//ArrowChat Code
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Never before seen Honda ATC's (proto-types)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnroy1971 View Post
    I had one of you're Powroll training video's a few year's ago,I wish I still had it.If I remember,it had an 86 200x and a 350x in it.What was you're favorite year 200x? Thank's for bringing back these memories.
    Yea I wish I had one too, I think my dad has one.

I like the first 3 years. The 86'/87's didn't have a very good head (flow wise),but they did have a 6 speed.

--
    An IRS trike ? I can't see that being too stable. Did you ever get to ride that bad boy ? And what was it's purpose and size ? Race, utility ?
    Tionesta Trikes ATC 450R
    86 250R
    86 Tecate-3
    83 ATC 70
    85 Big Red
    81 KLT 200
    85 250SX
    Tricky Dicks Cagiva WMX 200 sold
    Trikefest survivor 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...dback+eric250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric250R View Post
    An IRS trike ? I can't see that being too stable. Did you ever get to ride that bad boy ? And what was it's purpose and size ? Race, utility ?
    need a rear swaybar for sure

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric250R View Post
    It was for racing,I think Sundal was the only one that rode it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    No pics of air cooled water cooled stuff. I take it you are talking about the 200 Kawies. All I know about that is all I had to do on the big TT tracks is push Jimmy White hard enough where he had to run his air cooled 200 real hard and it would blow up about the 5th lap. The big front tire again wouldn't let the air get to the air cooled motors.

Kawasaki has always been known for building fast motors,but the rest of the bike wasn't up to par. On TT's they could win easy,but MX wasn't as easy and you had to be the better rider,and JW was. It made for some good battles,Red vs Green.

The Honda 250 riders started crying because JW was hole shoting all the time and it made it harder for them to win. They said it was the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear that was the problem and when the shifted 3rd it wouldn't pull hard enough.

For some reason they put me on Sundal's 250 at Santa Cruz. It had Ohtsu 18's on the rear and I hated those tires because they would roll in the corners and I would tip when I wanted to slide. I put my Carlisle R/A 16's on and everyone thought I was crazy.. I went out and won the heat race in the 200 class on my 200x and the 250 class. Then I won the 200 main,but when it came to the 250 main I didn't have much left in me. I wasn't in shape hang on to the two stroke with twice the power. However I did hole shot JW big time because I would start in 3rd gear with the small tires,and kept the lead for about half the race,then I died,I didn't have anything left for JW.That was the only time I rode a 250 and I proved that you could hole shot with the right set up.

Attachment 118236Attachment 118237
    Mickey, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread! Very cool stuff! Pretty surreal. I remember seeing you race at the Oklahoma Winter Nationals back in the day. I'm pretty sure I still have a program from '84 somewhere. I'll have to look for it.

I wonder if the Kawasaki air cool was a KDX 200 motor. We considered using one for a conversion for the 200 class but kept looking for something water-cooled and faster. Then we came across the Cagiva. I'm glad we waited.

I was always a fan of the Carlisle Amerathon R/A. It was a good, stiff little tire. Carlisle probably used the same material as the trail pro.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDickII View Post
    Mickey, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread! Very cool stuff! Pretty surreal. I remember seeing you race at the Oklahoma Winter Nationals back in the day. I'm pretty sure I still have a program from '84 somewhere. I'll have to look for it.

I wonder if the Kawasaki air cool was a KDX 200 motor. We considered using one for a conversion for the 200 class but kept looking for something water-cooled and faster. Then we came across the Cagiva. I'm glad we waited.

I was always a fan of the Carlisle Amerathon R/A. It was a good, stiff little tire. Carlisle probably used the same material as the trail pro.

You are correct it was the KDX 200.

The first tires we got from Carlisle were hard,but then later we got them to make me some softer tires which were called the R/A's.

OK. city was my second in a row win against Honda,just coming off a win in my home town Seattle at the Kingdome. It started raining right before the main and you couldn't even walk on the clay track at OK.I knew it wasn't going to be about going fast,it was more about just getting out to the starting line. I put on a set of stock tires and pumped them up to 15psi. The only problem I had was I didn't have time to change the gearing.I took off in first gear and it would only pull third gear tops,BUT THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ok 1.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	118376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ok 2.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	118377

The funny thing was Big Team Honda with all their money and big trailers full of tires,they didn't have any stock tires. Their team riders were out trying to buy up anyone's stock tires.

--
    this is a awesome thread and i would love to find more info on the 500r. as i ahve already built a 500 tecate and looking for a cr500 powered r.
    ok here goes, 85 atc70,2 84 atc70's 83 alt50,83 atc110 , 70 us 90 parot green, 85/86 350x garage queen, stock rider 85 350x, project 85 350x 85 250r drag bike, 2 85 250sx's, alt185, , scat tracker?99blaster,85 250r rider,85 250r ice racer project ,93 kx500,99 xr200r, 91 dr250s ,89 lt500 quadzilla,88 lt250quadracer, 88 trx250r race full on race quad,, 01 yamahakodiak400, kawaki kd100,lt50 for my doughters,93 300ex, 230 quadsport, lt185, lt250 quadrunner,84200s, is that enough?

--
    You are correct it was the KDX 200.

The first tires we got from Carlisle were hard,but then later we got them to make me some softer tires which were called the R/A's.

OK. city was my second in a row win against Honda,just coming off a win in my home town Seattle at the Kingdome. It started raining right before the main and you couldn't even walk on the clay track at OK.I knew it wasn't going to be about going fast,it was more about just getting out to the starting line. I put on a set of stock tires and pumped them up to 15psi. The only problem I had was I didn't have time to change the gearing.I took off in first gear and it would only pull third gear tops,BUT THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ok 1.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	118376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ok 2.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	118377

The funny thing was Big Team Honda with all their money and big trailers full of tires,they didn't have any stock tires. Their team riders were out trying to buy up anyone's stock tires.
    Yes, it was a muddy mess that year.

I got the OK City program out last night and found a pic of Jimmy White's KDX 200 powered Tecate. Ironically, it was above one of our ads. That's probably why I thought I had seen it before.

I also scanned your profile from the program with a pic of you racing with your stock tires. I'm sure you have it though. I also scanned an article about how Team Honda came prepared for the '84 race after not having the right tires in '83. Thought you'd enjoy it. I'll have to scan this whole program sometime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jw-kdx2000001.jpg   mickeydunlap0001.jpg   teamhonda0001.jpg  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDickII View Post
    Yes, it was a muddy mess that year.

I got the OK City program out last night and found a pic of Jimmy White's KDX 200 powered Tecate. Ironically, it was above one of our ads. That's probably why I thought I had seen it before.

I also scanned your profile from the program with a pic of you racing with your stock tires. I'm sure you have it though. I also scanned an article about how Team Honda came prepared for the '84 race after not having the right tires in '83. Thought you'd enjoy it. I'll have to scan this whole program sometime.
    LOL that's funny,I had never seen that. I guess they could learn something from an old country boy about being prepared.

About 4 or 5 races in to 83' Honda came to me and offered me a deal for the rest of the year so they could use me in their win ads. They didn't win any races so far that year in the 200 class and Honda wanted to run win ads.

--
    Would kawasaki used the same Tecate chasis for the kdx 200 motors? Did kawie ever have a 250 air cooler prototype mabey in 82-83 season?
    The Green No More Red EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate
    1984 KXT 250 Tecate Parts machine
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate My vintage racer
    1983 KX 250
    Proud member of
    3wheelerworld.com
    3wheeler.org
    Planettrike.com
    Airfoolers.com
    http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=80907

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecate250 View Post
    Would kawasaki used the same Tecate chasis for the kdx 200 motors? Did kawie ever have a 250 air cooler prototype mabey in 82-83 season?
    Yes,they use the 250 frame and just stuck the 200 motor in it. I was building a KLX 200 (or what ever the name was)four stroke motor in the 250 frame too in 85' when I raced for them,but never finished in because I went back to racing my 200x half way into the year.

--
    Yes,they use the 250 frame and just stuck the 200 motor in it. I was building a KLX 200 (or what ever the name was)four stroke motor in the 250 frame too in 85' when I raced for them,but never finished in because I went back to racing my 200x half way into the year.
    Alright! Thanks for the answer! I've been diggin' into this for a while now. Wanted to get my son into a Tecate chasis, but de-boring a KXT motor was to expensive and still a bit to much possibly. Sounds like the motor mounts etc. may be matching up. And even know of a couple motors at an old school shop. This is an option for an A1/A2 build. A narrower front tire and vent the front fender. My head is churning now. Thanks for the question Tecate250 and thank you for the information TrickydickII, and thanks for the answer Mickey Dunlap.
    83' 200x (son's). 85' 200 auto-x & 85' 125m (daughters). 84' Tecate(?). 85' KXT Tecate (mine!, mine!, mine!.)+ some others but don't feel like typing them in.

--
    Blog Entries
    Wow man I meet Mike Coe , Tom Gaian, Brett Driscoll ,Corda this weekend and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were all out playin in the dunes!

to the site!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Raffa View Post
    Wow man I meet Mike Coe , Tom Gaian, Brett Driscoll ,Corda this weekend and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were all out playin in the dunes!

to the site!
    What is Tommy doing now?

--
    Blog Entries
    didnt ask actually ,,too busy in awe over his photo album and hearing the storys as he went threw each picture...your name was spoke of alot this week...are your ears ringing? hahah!

he said something about prepairing for his sons big race for the U.S.A BMX team..

OH and I saw some wicked ass pictures of you guys!!!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //