• ok?

11 100.00%
  • bad?

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Aluminum 450R

--

Another Aluminum 450R

I thought I'd share my aluminum 450r build with everyone. I just started today modifying a TRX450R swing arm to fit into my 05 CRF450 frame. I milled the swing arm down on both sides evenly to fit into the frame and also circle milled counter bores into the ends of the swing arm so the thrust washers would seat almost flush with the sides of the swing arm. With doing this I decided not to use the same seals for the opposite ends of the swing arm on the ends where the thrust washers press in. I also have my triple clamp blocks squared up and ready for machining. I'm hoping to have these done this week so I can start on the front hub and rotor assembly then move onto the rear shock mount. I'll be utilizing the CRF450 rear shock for this build also. My one issue I have so far is deciding on a motor. I'd like to use a CRF450X motor so this trike will have electric start. We will see if I can find a decent deal on one. Also does anyone know if an 03 or 04 CRF450r engine will fit properly in an 05 frame?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valley 450R-1.jpeg   Valley 450R-4.jpeg   Valley 450R-2.jpeg   Valley 450R-3.jpeg   Valley 450R-5.jpeg  

--
    Have you built one before? Lookin good!

--
    Looks like you have a solid start to an exciting project. I know from seeing quite a few of these hybrid builds in person, there is nothing easy about them. There's so much to consider when setting up the chassis not only for the correct look and cosmetic flow, but one that will also handle well. I wish you the best of luck, and hope it all works out great! Please keep us updated on progress. Cause everyone has their own idea on what works best, or learned form past builds, trial/error, etc.

--
    I love these builds, but has anyone done one with a atc250r motor? or cr500 motor? and price wise you can get these motor's cheaper.

scottp597 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Damm electric start would rule! 450x +1

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    This looks like it'll be a great project! Keeping my eye on it for sure.

--
    Looking good so far! The 03-04 crf engine will fit the 05 frame. I can also tell you that the crf450X engine will fit the 05 crf450R frame also. I have the X engine In a 05 R frame right now. The 450x will be my future ride, as soon as I get a couple other project's done I will get rolling on It.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

audioworks04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I would go with the X motor. It has electric start and the gear box is way better suited for use in a three wheeler. The X motor is tuned down some, but it will still have plenty of power im sure, most of this is in the head, so if you wanted to could always get port work or switch to an R head. Good luck on the build. Keep us updated.

2005 CRF450R Alum Frame build done, switching to inverts.
    86 trx250r fmf fatty fmf q k&n v force reeds gold valve rear shock with eibach spring.
    86 atc250r stock sand only
    88 NX250 mint rainy day
    85 kawi js550 stand up basicly stock
    87 kawi js550 scary fast for a stand up

--
    Thanks for the motor information! I'm hoping with the dirt bike season coming to an end I can find a decent deal on the "X" power plant. Jason's posts have helped out a lot with my decision on making one. I priced the TPC build and that was a little more than I wanted to spend. Plus I feel the aluminum frame will be a cheaper and more interesting build. The project would be difficult to do without the help of Ebay of course! Any advice on the front axle and disk set-up? I'm planning on using one of my extra 350X hubs and have the CRF front forks waiting to be put into the triples when completed. I'd like to see a snap shot of the front axle from another build.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

audioworks04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If you get ahold of bill at tpc they will sell you just their front fork set up. Includes triples, billet hub and axle spacers. Uses crf forks and brake hardware. Its not cheap, but it is pretty and very very stout. Other options would be to talk to jason some more and sweet talk him into making you a set of triples to use the ktm 85 forks or possible have him set it up to use the crf forks. Then you just need and axle and spacers.

2005 CRF450R Alum Frame build done, switching to inverts.
    86 trx250r fmf fatty fmf q k&n v force reeds gold valve rear shock with eibach spring.
    86 atc250r stock sand only
    88 NX250 mint rainy day
    85 kawi js550 stand up basicly stock
    87 kawi js550 scary fast for a stand up

--
    I actually already have my 3D models of the triple trees drawn up and plan to machine them out this week. The one picture shows the 6061 aluminum square blocks that I'll be using. They will be almost identical to the stock CRF triples and look very similar. I even have a pocket milled into them to except the small Honda decal that is set into the middle of the top clamp. I already have the CRF 450 frorks as well. So once the forks and triples are installed I can look into the front axle but was just hoping to cheat a little and get some pointers from the experts! haha

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 87ATCFREAK View Post
    I actually already have my 3D models of the triple trees drawn up and plan to machine them out this week. The one picture shows the 6061 aluminum square blocks that I'll be using. They will be almost identical to the stock CRF triples and look very similar. I even have a pocket milled into them to except the small Honda decal that is set into the middle of the top clamp. I already have the CRF 450 frorks as well. So once the forks and triples are installed I can look into the front axle but was just hoping to cheat a little and get some pointers from the experts! haha
    Sounds as if we have ourselves another very intelligent trike builder/machinist?? I will keep an eye on this build, sounds awesome!!
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    Great build so far! Jason has a wealth of knowledge on any build! By the sounds of things, you have already figured out a lot of your build. I to would go with the electric start.
    Tapper
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Jason, was this the year CRF frame that had the low amount of rake to it that was OK or is he going to need to figure a few degrees negative into the triples to make it sit right? I'm gonna learn a little bit about these fang dangled alooooooominiuuuuum frames

--
    The 05 frame has less rake than the 02-04. The only reason I changed the steering head angle on mine was because I didn't want to redo my entire rear top shock mount. If you pay attention to the front end when building the rear end you will be fine with either frame. I learned the hard way with mine, you don't want a trailing axle with 0 rake In the triple's!!! Full length forks Is the only way I would build the aluminum frame, as the KTM 85 forks are to short!

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //