real lucky one day on ebay and scored them. They are like NOS, although the guy said they were used. Not a scratch! These are a later MAIER fender made in the shiny era. Got them for a song too. (enough bragging, he he). Almost positive this style fender is discontinued. Maybe a batch group buy would be a possibility??
    I
    should thank the cool member who sold me the rear Oats. His name is Rick, and he goes by "seadoo650". Hope he can chime in for his story of their origin. I remember Rick saying he was told they came from an old race bike and to take care of them, as they are real rare. I was so stoked to get them and he was so nice to deal with! Love the members here!
    Here's several scans I found interesting. The first two are in regards to the WORKS Othsu tires, and the lower ones are of a Japanese Factory guy working with a set of WORKS rear hubs. Funny... The lower Westcoast hubs were produced VERY similar in design. (LOL)

Last edited by Buster Brown; 11-16-2010 at 07:31 AM.

tundrawillie is offline Check my feedback before buying from me First time rider
    --
    I had forgotten about that style handlebar pad. Debruiser?

I found a pair of Westcoast hubs on a junker 250R via ebay. Very subtle pics in the auction, but I spotted them. Contacted the seller and got them for $25.00. I almost felt guilty...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //