//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Tri z wont start...

Kale is offline First Time Rider Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --

Tri z wont start...

Hello,
    USPS finally shipped the CDI, three weeks for international connected the wires and finally spark!!! problem 1 solved. put the plug in and kicked it for a while but it wont fire. I pulled the plug again and it was wet, so the engine is getting fuel. dried it out and put it in again, making sure not to flood it when starting it. still wont start and im baffled because its sparking and getting fuel. Is it possible that it is flooding or not sparking when the plug is tightened. there should be spark tho, because there is when grounded to the cylinder. The air box was off because i had to get at the wiring harness, but that should lean it out rather than richen it any ideas???
    Thanks,
    Kale

WilliamJ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Is the compression good, the ignition timing correct, is the fuel new, are you using a new plug? Air box shouldn't be a problem.
    Custodian of:-
    85 Tri Z - need rear plastics to go with Mosh seat cover
    83 200x - engine being rebuilt but lodging with a friend
    85 250r - also lodging with a friend until I have a new shed
    ....and a different kind of Z

acidburn is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    ignition timing is what comes to my head cause you might be getting spark at the wrong valve stroke.

--
    Yes, it has good compression. blows your finger off when you hold it above the spark plug hole. Spark plug is new too. Now i think its not getting fuel because i put the new plug in and kicked it giving it throttle and it was unburnt and dry and didn't smell. syphened some gas out of the tank, and there's a bunch of crap and stuff in there. Guess that means taking the tank off and cleaning the carb and everything else out. is there a drain screw in the carb that i can turn out so it trains down the overflow hose?

jmax857 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    you should definately clean the carb, especially if it has been sitting. also the fuel pump on a z, is a PITA to get primed up by just kicking, i recommend pulling the hose off the carb, blocking it at the t fitting, and suck till you get the taste o gas in your mouth. then hook it back up to the carb and its primed. if you want to see if its getting fuel just take the carb bowl plug out and see, there is no drain screw, you gotta get some gas on your hands.

1987350x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If your not a fan of gas in your mouth.......
    You can blow on your air vent which is up by the handlebars to push the gas from the tank into the carb.
    When you blow, keep your finger on the end of the hose to keep air pressure pushing the gas.
    It also would help to have an in-line filter just before the carb to filter dirt out after you clean the carb and also to watch the fuel enter the carb as you blow in the air vent.
    My Trikes: Past and Present
    1985 Yamaha TRI-Z
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 (x2)
    1986 Honda 250R
    1986 Honda 350X

--
    alright!!! she runs poured some gas down the spark plug hole and fired up 1st kick, so its definitely the carb. gonna try to get around to cleaning it tomorrow. put the rest of the machine together and she'll be ready to rip

--
    its the fuel pump. pulled the fuel hose off the petcock and turned the tank upside down and connected it with the tank above the carb. blew on the carb drain hose and let it get some fuel from the tank. fired right up and idled so stoked!!! gonna take the fuel pump to a sled shop and get them to rebuild it and should be in business.

jmax857 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    its verry easy to rebuild. its just putting in a new diaphraham.

zzmegad is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

--
    I have a 85 tri-z. It’s getting fuel, spark and compression but it won’t start.

--
    It started up second kick idle for a few seconds then stoped and won’t start again

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //