//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Project "Bandito" 90/110

--
    oh man i was digging this post.. really wish it didnt end this way... now we will never know..

--
    Ran across this old thread and was wondering if anything ever materialized. I hate when they just drop off the map.

--
    Sorry that I just let this thread drop off like I did. I moved shortly after my last post on it. My girlfriend at the time started having some serious health issues. Then in 2012 she suffered a fatal heart attack. After that I considered selling all of my trikes. I'm really glad now that I didn't!!! Since then I became reaquainted with a girl that lived across the street from me when I was pretty young. We hadn't seen each other in over 40 years. We got married four months ago on July 4th. Things are lookin up!
    I ended up using the beater 110 as a beater. After a good tune up and a few oil changes, it runs like a top. It's been to TF twice. 13 & 14. I picked up a good donor 90 at TF11 but ended up fixing it up instead. I used the rear fenders that I fixed up on this thread on it, along with the seat. It went to Tf 13 & 14 also. I picked up a 1974 atc 70 frame and rear axle assembly at FT13 and restored it in time for TF14. So I guess you could say that, life happened, and I have been very busy.
    And now I'm sure you are wondering about the Bandito. I still have it and I keep picking up tidbits for it when I can. You will see lots of progress on this starting fairly soon. I have found quite a few vintage goodies for it. I plan on getting a set of the low profile rear fenders for it. About a year ago I got a stroker crank and big bore set up for it. I also plan on keeping it rigid instead of semi suspended. I think at this point my goal is to have it done in time for TF15. We'll see how I do. Keep you posted!!!

A few pics of the ones I've done since I last posted on this thread. These three pics were taken at TF14 and that's my wife in the picture with the beater 110.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4476.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	204060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4484.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	204061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4485.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	204062
    Appalachian American Racing
    the home of
    Appalachian American Engineering

"Can't", never could do nothing

There's nothing like the sound of screaming 2strokes and the smell of race gas in the air

--
    Good deal. Get it started. We need some good 90/110 Action on here!
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio View Post
    We got married four months ago on July 4th.
    right after TF? You two looked like you were having a great time putting around.

Congratulations, Sir!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    right after TF? You two looked like you were having a great time putting around.

Congratulations, Sir!
    Yes, Sir, we did. We worked for two weeks after TF then got married and went to Wyoming for our Honeymoon. This was a very busy summer for me. I'll see if I can get some pictures up this weekend of some of the goodies that I'll be using for this project.
    the home of

There's nothing like the sound of screaming 2strokes and the smell of race gas in the air

--
    Here are a few of the parts that I will be using for this project. The H&S is a 58mm stroker. I have a 59.5 Bapp also but it needs to be rebuilt so it will be saved for another project. I'm going to get a Web cam for it and I'll be deleting the sub tranny and installing a manual clutch. I have 3 pipes to choose from. I'm not sure which one I'll use yet.

Name:	DSCF3414.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	834.3 KB 
ID:	204199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3418.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	902.7 KB 
ID:	204200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3421.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	828.2 KB 
ID:	204201
    the home of

--
    Well I'm still collecting STUFF for this build. I think I have everything nailed down as far as parts to be used. I'm wondering if any of you guys have a real good picture of the BAPP colors from their product packaging. I want to do this in period correct paint scheme and I think the BAPP colors and bold stripes would be perfect. I don't have any really good pictures to use to match the paint to. If anyone has a really clear shot of the BAPP product packaging that could post it up here, I would be very grateful. The tank is ready for paint and the rear fenders are in the mail, so it's time for me to get serious about the paint.
    the home of

--
    I have an almost fool proof way to remove broken studs without drilling or tapping and this eliminates the possibility of breaking off drill bits, easyouts and taps in the holes. I've even used this process to remove broken drill bits, easyouts and taps that have been broken off trying repair broken studs and bolts.
    I use a mig welder to build up enough material so that I can get a good bite on it with a Good pair of vice-grips. As soon as I get it built up I put the vice-grips on it and start turning them back and forth. You sometimes have to start in very small l increments until the bolt or whatever starts to move more freely. I've had the weld break off many times until I finally got it moving. Over the years I have a success rate of over 99%. The heat from the weld loosens up the bolt, stud or whatever enough to get it out. I've even removed taps, etc. that were broken off below the surface.
    Or take an arc welder and weld the welding rod on the bolt and just use a vise grips from there
    1982 big red
    1974 atc 90
    Life is hard, but its harder if you're stupid - John Wayne

--
    This is what I'm shooting for, if I could just get a better idea what the colors really are.

Name:	teambapp.1.JPG 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	211355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teambapp.3.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	211356

I got this picture from ebay but there's just a little too much glare in the picture to see the true colors.

Name:	bappcam.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	211357

Does anyone have a better picture of the Team BAPP machines or the packaging they could share?
    the home of

--
    I am using a Dark Burgundy, Red, and Orange for my strip colors. I'm getting close to paint myself. Just got cold around here so I put it on the back burner.
    Here is the Yellow I am using for my base color.

Name:	joes pics phone 1479.jpg 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	211393

Here is a pic of a package that I had a while back. You don't really see any really good pic's of the original colors.

Name:	joes pics phone 1414.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	211396

I scanned this pic from one of my mags. A little better pic of one of the original bikes.

Name:	BAPP20002.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	211397

Keep us posted on the Build!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Farrow View Post
    I am using a Dark Burgundy, Red, and Orange for my strip colors. I'm getting close to paint myself. Just got cold around here so I put it on the back burner.
    Here is the Yellow I am using for my base color.

Name:	joes pics phone 1479.jpg 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	211393

Here is a pic of a package that I had a while back. You don't really see any really good pic's of the original colors.

Name:	joes pics phone 1414.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	211396

I scanned this pic from one of my mags. A little better pic of one of the original bikes.

Name:	BAPP20002.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	211397

Keep us posted on the Build!
    Thanks a bunch. I've been searching for any and all info and pictures of these colors so I could get the paint for this project. I wasn't sure if that was a odd brown or burgundy that was used. I am a bodyman by trade so getting the paint is no problem. I was just a little unsure of the one color. The rest I was fairly certain about. Now I'll just borrow one of the paint chip books until I find the suitable colors.
    I also want to say that I'm not trying to copy the one you're building. I had been looking at different custom paint jobs from the late 70's through early 80's for this. I found some of the best stuff on the custom vans of that era but I kept thinking about the picture of all of the Team Bapp bikes lined up. I first saw that on a thread here from 2010 I think. I know from experience that solid colors are the easiest to touch up or repair small areas. And also knowing this will be ridden, it's likely to get a chip or two. The BAPP machines had the bold stripes and they were all solid colors, so it didn't take long to decide on that particular color scheme. Besides, BAPP was a major player in the beginning of the atc racing scene.
    I'm sure your's will have a lot more BAPP stuff on it than mine. By the way, I'm going with chrome forks not suspended. I'm going for the flat track look. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Like you said, it's been a little too cold in the garage to work on projects. I would spend more time trying to keep it warm than I would, working.
    the home of

--
    Well, the final piece for this build arrived today. I guess I shouldn't say final piece, because I'm sure that before it's done I'll find something else that I need. Now it's time to get motivated and get this show on the road.
    I'd like to give a big thanks to, Jeremy, 90crazy, for the fenders. They are high quality and he's a super person to deal with!!!

Name:	_DSC8802.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	841.9 KB 
ID:	211465
    the home of

--
    Thanks a bunch. I've been searching for any and all info and pictures of these colors so I could get the paint for this project. I wasn't sure if that was a odd brown or burgundy that was used. I am a bodyman by trade so getting the paint is no problem. I was just a little unsure of the one color. The rest I was fairly certain about. Now I'll just borrow one of the paint chip books until I find the suitable colors.
    I also want to say that I'm not trying to copy the one you're building. I had been looking at different custom paint jobs from the late 70's through early 80's for this. I found some of the best stuff on the custom vans of that era but I kept thinking about the picture of all of the Team Bapp bikes lined up. I first saw that on a thread here from 2010 I think. I know from experience that solid colors are the easiest to touch up or repair small areas. And also knowing this will be ridden, it's likely to get a chip or two. The BAPP machines had the bold stripes and they were all solid colors, so it didn't take long to decide on that particular color scheme. Besides, BAPP was a major player in the beginning of the atc racing scene.
    I'm sure your's will have a lot more BAPP stuff on it than mine. By the way, I'm going with chrome forks not suspended. I'm going for the flat track look. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Like you said, it's been a little too cold in the garage to work on projects. I would spend more time trying to keep it warm than I would, working.
    From day one..... A few days after the first 3Wheeling magazine came out, I always thought the BAPP bikes were cool.
    Here is a pic of me and my brother from sometime in 1980. I painted the tank and fenders in my room with a . LOL What were my parents thinking....
    Ever since I have got back into 3 Wheelers my goal has been to recreate one of the BAPP bikes.

Name:	joe and jud 1980.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	211471

I'm glad you are making a BAPP bike as well. Maybe one of these days we can have enough to make a pic like the Team BAPP 3Wheeling article.

Name:	BAPP4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	211472

--
    Those are some cool pics
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //