//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MY BUILD - 450R swinger on a 350X and a 250R frontend too......IT RUNS!!!!

--
    Does anyone know if the cannondale Podium shocks were linkage less??

I can lower the top shock mount to get the desired ride height and rake.

Or continue with the linkage suspension.

If anyone has any input on the Cannondale FOX Podium, please let me know. They were all brand new maybe 6 years ago when Cannondale couldn't continue making quads due to the cost of R and D and such.... It doesn't seem to have compression or rebound settings, is it a floater??
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Got the spacer done today, it allows the swingarm to move side to side about .005 per side against the S.S. thrust washer when the bolt is tightened down.

I also made the 2 outer spacers for the bolt because it's to long. I left room to weld on 2 thick washers which I'll bore to 15MM's :

Linkage, chain alignment, 450R master set up and so much more to do............
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Once again DC nice job!! Like Aka_am, I too would like to see something like this for the 2nd gen 200x - if you find something that can be made to fit them let me know.

--
    Post a picture of the shock if you can DC i have a buddy that can tell me about FOX shocks.
    2- 85 Tri-Z's black and Yellow
    2- 85 250SX's
    1- 85 200X
    3-ATC 70's
    2- 85 tri-zinger's who needs some parts

--
    Mocked up a scrap motor today to check chain alignment:

It looks to be near spot on, I could have shaved 1MM more off of the left to get it perfect but the chain slider can't lose much more aluminum off of the pivot area.......

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-Z ripper View Post
    Post a picture of the shock if you can DC i have a buddy that can tell me about FOX shocks.

Fox shock - 13MM coils and about 15.5"s long on center.

450R shock - 11MM coils and 15.375, a hair shorter.

250R shock - 10MM coils and 16.312, the longest and smallest spring.

Because the Fox shock coils are so large, it must be a direct linkage shock but IDK if it's a floater..........

I have to put in the airbox and see what hits what. But I can make my own airbox from sheet metal and lower the upper mount; If need be.

The 450R rear mount is way to far away to be directly linked unless the shock were longer IMO.

Lots to learn......

--
    DC- Can you remove the lower eye on the podium shock It should thread on? If so you could make or Buy a 450r style clevis and use the 450r linkage You can put the upper shock mount where ever you want, so that Is a plus. How long Is the shock rod compared to the stock 450r? It looks like just the upper body Is longer. You have lots of room on the fox shock to run a dual rate spring setup. How tall Is the bump stop on the podium? You could possibly shorten It to gain some usable travel.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    I thought the Tri-Z's had a couple torrington bearings in the swingarm pivot end caps. I wonder if you could use something like that to allow it to move. One obvious problem would be the added width for the bearings, but they are pretty slim, I'm guessing about .060" for each one.

I have attempted to put the 400EX swingarm in a 350X when I was starting my 440X project, but got sidetracked with the Ban-Z rebuild. I planned to use the 400EX shock so I could make use of as many 400EX parts as possible for ease of replacement (and cheap also). I considered grafting on the rear of the 400EX frame due to the big difference in width of the arms and the fact that it would give me the stock shock attachement also.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jeddy View Post
    I thought the Tri-Z's had a couple torrington bearings in the swingarm pivot end caps. I wonder if you could use something like that to allow it to move. One obvious problem would be the added width for the bearings, but they are pretty slim, I'm guessing about .060" for each one.

I have attempted to put the 400EX swingarm in a 350X when I was starting my 440X project, but got sidetracked with the Ban-Z rebuild. I planned to use the 400EX shock so I could make use of as many 400EX parts as possible for ease of replacement (and cheap also). I considered grafting on the rear of the 400EX frame due to the big difference in width of the arms and the fact that it would give me the stock shock attachement also.
    I believe the 250R also has thrust bearings. I could have bought 20MM thrust bearings, 2 sides and a caged center bearing but I've fixed the thrust issue, I can't see it wearing very much especially after I add some grease fittings to it.......

JASON - Thanks for the ideas The FOX shock is beautiful but seems limited in travel with a tall bumpstop like you noticed. The 450R shock is a beauty but I couldn't pass up a take off shock for so cheap, however, lots of guys converting say they are way to stiff. The 250R shock had a rotted bumpstop so I'd rebuild that anyhow prior to use.....

It may take weeks of messing around but I just want some rear suspension I know will absorb some landings before I get to old to hit those jumps

--
    I know how stiff the 450r rear shock Is first hand, as I have swapped a few swingarm's That Is why I recommended a dual rate spring setup. With all the threads on the upper shock body, you could probably add a lighter spring on top with a crossover.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    Here Is a dual rate setup for sale pretty cheap. You could turn your own aluminum collar out on your lathe Real quick I'm sure. This set might not be the rate you would need, but I see them for sale all the time. You have Lots of common sense and knowledge with lots of thing's, so you would get this figured out real quick. I'm sure with some Investigating On Axis's website you could find out the Inner diameter of the spring's In this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-...#ht_868wt_1083

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    very cool thread thank you for the pictures
    'WHEN IN DOUBT.........GAS IT!'
    87 KXT250B2 Tecate
    86 ATC250ES BIG RED
    85 ATC350X
    85 ATC70
    'A FEW IN PARTS'

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I gotta get over there Steve. You've been really busy I see.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    ^ I'm trying John Ordered and brand new 450R caliper today...... I gotta scrap all these old parts!

I wonder what the Cannondale shock with the 250R spring would be like? It's got a huge shock shaft!!

Thanks Jason!!

--
    Hey dirtcrasher, the space for the 86 200x is 8 and 1/8th or so. I have to get my calipers to be exact but, this swap seems almost feasible now. I'll edit my post with the exacts soon.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //