//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ATC 250R - Wider Footpegs

skidoo99 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    hmm maybe i could buy a cardboard template from you and make a set here myself. wouldnt mind doing the work just not interested in figuring it out haha.

--
    I have a bunch of these made now!!! Thanks again Red Rider!!
    1985 250r-LED Performance 4mm Stroker motor
    1978 ATC70 w/ Piranha 140cc
    1972 - K1 - CT70 w/lifan 125cc
    2017 YZ 250x- Braap

Youtube channel = http://www.youtube.com/user/ter5678/videos

--
    When I first made these wider aluminum footpegs, they were designed to be centered (as shown in the first pic) around the OEM footpegs, with 11/16" more footpeg surface area in front of & behind the OEM footpegs. After the initial installation, the shift lever needed to be raised up a bit to accommodate the 11/16" further forward leading edge of the L footpeg, and wearing motocross boots seems to have exacerbated the problem, which has lead to many missed shifts. To remedy the issue, I ditched the 1/2" spacers in front of the OEM pegs, and bolted the aluminum footpeg directly to the leading edge of the OEM footpeg, then added 1" spacers behind the OEM footpegs. This allowed me to lower the shift lever back to it's normal spot, and cured my shift miscues. Unfortunately, it also messed with the aesthetic beauty of my original design. So being the perfectionist that I am, I decided to redo these, and added them to my "to do list". Well, 8 years later, I decided to finally tackle these, using my new found router milling techniques.

I started with a wood template, which I thought would be strong enough, but soon found that it had a bit of give, or flex to it, which was leading to slightly errant cuts with the router. As a result, the first aluminum piece cut out, had to be fine tuned, and is now the template for the remaining pieces. It took a while to get the rhythmic footpeg serration pattern figured out, and cut into another template, but I'm pretty happy with the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Footpegs Installed.JPG   Foot1.jpg   Foot2.jpg   Foot3.jpg  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 06-22-2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Clarification for the masses
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    At this point, it's safe to say that you've mastered the router

Nice extensions

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Here's the final product before bending them into shape. I chamfered most of the edges to remove the sharp corners, and for aerodynamics as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foot5.jpg  

--
    Those came out great! Nice work. You should make up a few sets and put them in the 3ww store.

--
    I got them all bent into shape and installed. I think I will call this project done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foot6.jpg   Foot7.jpg  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 06-25-2019 at 11:46 PM.

--
    Nice work

That blows away my muffler spacer

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Nice work
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    That blows away my muffler spacer
    Nonsense, you need to silence yourself! That what some exhaustive work you did on those, and it shows. You should see my muffler spacers. I used a 5/8" hole-saw to drill through some 1/2" aluminum plate, then smoothed out the resulting plug. The funny thing is, I was trying to think of something I could make, with the leftover scraps from my footpeg project, and thought about re-designing the hangers for my silencer. Then about an hour later, I saw your post about yours.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I got them all bent into shape and installed. I think I will call this project done.
    Look great! Thanks for the inspiration.

--
    you do know that 85 and 86 peg plate and pegs DONT interchange. You can put a 85 pegs on the 86 peg plate, but you can't put a 86 peg on a 85 peg plate. The 85 peg plate is narrower. You can put 86 trx pegs on a 86 atc250r and I may be wrong.....but 88/89 pegs on a 86 atc250r peg plate too. I found this out the hard and expensive way.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by deathman53 View Post
    you do know that 85 and 86 peg plate and pegs DONT interchange.
    I did not know that, but I wasn't swapping pegs around.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //