//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 250sx Oil Filter Question

Silverado is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

250sx Oil Filter Question

I have foolishly been changing oil and not changing the oil filter every time so I want to start doing so.

What size oil filter should I be using ? Is it something I can get at the local wal-mart or atv shop (perhaps a Honda powerhouse).I checked my manual it didn't tell me what size I need to buy

Secondly I live in Canada so it is cold. I would like change the oil filter soon. What proper steps should I take for changing the oil filter in the cold of winter ? Run the machine for a few min first ?

lastly, I just put new oil in the machine before I filled her up and put in stabil for the winter. Do I have to drain the oil to do an oil filter change ?

Thanks Guys !
    1985 250sx (Lemon)
    1985 250sx (Ruby)
    1985 250sx (Garnet)
    1985 200m (Hunter)

Big Mike is offline Part time collector of phallic shaped objects. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    You can get them at Bikebandit or your local Honda motorcycle dealer, not sure about Honda Powerhouse.

You will lose a little bit of oil when you pull the cover off so you may need to add some more oil after you do the filter. If you do it cold you are likely to lose less oil than if you run the machine first. I would change the filter and then run the machine to get oil circulated up there and to make sure you still have enough oil in the machine.

Here is the Bikebandit part number and price:

ELEMENT, OIL FILTER ,A 2A 581090 (214811-001) 0-99 $6.50

And Service Honda Part number and price:

ELEMENT, OIL FILTER 15410-KF0-315 (replaces 15410-KF0-305) 001 $4.62
    Currently Own:
    1985 ATC 250sx
    1986 ATC 350x
    1986 Polaris Scrambler 250R/ES (P3)

Projects/Parts machines:
    1980 ATC 185S

My Feedback Thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/124667-Feedback-for-Big-Mike?highlight=Feedback+for+Big+Mike

--
    I heard those filters fit tons of different applications so they should be at any bike / small engine shop.

K and N is a KN112
    and highflow is called HF112

There is a big 'o' ring and a small one and they usually stick to the cover, so don't lose them.

Also remember the way it came apart....cover...filter...spring or whatever order.. I forget but it would be virtually INSTANT engine head meltdown.

I usually tip the trike up so it doesn't leak too much at all when pulling the cover.

A little oil on the o rings and it should go back together and not leak.
    I had one that had never been changed and there was residual factory sealant around the cover, kinda like a super thin bit of shellac so you may get away with a TINY bit of sealant but the 'o' rings should do it.

If you're worried about oil pressure, pull the plug or plug wire so it spins up without firing and then your pressure should be up with a primed filter galley.

Silverado is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    So you say KN112, I called one of the small engine shops in the area and they were giving me something with a 113 ending...what does this number mean ?

The Honda shop in my area is closed today...jerks. I have head that an incorrect installation will fry your bike I am going to take the utmost care to see how it all went in so I can put the new one back in correctly. i think I have some oil sitting around from a change awhile back, I will just put some dabs of that from my finger onto the O-rings
    1985 250sx (Lemon)
    1985 250sx (Ruby)
    1985 250sx (Garnet)
    1985 200m (Hunter)

--
    KN113 is the K&N part number. It sounds like the shop has the correct one. http://www.knfilters.com/search/appl...px?Prod=KN-113

If you get the oem filter from the dealer it says on it which side faces out so you don't mess it up

Rob

--
    WHOA! so maybe the k&N 112 number I have is wrong?

It came from a honda shop. Yikes!! I have at least 3 machines running with the 112 in there.

Yeah, some filters say 'this side out' and some do not.
    One side of the filter is just metal and the other side has a square cut rubber ring glued to it.

^%$%#@# now I gotta double check that 112#

Thanks

OK

The KN 113 is listed for the honda 250es and sx...same engine
    the KN112 is also listed for both 250es and sx but has an outside diameter of 50mm and the 113 has an outside diameter of 52mm.

Why do they do this to us?

Just to see if we're paying attention?
    Last edited by tri again; 01-04-2011 at 12:37 PM.

--
    Not sure but that is weird. Only 2mm difference. I bet you can't tell them apart looking at them

Rob

--
    I am no machinist but 2mm can make a huge difference...in some cases. From listening to drjoe171 I think the 2mm in this case ruins nothing ^_^
    1985 250sx (Lemon)
    1985 250sx (Ruby)
    1985 250sx (Garnet)
    1985 200m (Hunter)

--
    Fram, enco - there are tons of them out there. I've got them at AutoZone or other Auto parts stores............They seem fine.

However, you cannot go wrong with OEM and the 2 orings from Service Honda. There minimum shipping is 9.99$ but think about gas and time; No one does...... I place an order and it takes 1 week to be at my door. No fear of cheaper filters etc.........

2MM or .080 can mean the difference between oil bypassing or oil going where it's suppose to..............
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    If you cross reference the number to a WIX filter you can get them at almost any auto parts store and usually the WIX filters have came with O-rings.

--
    fyi you will want to have someone help you balance the machine on 2 wheels when you put the filter in, it will make life a lot easier. if the machine is sitting flat gravity will try to spit everything out as you're trying to put the cover on otherwise. i run a fram in mine, from fleet-farm. don't know the part # offhand.

--
    I guess it's good to shake things up but all 3 of my local shops carry the 112 K&N for the 250es and sx. and they list both 112 &113 for the 250

112 is, Say 2mm smaller OD than the 113 but if you think of the old canister type filters, the outside can diameter that the filter element fits into can't really matter.

It's the id and critical pressure that runs into and thru the filter and continues happily pressurized on it way to irreplaceable engine parts,
    at least that's what I'm hoping.
    Then again, that kinda of extra clearance in the wrong place, like rod to crank journal, or cam, could be a disaster.

If K&N lists both the 112 and 113 for the 250, you think it would be ok.

Man, ignorance is so much more blissful, but thanks for the heads up.*

--
    I found some K&N 113 Filters for $6.00 a piece at the local bike shop ! Looks like I am stocking up after work.
    1985 250sx (Lemon)
    1985 250sx (Ruby)
    1985 250sx (Garnet)
    1985 200m (Hunter)

--
    I'd be curious to see how much mud and sand is in the lemon. Hopefully there is none.
    Tapper
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    I did the oil filter change today...it was pretty gruesome. I think the picture will tell you everything you need to know. I also had to clean the spring it was so covered in what looked like hard mud and scum. Lemon ran great after i changed the filter with a KN113. I did some cheating today too.....I bought new kendra back tires and the rims were causing a bead leak....soooo since i do not have the tools to take a tire off and put it back on , I just emptied the air and put silicon around the rim where it was leaking (showed to me by soap and water) so I hope to have stopped that pesky leak !!

either way I am super happy to have a clean oil filter in the bike ! from now on I will change my oil filter any time I change my oil !
    http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...c/P1100283.jpg
    http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...c/P1100284.jpg
    http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...c/P1100285.jpg
    1985 250sx (Lemon)
    1985 250sx (Ruby)
    1985 250sx (Garnet)
    1985 200m (Hunter)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //