//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Honda 350X VIN Help Needed!

--

Honda 350X VIN Help Needed!

I have tried two different VIN decoders and need to register two of my 350x"s. I went to do the paperwork today and the VIN JH3TE0808FM010217 comes back as a 1985. Drove all the way to Pennsylvania for that one and wouldn't have bought it if it was an 85, (paid pretty good for it!). Anyone had this problem before? The Honda sticker says its a 1986. I ran another VIN of a known 86 that I do have paperwork for, (I have three of them), and it comes back as a 1986. I am trying to make out the VIN on another 350X to see how it comes up but my batteries are charging! Appreciate any help and was also wondering is there any way to tell the difference besides the plastics between a 1985 and 1986?
    ...the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abide in the vine...

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    If the production date is 6/85 or after it is considered an 86.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    If the production date is 6/85 or after it is considered an 86.
    How can I tell the production date and wouldn't the VIN come up as an 86 if it was made 6/85 and after?

--
    There actually are a few differences between the years. I just snagged a fresh 85 frame to replace the cracked/bent/hacked one on my 86...I still feel it's an 86, just with an 85 frame. Anyway, here's a list of what I found after comparing the 2:
    -86 uses larger bolts in the frame for the 2 sets of plate-type motor mounts (these bolts will not fit in an 85 frame)10mm vs. 8mm
    -the 85 frame will have a tab on the front of the downtube to hold the clutch cable (also one right above the ID sticker ) 86 clutch cable ran down the left side of the bike and didn't have these.
    - 86 frame will have a half-wrap around the frame on the left side where the rear motor mount tab is welded on. This was part of the improvements Honda did to strengthen the frame
    There are also a few other difference between the 2 years besides the frame. Including front brake setup, rear swingarm, clutch set-up, and rear shock reservoir.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tim215 View Post
    How can I tell the production date and wouldn't the VIN come up as an 86 if it was made 6/85 and after?
    Yes the VIN should come up as an 86. That F in the middle of your VIN says it's 85. Is it possible the frame was swapped at some point?

Rob

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rdlsz24 View Post
    Yes the VIN should come up as an 86. That F in the middle of your VIN says it's 85. Is it possible the frame was swapped at some point?

Rob
    That could have been possible but it has a 1986 Honda manufacturer sticker on it? I just went and got the engine number and am trying to figure out how to decode it. My manual doesn't seem to give that info. Thanks!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossyb20 View Post
    There actually are a few differences between the years. I just snagged a fresh 85 frame to replace the cracked/bent/hacked one on my 86...I still feel it's an 86, just with an 85 frame. Anyway, here's a list of what I found after comparing the 2:
    -86 uses larger bolts in the frame for the 2 sets of plate-type motor mounts (these bolts will not fit in an 85 frame)10mm vs. 8mm
    -the 85 frame will have a tab on the front of the downtube to hold the clutch cable (also one right above the ID sticker ) 86 clutch cable ran down the left side of the bike and didn't have these.
    - 86 frame will have a half-wrap around the frame on the left side where the rear motor mount tab is welded on. This was part of the improvements Honda did to strengthen the frame
    There are also a few other difference between the 2 years besides the frame. Including front brake setup, rear swingarm, clutch set-up, and rear shock reservoir.
    Thanks Flossy, the one in question does have the two tabs holding the clutch cable going down the right side of the down tube. I am waiting to hear back from the seller. If he is a member here and doesn't make it right I'll post his information. He really seemed like an honest person! Very disappointed to say the least!

--

Just a Note;

I bought this one because of the condition and that it was a 1986 but also it has the Electric Start set-up which was really needed with my arthritis and other health issues.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tim215 View Post
    That could have been possible but it has a 1986 Honda manufacturer sticker on it? I just went and got the engine number and am trying to figure out how to decode it. My manual doesn't seem to give that info. Thanks!
    Well I can buy any year sticker I want from Harlan and slap it on the frame. I'm not saying the seller would do it to be deceiving; if the sticker was missing or damaged and he thought it was an 86, he would have bought the 86 sticker

Rob

--
    Possible that is what happened but its not a brand new sticker or it wasn't applied well. After closer inspection looks like it was put right over the 1985 sticker so if that is the case I would guess it was an outright deception on the sellers part and possibly illegal but I'm not sure. based on what Flossy shared above there are obvious differences between the 85 and 86. Just to give the benefit of doubt it is possible that is how the seller received it but either way he will need to make it right with me and then it would be up to him to go after who he bought it from. I am a bit concerned as the seller was VERY knowledgeable and told me how he rebuilt many Honda ATC's so it appears he probably knew. I would guess the reason to try and pass it off as a 86 is the value difference it has after market plastics also that make it look like an 86, here is a photo of it taken a while ago before it was sold to me, condition isn't the same when I got there but was close,

I see now it doesn't have the 86 rims either. Guess I'm learning the hard way!

--
    That really sucks and is not right if he truly knew that!!!! hope he is honest and makes it right, good luck.

--
    I'm hoping! Just ran the engine number with a link MonroeMike gave me from the old site and the motor also is a 1985. Anyone know if the clutches are the same for the 85 and 86?

--
    I was just curious, anyone know what the production number was for the 1986 vs. the 1985 350X? Did Honda produce more or scale back?

--
    ...honestly I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than needed. It is a VERY clean trike for either year, the biggest difference is the bearing carrier and the way the rear brake is setup the rest are relatively minor tweaks. Do you mind me asking what you paid for it? Even in Oregon where trikes seem to be the cheapest and most plentiful in the country that could easily be $1500, on the same note 86's don't go for THAT much more.

While agree with you that purposeful deception is wrong and such people should be strung up by their toes. Don't be to hard on the seller, it's likely they don't know the differences even if they are knowledgeable about honda atc's in general and just went of the sticker on the neck said. I would say that I'm fairly knowledgeable but I don't go checking VINs and couldn't rattle off ALL the differences on the two years of the 350x even though that is what I have.

In any case its unlikely that you will get the seller to refund you any money and I'm no lawyer but I don't think you have much legal grounds to stand on as the VIN was not tampered with. I say enjoy your new trike with electric start and upgrade the parts as needed.

At least he didn't try to sell it as an 87
    mine: 85 Honda 350x

http://www.Jeep4PlayOffroad.org

--
    Tim
    As far as internals go, there's no difference in the clutches, but there are differences between the 2 years in how the clutch operates. In 85, the cable runs down the right side of the engine, and the clutch arm pulls back to front...in 86 the cable runs down the left side of the engine, behind the cylinder, and actuates outside to in. Looking at the pictures (it's still a VERY nice trike...but I understand your frustrations), it seems that both the frame and motor are indeed 85. Hope you get things worked out with the seller. Maybe he could refund you a couple hundred and you'd be able to sell it for what you got into, and then find that elusive 86!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //