//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MY BUILD - 450R swinger on a 350X and a 250R frontend too......IT RUNS!!!!

--
    ^ well, even if it fits, the shock has to be figured out/mounts built and it has to be a HUGE improvement. Otherwise I'll need an Elka or have to figure out something without chopping airboxes etc. It's different on every trike.......

Now my entire rear end is all take off 450R parts and I got everything including a new caliper for about 250$. You just can't beat 06 take off parts for that......

Still so much to buy and do, today I have to get the new 450R master cylinder mounted onto my lower gusset and now that my repair is out of the shop, I can mock up the machine.......
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    DC, Could this theoretically work out now as it is, with just a stock 450R shock? Of course you found all the parts way cheaper than I can now, but I will look around for some for my X. If I can get it rolling/riding, I don't mind stripping it down again for PC.

--
    ^ I can't answer that - yet..... I think the resevoir would have issues with the airbox and many say it's very stiff.

Anyhow, after 5 weeks with a 500lb quad, I had enough room to mock up the trike today:

The last shot is the new 450R master cylinder, just need a place to mount the resi. but the air-box and exhaust dictate that.

It's sitting a bit high, but it's missing 140lbs of parts. I'm gonna remove the motor and toss in a 100lb barbell to get a better idea of the suspension height.

Like Jason had said awhile back, the rear height determines the rake. So, I may be able to get it dead on with the right shock. Thats gonna have to be worked out.......

All the 450R parts will be brand new and the crate motor will last 25yrs. so I have no worries aside from the 60 some odd items I need to finish this. Just when you think you have everything, your missing TONS of small items. Enjoy, I hope my project motivates others

Next is the rear shock and linkage, THAT will be a bit of work to get the results I want............
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    250r front end it looks like? And not sure if you posted, I didn't see any numbers online either, do you know how much longer the 06 450R swinger is than the 350x one? I'd like at least another inch or two if I go with the heel guards.

Stock shock may work, remember I'm a heavy guy,

--
    Yep, 250R triples bored for the 350X stem; I already rebuilt a front caliper for it, gotta love those plastic pistons.......I've got a stainless steel rotor for it, a master cylinder from Jeff custom engraved and new OEM pads. You may have some of the small crap I need, it will all get PC'd anyhow..........

The 450R shock may suit you, but it may not fit. Thats next because I'm 210lbs myself.

--
    wow, I'm 140 pounds so I'm assuming I would totally need a re-valve if I attempted this..I need to gain some weight lol

Dirtcrasher, it's looking excellent though, keep taking tons of pics!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Steve, you never cease to amaze me.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    No pic today, just insight.

The 250R or other "linkage" type frames obviously differ from the 350X/200X no linkage frame.

It looks like my lower shock linkage mount has to be about 2.5"s away from the lower frame rail. And the only shock I can see working easiest is the 250R shock.

I called FOX and they have no idea what this shock is from, even with all the numbers on it; Or, they could care less.............. The bottom mount won't unthread, it's unthreading from bearing assembly within the body itself. I don't won't to get covered in oil and 180psi of nitrogen so I stopped messing with it.

What Billy said about extensive frame mods is dead on. That doesn't frighten me because I can end the mount at the lower engine mounts, that helps keep it strong; But, many gussets will be made.

1st up is to just make a simple lower mount and see how it sits and feels; If I like it, I'll make a massive mount but man is that 450R linkage far from the lower tube which isn't ideal. I wish I knew how far on center the hole for the lower linkage mount on a 250R to the edge of the lower frame tube. I'm thinking it's about an inch shorter..........

I guess the only thing that may have to be trial and error is the placement of the lower mount. It dictates what bottoms where and the overall ride height. I've gotta stuff an 80lb dumbell on the motor to help keep it closer to the actual weight. I'll make fast crappy mounts first but I won't be able to jump it
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 11-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.

--
    I know this sounds crazy, but I have measures up mountain bike eyelets that would work If drilled out. With a 600 pound spring rating. I wonder if a piggy back heavy weight Mtn bike shock would work. Sorry if it sounds too extreme but look into it.
    2- 85 Tri-Z's black and Yellow
    2- 85 250SX's
    1- 85 200X
    3-ATC 70's
    2- 85 tri-zinger's who needs some parts

--
    steve if you want the hookup on oem parts...hit me up. I don't forget favors bud.
    Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=78535

Patiently waiting..

--

Cool It was making me crazy...........

I just couldn't stand, WONDERING.............

I looked at the clock 8PM and figured I could whip up 2 mounts exactly as described above to quickly test the suspension. I have to add the weight (too much work to toss a crate motor in and out) and then build a solid mount.

I jumped on it when I was done and OMG, what a difference Apparently it IS POSSIBLE to improve on the 350X suspension without buying 800$ shocks. My only disappointment is having to use the 250R shock. [I] guess I'll just buy some rebuild kits, seal heads and shafts to ensure I can always have a 25 y.o. shock.

I just can't wait to do the motor mods, PC all the parts and get it running; Probably spring time but it gives me plenty of time to rebuild this shock (it's fine but has no bumpstop) and work out all the other details.

It should be one well suspended 350X

More pics:

I'm gonna check DEEPA's ride height tomorrow, (we're working on a small block Vette engine). Then I can pull that 2.5"s in if I have to to raise up the rear and I gotta get the weight on there.

For now, the suspension feels awesome and the steering rake is near the same as an OEM 350X.........

--
    I wonder if there is any handling difference with the trailing 250r axle as compared to the leading 350x front axle set up? Nice job with the build.
    Nicholson 500x (Project)
    Nicholson 185s
    Nicholson 110 (That takes an atc70 tank)
    Ascott 500 head/350x (Project)
    Homebuilt Racer Chromoly Suspension 110 (Ragin Runt)
    PK Racing Suspension 70
    A+ Inc Suspension 70
    AWS Aluminum 90 frame
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame rd350
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame 90

--
    Leading axles turn faster than trailing. But, if you play with the rear mount, bore the 350X triple for the 250R triple, your close to the stock measurement from the footpeg to the center of the axle. Jason along with Bill have said it will feel close to stock.

This way it seems to be off about 3/8ths" from the stock measurement.

HEY RIPPER!! Where is your bud that KNOWS FOX shocks?? :
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 12-27-2010 at 04:02 PM.

--
    Hey DC, Awesome job with the build!!! absolutely love the pics. I just got my first trike (200x) and ive been working on getting it up to date, but your Thread has really got me thinking about mods. I am looking forward to your end product.

85' 350x (newest addition)
    85' Tecate (Still dealing with electircal Issues!)
    85' Tri-Z (On the back burner)
    85' 200x (SOLD)

Leave me Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack+for+ama009

--
    I got some more stuff done but I still need a ton of tiny odds and ends, 1986.

If anyone has nice 1986 parts - wiring harness, CDI, voltage regulator, engine skidplate (either year), All the motor mounts and bolts (they will be blasted and PC'd so no big deal aside from the threads being good and thats about it until I get with a good connection for aftermarket dealer pricing. Then, I can continue........... I just can't do it paying retail.

Also waiting on the new auto-darkening welding helmet. They really improve your welds and I'm not happy with mine lately.

Here are some pics anyhow, and no, there is not one crack in that OEM fender

Yes the tire needs centering as it was on my SX but thats chicken compared to the rest of this.

I got some of the stuff I need but plenty more to go; I figure 6 months will do it.........

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //