//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Yamaha 225 Tri Moto

--

1986 Yamaha 225 Tri Moto

Just bought it, I am new to 3 wheelers. So there is going to be some dumb questions here.
    1. Does anybody know where I can get a paper copy of a repair manual for this bike?
    2. What kind of oil does this take
    3. Where can I get good parts for the cheapest price for these?
    4. The trike seems to not completly go into 1st gear every now and then. Like the trans is slipping or something. Is there a fix for this, or is the trans going out?

Any and all help is appreciated, I am a mechanic so I will pick up on it fast. I just want to do everything is good on this bike because I want it to last. It is in great shape and I wanna keep it that way without breaking the bank lol.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Mr.Atc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    1. get the original manual from ebay or search online and there are probably downloadable manuals
    2. 10w-40 id run amsoil in it its good stuff
    3. ebay
    4. idk never had it happen to me

--
    Ok thanks for the info. Ya I was thinking either Amsoil or Royal purple, thats what I run in my Trans Am. I know the guy I bought it from was saying he runs Yamalube, just was not sure if that was better than car oil or not. I am thinking of adjusting the clutch to see if that makes the shifting better or not. I will have to check out ebay for the manual. Thanks again

--
    Only run Yamalube! Especially since that was what he was running. Yamalube is an excellent oil. Never run automotive oil in an ATV. You will cause your clutch to slip due to the friction reducing additives. Don't forget to change the oil filter.

There is a manual floating around on here. Search around and you will find it.

If you want to adjust the clutch. Here is a quick how-to. With the engine cold losen the lock nut. Turn the screw slowly (counterclockwise) until you feel resistance. When you feel it get tight then turn it 1/8 of a turn in the opposite direction (clockwise) and lock the nut.

--
    ok thank you. I am going to do that prolly this weekend. OK I will pick up some Yamalube from the local Yamaha shop this weekend too. I was told that a lawn mower battery will work in these also, is that true or do I need to buy a motorcycle battery? Sorry for the newbie questions, this is ny first atv. I have rode them alot in the past just never owned one myself

--
    here's some questions for you is it a dx or a dr, does it have reverse, also, how high is the idle I know with my dx it gets a lil pissy at times when trying to shift it down or up depending on the throttle. I would only run yamalube or hondalube, regular motor oil will eventually cause them to start smoking, and avoid synthetic unless you have freshly rebuilt it. Synthetic will find a leak even if you don't have one previously, because it is thinner. Parts wise I would say stick to a dealer, unless you have a expensive dealer mine is very reasonable here, otherwise e-bay for parts or here in the classifieds. Anything in particular you are looking for, I might have it. And one last thing if you change the back breaks do both pads, I just had to replace the whole rear brake assembly on mine because p.o. only did one pad.

--
    I am not sure which it is. All the decals are peeled off it. I know that it does not have reverse. Iam going to stick with amalube, I have a dealer right up the road from me. The idle seems good, it is not a high idle at all. There is no parts I really need, just a battery, ad it will need some tires in the future. The ones I have are ok but I would like to have better. I think it is going to need a new pull start here soon too, soetimes it gts stuck and don;t wanna reel itself in, I need to take it off and clean it before I replace it. I was just wanting to know where I could get parts for future reference.

--

--
    The previous owner told me it was a 86, but he gave me a new set of brake pads for it, when I looked on the back of the package it was hand written saying they was for a 85 YTM 225. I will post up some pics and the vin here in the next few days when I get time. I know there is 2 lights on the handle bars one is green (neutral) one is red (not sure what it is for since it is rubbed off). Thank you for the manual links, I am just going to print them off, I know I talked to Yamaha about them and they was wanting like 40 bucks for them. Thanks again guys for all the help.

--
    well the red light is for reverse, but you said it didn't have it, it is different on yammis, than hondas. On a yammi the reverse lever is by the pull starter, also with the pull starter, sounds like it needs to be cleaned and re greased. When you reassemble it don't lock the nut that holds it all together down really tight or it will hang like it's doing, I believe the manual will tell you the torque spec for that nut, and show all the lube points that is needed. Also does it have rear suspension, because a lot of 225 and 200 parts are identical especially the brake pads, if you could post pics that would be great help too

--
    I forgot to mention that if you find out it is the clutch that went bad I have a good set sitting here just tore down a 1985 225 dr motor, as too much was missing from the drivers side to want to rebuild it, I found out that what was really wrong with it was a bad cam chain, meaning it had snapped and was no longer there. Original piston was freshly ringed, and was missing the pullstart and the engine spacer with forward and reverse lever.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha3wheeler View Post
    Never run automotive oil in an ATV. You will cause your clutch to slip due to the friction reducing additives. Don't forget to change the oil filter.

I've used automotive oil in all my atvs and motorcycles for the last 20 years without a problem. As long as it doesn't say "energy conserving" in the little circle, it's ok for the clutches. Oil is oil. I run cheap 10W40 from Oreillys or Advanced Auto without any problems. Let the oil war begin!

--
    hhmmm, ok when I asked the previous owner about reverse he said it did not have it, he owned it for 5 years so I had to think he knows everything about it. Mybye it does have it then since it has the red light. So there will be a lever by the pull start. I am going to have to look for this lever. If I get time today I will take some pics of it. If not I will do it tomorrow, I also am going to get the vin and run it. Thanks for the info on the pull start and I will also let you know about the clutch. Yeah it has rear suspension, it has a monoshock. I think I am going to stick with yamalube, mainly for the reason that is all that has ever bin in the engine.
    Last edited by transam8405; 05-05-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

--
    @ smvorndran

That might start an oil war. Just kidding. I completely agree with what you are saying and I definitely appreciate you bringing that point up.

I recommended Yamalube to him knowing that it is definitely compatable with his 3 wheeler. Of course you can do some research and save a few bucks using a non ATV oil and be just fine. I probably will spend 20-30 dollars more per year for Yamalube. For my peace of mind I choose to stick with what I know works. I've also been know to mis-read labels. In other words, I could possibly conserve some energy.

I think it is really up to what the owner feels comfortable with. I also baby mine like my first born.

So anyway, like I said, you brought up a excellent point.

Nubbinz is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    You should buy a Clymer manual online, there like 25 bucks or so they tell you EVERYTHING. Id say go to your Yamaha shop and buy their oil, it has additives for a wet clutch, if u run car oil in it I'm not saying it'll burn out in two days but over a few years you'll wear out your clutch, as far as viscosity, probably 10-w40. I know on my Honda trike every part I've needed for it so far I've been able to buy brand new at my local Honda dealer, its a little pricey but you know your getting good stuff, I don't know if Yamaha still sells brand new parts for their trikes but If not ebay is good or buy a whole parts bike off craigslist for 100 bucks or so... If it doesn't wanna go into first gear sometimes that's pretty normal for an old trike, mine would do that sometimes and the clutch and trans were fine as far as I know, just try rocking it while shifting, sometimes the wheels have to be very slightly moving for it to shift, my 93 Kingquad 250 does that sometimes, and its mint, as well as just have been rebuilt two months ago. Hope it helps

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //