//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: MY BUILD - 450R swinger on a 350X and a 250R frontend too......IT RUNS!!!!

--
    Nice fenders! Crappy foot pegs.

Looked into a 400ex CDI? Thread with info is here: http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30161

So does it look like I should go grab a pair of 250r shocks? Not sure what they're worth, but I'll keep an eye out. Same problem on my with a 450r reservoir and the airbox.

And if you move the mount up for a 250r shock, then the 450r swinger wouldn't effect it much, (meaning using the older 04/05 model.) The shock mount on those is further forward, and it's .75" shorter overall.

EDIT: Is it abnormally wide?

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Lookin good Steve.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I'VE GOT IT!!

I hope the rake works out well and it turns but I could blindfold you and put you on this 350X and a 250R and they would feel very much the same.

I played with the "new" linkage mount all day and finally got it where I think is perfect. The ears are opposite the lower engine mount so with some gusseting I have no fear of breakage.

It's very plush at the lightest preload, I've got a long way to crank it down if needed

Waiting for my progressive springs, I'll weld this all up and I can put it back together. The 450R master looks like it's meant to be there. Sometimes you think your inline and just a few more MM's makes it better. Amazing..............

I'll post some pics when it looks like a real trike; Many spacers to make and welding to do. This is no easy mod for a 350X but I'll let you know how it all works out
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Well, yesterday got me a bit more enthused, sometimes these projects are just so overwhelming they get done crappy or never completed. I won't build it if I can't build it right.....

So I tore it down again and started on the bushings for the upper and lower shock mounts. I have an awesome solution for the top! But the bottom I need to make some spacers/collars/reducers. You could do it with washers and a bunch of crap but I want this to be easy to assemble and appear as if it was meant to be there. The distance between the lower shock clevis was about 4MM's too large and the hole diameter was too large to use the 450R linkage. I fixed both with some lathe work.

You can't drill out bushings that ride on spacers, they are hard as rocks and precision ground so this was the only way.

Anyhow, here are some pics for today, took about 3 hours to design, make and install these............

Finished collars, reducers/spacers.

Drawed it in with a bolt, finish reamed with a 10mm reamer.

Finished:

There are so many little things that have to be attended to. A few more things then I'll tear it down, finish weld it and get ready for the crate motor install........
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    You could do it with washers and a bunch of crap but I want this to be easy to assemble and appear as if it was meant to be there.
    DC, I like the way you think. All of the work so far looks top notch!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Vealmonkey View Post
    If I haven't asked this before, how much longer is the 450r swingarm over a 350x?
    I never checked until yesterday, the 06 swinger and up is about 2"s longer than stock The 05 and earlier is about 3/4" shorter (than 06 and up) but the link mount to swinger pivot is off allot; I believe it's quite a bit shorter, I'd have to check......

--
    A nice clean solution for the lower shock mount. Little details like this is what makes all the difference in the world between a nice build and a sweet build. Of course it helps to be a machinist and have acces to the right equipment. I think the little extra length in the swinger will be a nice addition also.
    Nicholson 500x (Project)
    Nicholson 185s
    Nicholson 110 (That takes an atc70 tank)
    Ascott 500 head/350x (Project)
    Homebuilt Racer Chromoly Suspension 110 (Ragin Runt)
    PK Racing Suspension 70
    A+ Inc Suspension 70
    AWS Aluminum 90 frame
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame rd350
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame 90

--
    ^^^Thanks guys! The upper shock mount on a 250R shock accepted a 450R needle bearing and 2 dual lipped seals and sleeve, perfect ID and OD and much smoother action

It's in the freezer now

--
    Well, I may get some crap here but I'll share it anyhow.

The 350X stem is about .030 larger than the 250R stem. The only way this works is by using that 350X stem in a 250R triple.

I've always been told to bore the triple, but anyone who machines knows how much work it is to indicate it in and set up a boring head.

SO... I took a mere .008 thousands roughly (wall thickness) and the same for the lower clip in my lathe. Saved me tons of work and the stem diameter isn't even 1mm smaller. I have no fear of breakage and the mill setup time will not be missed!

I installed the Progressive springs today and added fork oil, I'm very happy with the results. This suspension puts the 350X to shame...........

How do you beat progressive springs, 4mm larger forks and 2"s of additional travel?? Sitting about 26"s to the last grab bar bolt center.

All I need is a few odd things that I'll PC in the spring but I'll ride it this winter. If the crate motor slips the clutch, I'll get new fibers

--
    Wow steve awesome work... I've got to get over there soon!!!
    My rides, 1985 ATC 350X, With legit Lamborghini Countach paint,2003 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider,customised the way I like it! 1997 GMC Sierra is gone, primary mode of transportation, 2008 Toyota Yaris!

Check out my build thread of my 350X
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?95389-Tank-s-1985-350X-build-is-FINALLY-all-done!-)
    Screw giving away the Harley, It's payed for!!

--
    ^ Hope to see you too, I need some Shoe Goo!!

Anyhow, just got an IMS oversized tank shipped for 175. They are a bit wider and may help with the turning clearance.

Next few weeks this should all come together.

Merry Xmas guys, esp. to Roy!

--
    This is such a cool build! Great work man! Do you plan on making and selling any of the spacers and such for the install? I am happy with my front end, I have 83 250r insides on my forks along with inner tubes and progressive springs. The rear suspension would be much better with this setup though
    83 250r

--
    DC, I was just looking over your thread again for the hundredth time, and I notice you are using the 250 triples now. Originally you were going to bore out the 350x triples for the 250r forks, why the change? Doesn't this change your steering geometry? I'm confused since you originally posted on using the 350x triples. Also, what's the difference in the 85 and 86 250r triples? I hate to bug you since you hate to type. LOL I should call and bend your ear. But this keeps nagging at me since your original posting earlier. I've been reading through this many times and I'm really digging this whole thread. Forgive my questions.
    Nicholson 500x (Project)
    Nicholson 185s
    Nicholson 110 (That takes an atc70 tank)
    Ascott 500 head/350x (Project)
    Homebuilt Racer Chromoly Suspension 110 (Ragin Runt)
    PK Racing Suspension 70
    A+ Inc Suspension 70
    AWS Aluminum 90 frame
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame rd350
    Hi Performance ATC Suspension frame 90

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    You should see it in person Veal. The pictures don't do it any justice.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Vealmonkey View Post
    DC, I was just looking over your thread again for the hundredth time, and I notice you are using the 250 triples now. Originally you were going to bore out the 350x triples for the 250r forks, why the change? Doesn't this change your steering geometry? I'm confused since you originally posted on using the 350x triples. Also, what's the difference in the 85 and 86 250r triples? I hate to bug you since you hate to type. LOL I should call and bend your ear. But this keeps nagging at me since your original posting earlier. I've been reading through this many times and I'm really digging this whole thread. Forgive my questions.

Originally I bored the 250R triple to accept the stem from the 350X, then run trailing axle. The 350X stem is about .015 larger than the bore on the 250R triple so I just turned it down on the lathe. I can't be convinced that .015 (fifteen thousandths) is any weaker.

Still running 250R triples either way, just pressing the stem in one of 2 ways.

Think the lower shock linkage is strong enough?

Thank god I got my new welding helmet yesterday, The lens was so dark on this one that I couldn't see and my usual welds suffered.........
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 12-27-2010 at 04:05 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //