11. You may not vote on this poll
  • ok?

11 100.00%
  • bad?

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Aluminum 450R

--
    I would like to have the axle leading like Jason's. I think it looks much better also. I'll wait till the triples are done and figure out my front axle from there using that 350x front hub. I did get a couple more small things completed today. I press fit two bushings into the frame for the swing arm bolt to slide through without any slop. I made them out of stainless. They are a rather small item to make but need to be very accurate in size to press into the frame. I also cut down the swing arm bearing sleeves that ride on the needle bearings. This had to be done due to the swing arm being narrowed up to fit into the CRF frame. This project is getting to be very addicting. I'm constantly wanting to get the next step completed. Next I will be making the spacers for the TRX suspension linkage and rethreading the TRX swingarm bolt since it had to be cut shorter. The CRF frame linkage mount is far wider than the TRX linkage. I'll be making bushings to take up the excess space so I can mount the TRX linkage up and bolt it to the frame. I'll need to be thinking about purchasing the rear end parts soon such as the bearing carrier, axle, brake hub/axle nut, and wheel hubs. I plan to mount up the rear end with tires along with the front axle and tire then determine how long to make my bottom rear shock mount. I'm attaching a couple pictures of today's progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valley 450R-6.jpeg   Valley 450R-7.jpeg  

--
    IMO, you might want to think about a washer, or 1 piece bushing/washer to keep the hardened collar In the swingarm from rubbing Into the frame (side load).

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    I'm wondering what would be the best choice here for a washer. Should I use steel, aluminum, or maybe bearing bronze? I'll have to check into this.

--
    I made one piece stainless bushing's / washer's for mine, and they are holding up fine.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    I'll be pressing the stainless bushings back out of this frame and make stainless bushings with heads/washer all in one piece like Jason recommends for the hardened washer in the swing arm to rub against. This will set me back on moving forward. I'll have to mill more off each side of the swing arm causing me to have to circle mill the thrust washer counter bores again. I wont make the heads of the bushings too thick but just enough to serve the purpose. I do not want to machine too much more off the width of the swing arm. I think the swing arm is at about the perfect width. So I will take as little as possible off it. I almost thought about milling about an equal amount off each side of the frame to compensate for the washers. Although I believe it would be best to leave the frame be. I'll post more updates later this week.

--
    Well today I did in fact mill the frame rather than mess with the swing arm anymore. I liked the width of the swing arm where it was currently milled too. So I went ahead and milled off some stock on both sides of the frame where the swing arm pivots. This turned out very well. I can now mount up the rear end with the new stainless bushings/washers pressed into the frame. I was also able to mount up my linkage spacers for the rear shock today also. I'll post some pics soon of the advancements. I've been gathering the rear axle parts off Ebay this week. The next major step for me to accomplish is the triple trees. I'm hoping to get these machined soon now that the swing arm is complete.

--
    IDK what your counter bore is for?? I know I read your reasoning, I just forget....

I milled the helll off my 06 swinger and I'm just using an inner seal to keep crap out of there. The stainless thrust washers are about 1/32nd or 1/16th thick, I forget......

Make your pics bigger will ya!

EDIT - OK, I just read your reasoning. Unless the chain alignment is an issue, the thrust washer is the buffer between the aluminum and the frame. My thrust washers mount next to the material I milled off, and are supported by the inner bearing sleeve but there is nothing wrong with the way your doing it. The thrust washers will have a smaller OD the way your doing it.........
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 11-14-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    My thrust washers are untouched. They are the same O.D. as they come new. I just circle milled in counter bores to the same size as the heads of the thrust washers so they would sit almost flush with the swing arm width. This way I did not have to purchase a second set of inner seals. So now the thrust washers will rub on the stainless bushing/washers that are now pressed into the frame. Like Jason stated earlier in this post, I did not want my hardened thrust washers rubbing against the aluminum frame causing the aluminum to wear away after time. I made the bushings/washer head .062" thick. Since going this route and wanting to keep my existing swing arm thickness (which was milled to the dimension as if the bushing/washers were not in the frame) so I milled slightly over the thickness of the bushing/washer off the pivot area of the frame. I'll attach a few pictures of the recent progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valley 450R-8.jpeg   Valley 450R-9.jpeg   Valley 450R-10.jpeg  

--
    ^ hear what your saying.......

But, won't they still be rubbing against the aluminum swingarm??

I guess were in the same boat and I doubt there will be any issue but it's good that you understand the concept.

You mentioned "I don't want to take anymore off of the swinger" which may mean for you, the chain lines up well at this point, for me, on a 350X frame, I had to mill off nearly 4mm or so from each side and the thrust washers give about .005 clearance on each side; Which is easily changed with my center spacer.

Just so you know, McMaster/Carr sells a thrust washer/flat needle bearing/thrust washer pack and I think it was only .060 or .080 thick. If someone were to use that, there would be NO aluminum rubbing anywhere. Just check it out and see what you think. Each build teaches us all more.........
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    The counter bores I made in the swing arm for each side allow the heads of the thrust washers to stick out .010". So the aluminum swing arm will not be rubbing on the stainless washers. The stainless bushing/washers will be rubbing on the thrust washers not the swing arm.

--
    ^ Just check out those thrust washers/bearing like I mentioned; I almost went that route.........

I can't post a link, Mcmaster only brings you to the page, not the specific item when copying links.

--
    DC, The stock Inner washer (the one that presses Into the swinger and rub's against the outer dust cup Is sticking out about .010) That thruss washer will rub directly on the washer he pressed Into the swing arm pivot bolt hole.

83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer

--
    I made some more progress today on my triple trees. It was a rainy second day of deer season here in PA. So I figured why not head to the garage and work on the 450R build where it was dry! The triples are almost complete. I added the tapered holes for the handlebar clamps like on the stock CRF clamps for the rubber anti-vibe bushings. I still need to cut the clamping slots, drill and tap the clamp holes, drill and tap the fender mounts, and also radius the top clamp to make the edges not as sharp. Once these small steps are complete later this week, I can then mount up the front end to start figuring out my front axle design. I will be using an 86 350X front hub. I have also obtained almost all of my TRX450R rear axle parts. I'll be using a new twin row bearing carrier, extended +2 Team axle, and Lonestar anti-fade lock nut. I still need to purchase a rear brake rotor and caliper bracket bushing for my swing arm. Here are a few pictures of my triple clamps. I'd like to hear some feedback. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valley 450R-13.JPG   Valley 450R-11.JPG   Valley 450R-12.JPG   Valley 450R-14.JPG  

85 ATC 70
    84 ATC 200X
    86 ATC 250R
    85 Tri-Z
    86 Tecate 3
    86 350X
    05 Aluminum 450R Trike (Upcoming)

--
    I installed the front forks and triples yesterday. Here are some pictures to show the progress. I'll be working on the front axle next. Once the front axle is on, I'll install the rear-end and move on to the rear shock mount set-up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valley 450R-15.JPG   Valley 450R-16.JPG   Valley 450R-17.JPG  

85 ATC 70
    84 ATC 200X
    86 ATC 250R
    85 Tri-Z
    86 Tecate 3
    86 350X
    05 Aluminum 450R Trike (Upcoming)

--
    man......looking good! You got some mad skills in the machine shop bro......
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //