//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Deadly poison gas from welding something you cleaned with brakleen?

--
    Holy Sh!t. Did Barnett just learn how to multiquote?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Holy Sh!t. Did Barnett just learn how to multiquote?

Hello bkm

Although your post is off topic I'll be happy to answer your question for you.

Yes my good friend, scary isn’t it? Imagine the megaposts I can make now, lol. My thanks to MOSH for voluntarily telling to me how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    For the love of all internet forums Barnett...Please, Please, please, use the friggin quote button. The bottom right of every post there is a reply quote button. Try it.

--
    Off topic yes, relevant to the sanity of the members who can now read your post's without getting an aneurysm, hell yes. lol

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Hello bkm

Hey, check this out, I can make a box inside of a box now too, cool huh?, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Off topic yes, relevant to the sanity of the members who can now read your post's without getting an aneurysm, hell yes. Lol
    Read my posts??? I didn’t think anyone actually read my posts, lol.

300rman is offline My other user 3WW ID was Nitebiker07. Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    In order for this to happen, you have to use chlorinated brake cleaner with argon shielding gas. I didnt even know you could get chlorinated brake cleaner anymore, everything I have ever seen is non-chlorinated

--
    Hello

Quote Originally Posted by 300rman View Post
    In order for this to happen, you have to use chlorinated brake cleaner with argon shielding gas.
    The excerpt from a science article copied in my post 15 along with the science article whose link is pasted below say it’s even easier than that. Below is another article I have regarding this topic. I only understand about ½ of it and the equations look like member Tran’s Vietnamese posts to me, lol, but if a non scientist [like myself] reads enough of it they can get at least a general understanding of what’s going on.

The excerpt from the science article in my post 15 above states that only heat [beginning at 400 degrees] alone is necessary to create phosgene from tetrachloroethylene. The science article in the link pasted below suggests similar [see pg 133 paragraph 1]. The article also states in the last paragraph on pg 142 that in a case where tetrachloroethylene is broken down into phosgene by uv rays created during welding and shielded by a “conventional” welding tip shield that the use of a glass pyrex shield in place of the conventional one virtually eliminates the decomposition of trichloroethylene. This sounds strange to me since this same article states that phosgene decomposes at 800 degrees and the temperature within the radius of the welding shields is well over 800 degrees. I also didn’t see back to back test results in the article to substantiate the writers shielding claim. Glad I’m not a chemical scientist.

Pg 133. phosgene created from the decomposition of trichloroethylene by different heat sources, pg 142. last paragraph explains glass shielding eliminates trichloroethylene decomposition into phosgene.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fM4...osgene&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by 300rman View Post
    I didnt even know you could get chlorinated brake cleaner anymore, everything I have ever seen is non-chlorinated
    I don’t know the answer to this myself but CRC still makes it. A quick call to them should answer that question. See the link below.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/crc-br...-parts-cleaner

--
    bump this upppppp.

EZ mistake to make.

No flame with brakleen

Watford city, North Dakota United States "THE BAKKEN" / Lebanon, Oregon United states.
    --
    Link to the story is broken

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saying "it's the trikes fault" is like saying "guns kill people"
    don't poke the bear... you'll get banned

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47KID View Post
    Link to the story is broken
    Which story are you referring to?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

Watford city, North Dakota United States "THE BAKKEN" / Lebanon, Oregon United states.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Here is a link to a guys story:
    http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
    This story
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Which story are you referring to?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saying "it's the trikes fault" is like saying "guns kill people"
    don't poke the bear... you'll get banned

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47KID View Post
    This story
    Here it is.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html

I especially like the part where he says he read the warning label on the can AFTER he got a big whiff of it . This is certainly the order in which I would do it too.

"After about 10 minutes I went to the office at the house and sat at the computer to check the warnings on the brake cleaner can..."

"Do not use this product near open flames, welding operations, or excessive heat."

--
    A friend of mine was poisoned. One big whiff.. They kept him in the hospital for 4 days.. He wasn't right for a couple months.. He was lucky. He had stopped by a friends house to help troubleshoot a welder.. He had no idea the scrap pieces of steel he found on the floor had brake kleen residue on them from a project earlier that day. He was leaning over the workpiece and only laid an inch long weld..
    2-stroke lover

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Deadly poison gas from welding something you cleaned with brakleen?

I thought about this thread all week. On Tuesday of this week I had removed the filler neck from my truck to modify, repair, and mount it in a different and more permanent place on the body of my truck. It involved cutting the old filler neck off where the cap mounted and welding on an extension for a new cap. After chopping the old cap mating surface off my factory filler neck, I cleaned all the old paint and rust off it and discovered it was full of holes that had rusted through. I would have just replaced the entire thing at that point, but I didn't have the time to wait for the new filler neck to arrive. Instead I decided to weld all the holes up, which I did, and then I sprayed out the new filler neck with carb cleaner to get all the debris out of it from cutting and welding before I welded the two pieces together as well as check the neck for leaks. My first instinct was to grab the brake cleaner which I almost did, but then I thought about this thread. There is the very real possibility this thread may have saved my life.

I had my truck nosed in the garage as far as I could get it, which means roughly half of the truck was hanging out of the garage door. Because of that, there wasn't as much ventilation in the garage as I should have had because the truck was taking up a lot of the door space. As I was welding the new piece of the filler neck to the old, the part was rolling coal. Old diesel, paint, carb cleaner, and rust smoke all were cooking off the part. It was quite a bit of smoke, more than I wanted to breathe, but I really wanted to get this finished and was short on time right at that moment. At one point I caught a whiff of what smelled like welding galvanized steel, which is poisonous as well. I had a feeling I might be in trouble at that point. There was no galvie in what I was welding that I was aware, but I knew that was a bad smell. I finished up and went outside the garage for some air. I felt fine at that time and continued on with what I was doing until I was done.

That night I felt ill, and I continued to feel ill up until about this morning (Sunday). My stomach and appetite were not right and my head hurt. I couldn't taste or smell much either, which is less notable for me because I smoke cigarettes. I knew what it was because I did this before in 2014, but that time it was from doing a lot of welding with flux-cored wire. I was outside on that one, plenty of ventilation, but it still got me. This time I was just begging for it with the circumstances I created. I don't want this to happen again, but at least I'm not dead, lol.

I felt there was a lesson here, I dunno. Weld in properly ventilated areas I guess, don't weld galvie unless you know what you're doing and have a respirator, try to clean your metal of all chemicals and paints, and don't ever friggin forget that brake clean will kill you!!!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 03-12-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I usually have a small table fan blowing when I weld. None of the welding smoke shyte is good for you, brake cleaner or not. If you're gas shield type welding you don't want the fan blowing directly on the part your welding, just indirectly enough to pull the smoke and fumes away.

When I build my new shop I'll have an overhead venting system with a piece of flexible ducting tube I can place close to the welding work on the weld table.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Whoa, hang on a moment. Even the "residue" does this same think to you??

It was my understanding, in a story I read quite awhile back, that there was a small amount in liquid form that had not yet fully evaporated, and he encountered just a teenie weenie POOF of smoke when he started tig welding.

Even the minute traces con do this?? Wow, might be time to have your wife try some Tig welding, I'm just kidding; It sounds like a horror show anyway you slice it....

I've been cleaning aluminum with acetone before I work on my aluminum TIG skills and I've played in solvents and or gas since I was 12 years old. It did concern me having my hands in solvent for many years at the time. I'd order gloves and another employee would tear them and I'd be forced to use the solvent for awhile until the plant "manager" would approve new gloves.

I definitely did not want to continue that circle of impending doom and I'm self employed now so I do and use whatever I want.

In about 1996 I remember that we had gallons of another type of solvent. You could throw a running electrical motor in there and it would just clean it all up. Then we got cut off and tried using A-solve as an industrial mechanic and it didn't work anywhere's near as effective; But I imagine it was much better than the Satan Solvent....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //