//ArrowChat Code

Thread: '84 Honda TRX200 Won't Start/Run Without Jumper Cables???

--

'84 Honda TRX200 Won't Start/Run Without Jumper Cables???

I just picked up an 84 TRX200. I can start it right up with jumper cables attached, but when they're disconnected, it usually shuts right off. Strangely, the symptoms are somewhat intermittent. Today I warmed it up for a little bit and was able to run it without the cables attached and rode around for a while. After it sat for an hour or so, no start or idle without the cables. It has a totally dead battery but if everything is in order shouldn't it start right up with the pull start anyway? JD

swifty is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    some atv's wont start or run correctly without a good battery, this must be one! just get a new battery
    ACT NOW THINK LATER!
    current trikes owned
    minty 86 250sx my rider
    pauter flat track framed 110-123cc with custom goodies
    pauter mx framed 110-123cc with aftermarket goodies
    joker framed 90-108cc with front suspension
    2007 artic cat DVX 400
    dickson sprint framed 73 green us90 with 110 engine

--
    Thanks Swifty. I was hoping I could just avoid the battery purchase and always use the pull start. Oh well, I'll try a new battery. JD

1984 honda 200s is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    good to know that this atv wont run without a battery!! and its a bugger to get going with the pull start on a low battery.

--
    One more question (stated several ways): Does this mean the battery won't charge during a ride? Will I have to periodically put the battery on a charger to keep the ignition system functioning? Shouldn't the stator put out enough juice to run the ignition system and recharge the battery as soon as the engine is running? I'm asking because I don't want to drop $70 on a battery if my charging system has other problems like a worn out stator, voltage regulator, etc. JD

--
    my 85 trx 200 has a pull start and thats all I use. it's a beater no battery or wiring( start and lights ). heck i never changed the oil in 3 years.( just add) i don't know how it stays running so well
    LIVE IN EAST PA. OR NEW JERSEY THEN CHECK THIS OUT www.njdirtriders.com SUPPORT LOCAL RIDING WITH US

--
    In that case, I may have a bad stator or something...right? JD

--
    I have a TRX200 shop manual, if you need, let me know.

--
    Thanks Mike, I already have one.

Now I'm having bigger troubles. It wouldn't start at all so I pulled the plug, cleaned it, plugged it into the coil and grounded it to the frame to check for spark. A couple days ago I had fireworks. Now I get one little blue spark on the first pull and then nothing. I can pull and pull and pull and get nothing. If I rest it for 30 seconds, I get one more spark...rest it another 30 seconds, one more spark...rest it another 30 seconds, one more spark, etc. I checked relevant connections repeatedly to no avail. My first guess would be a worn out coil (which I'll test for soon) but your guess is worth a lot more than mine! Any thoughts on my new problem? JD

swifty is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    if the battery is shot its not going to take a charge even if your charging system is working fine, yes a lot of stuff will run just off the stator once its started but some will not or wont run correctly, ive had many 220 kawasaki bayous that wouldnt idle without a good new battery, on the spark issue its hard to say without proper testing. maybe running it without a good battery burnt up your stator? just a thought
    ACT NOW THINK LATER!
    current trikes owned
    minty 86 250sx my rider
    pauter flat track framed 110-123cc with custom goodies
    pauter mx framed 110-123cc with aftermarket goodies
    joker framed 90-108cc with front suspension
    2007 artic cat DVX 400
    dickson sprint framed 73 green us90 with 110 engine

--
    I'm pretty sure it isn't the stator now because I can switch on the lights and they light up nicely when I yank on the pull start. The ignition power is just getting lost somewhere. I have a feeling that the telling symptom may be the way I can get ONE spark on the first pull as long as I rest it for 30 seconds between pulls. I've heard of coils and cdi units bugging out as soon as they warm up a little but I don't think I've ever heard of this particular symptom. I'm going to test for power going to the coil now. Really hoping it isn't the cdi as the cheapest used one I've found is $70 and three days ago my used cdi worked fine.

Also, I'm pretty sure this problem is related to my original problem with the battery. Thinking about it, if my spark has been weakening, the extra juice coming from the jumper cables might just have been enough to keep it limping along. JD

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //