//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: YZ 490 trike project

--

YZ 490 trike project

Hey guys, new here, just wanted to throw out my latest project to get some ideas.
    What I've got:
    Basketcase 87' YZ 490
    88-89? Yamaha warrior frame, axle, swinger, etc.

My idea is to graft the warrior subframe and swinger onto the YZ frame. The swinger will need milled down some but shouldn't be bad, oh and lengthened of course for the cool factor. For comparison sake, the yz frame is shown next to a 200X. To my suprize they are dimensionally almost identical, Rake is even the same.
    So how do you think a Tri-z front end will work? Anyone used one on a YZ frame? Is there a better option? I'd like to use the 490 forks but I think they are a larger diameter and longer of course, although the length might work out with the ext. swinger.
    Ideas? Experiences?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0889.jpg   100_0892.jpg  

--
    I forgot to add the YZ 490 forks are 43mm, anyone know the diameter of tri-z forks? or 250r, 350x, tecate?
    I hpoe to find some triples that can be made to work vs. custom building any.

--
    350x are 35mm

--
    Why not get a roller Tri-Z frame then the 490 motor is an almost bolt up drop in? I'm all about going the easy route with little fab work. The way your working seems to be a road less traveled. I'd rather fab a strecthy swinger for the Z and a pipe to fit in the frame and let that be my obstical to cross. To me, that and the resto is pleanty of work to make the 490 a timely build. Remember re-sale value as well...a chop job and weld will bring less than the drop490Z, JMO Keep the shock sell off the rest and get yourself a roller Z you'll thank me later.

--
    Thanks for the input thus far.

Anyone know of triples that may work with the 43mm forks?

I agree it would be easier to stuff the motor in a roller, but then, it would be easier yet to just buy a 250r. I guess easy just doesn't do it for me, I like the build. I don't intend to throw a ton of money at it, I just want to end up with what I think Yamaha should have built. Oh yeah, and using the big YZ490 fuel tank will be a big + in my book.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosnake View Post
    For comparison sake, the yz frame is shown next to a 200X. To my suprize they are dimensionally almost identical, Rake is even the same.
    i recommend re-evaluating the rake..
    2-stroke lover

--
    OK, goodluck. I can't wait for the ride report!

--
    Well I might have located a Z front end, not sure of the year yet. I understand the 86' had 39mm forks and I'm still hung up on using the 43mm 490 forks. Anyone think it would be safe to bore the triples?

--
    85-86 250R's used 39mm forks.
    86 Tri-Z's used 39mm forks.
    86-87 Tecates used 41mm forks.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    86-87 Tecate triples sound very promising at only 2mm diffrence. Not sure about swaping out the stem for the YZ but even if the diameter differs I think it can work. Anyone have a set of these?

Also thinking the z swinger might be a better starting point rather than the warrior version I have as the center is already open for fitment around the engine case.

--
    boring the 250r triples is safe to 43mm. idk about the others.

--
    The R triples are no doubt easier to find, so that's good. Do they have more "meat" than the others? Known to be stronger? I don't doubt you, just curious before I buy any and have them modified.

--
    OK, I have yet another question. I've been seeing 85 1/2' Tri-z. Was there a model change? in particular did the forks/triples change diameter?
    I compared the the 87' 490 stem to a Z stem (almost identical) looks like it would be a bolt on deal.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosnake View Post
    I've been seeing 85 1/2' Tri-z. Was there a model change? in particular did the forks/triples change diameter?
    There were no siginificant changes to the '85 1/2 model, and there was no change in the Tri-Z's fork diameter until the '86 model, when Yamaha increased it to 39mm. I'm not positive, but I think the '85 used 37mm forks.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    35mm on the '85
    2-stroke lover

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //