//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1981 honda atc 200 snorkel

chuckiedog04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

1981 honda atc 200 snorkel

im thinking about snorkeling my 1981 honda 200. the 81 model is different from anything ive seen on here. the airbox is under the seat and thats where the breather from the airbox is. its angled up under the seat. so im kind of confused of how to snorkel it. i ordered new rear axle bearings for it and am going to make it into my mudder/beater. so any advice of how to do it would be nice. ive looked it up on here but they are all different models from the 81. thanks

chuckiedog04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    so nobody knows anything?

--
    Pipe it straight from the engine, with a filter at the end of the pipe/snorkel.

The setup with an airbox under the seat is actually really common, and is common on every Honda 200, and 250.
    This is my trike. There are many like it but this one is mine. My trike is my best friend, and it is my life. I must master it as I must master myself. My trike without me is useless. Without my trike, I am useless. I must ride my trike true. My trike and I know that what counts is not the amount of miles we ride, but the time we ride together. My trike is human in it's own ways, therefore I will learn it as my brother. I will learn it's weaknesses, it's strengths, it's parts, and it's soul.

--
    well its a different set up from my 250es. i couldnt find any information on here for the same set up. im not sure if i want the filter on the end of the snorkel because i tend to part the 200 outside.

--
    Then a snorkel, if not turned down, will still feed water into the airbox. A good idea is to end the pipe with the filter, and simply take the filter off and cap the snorkel when you park it.
    This is my trike. There are many like it but this one is mine. My trike is my best friend, and it is my life. I must master it as I must master myself. My trike without me is useless. Without my trike, I am useless. I must ride my trike true. My trike and I know that what counts is not the amount of miles we ride, but the time we ride together. My trike is human in it's own ways, therefore I will learn it as my brother. I will learn it's weaknesses, it's strengths, it's parts, and it's soul.

--
    thats a good idea. thanks for the help, ill get pictures up when i get it done.

--
    i snorkeled my 200es, the airbox is in the same location as yours. i siliconed the drain, edges of the airbox, and the snorkel opening on the back of the airbox where the snorkel enters, as well as the connecting pieces of pvc on the snorkel. i didn't want to run the snorkel straight into the carb because i'm basically too lazy to rejet to keep the engine from running lean. so far the snorkel works pretty good, i've had the engine in muddy water up to the airbox and it was bone dry inside.
    In the words of the late, great colonel sanders, "I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken."

1984 honda Big Red 200es mud toy

--
    so here is my best description for how the airbox is set up. the only way i can think of setting it up is by cutting the 90 off the air box and putting pvc there somehow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snorkel.jpg  

--
    i cut a hole into the back of the airbox kind of on the slanted part on the bottom, then i fitted pvc pipe into it and gorilla glued and siliconed it. i cut a hole into the left fender, and ran the snorkel straight up through the fender like this. this is the only pic of the snorkel i have at the moment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250946_10150210420566692_822741691_7061432_1334941_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	125028
    In the words of the late, great colonel sanders, "I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken."

--
    i like that set up. i was thinking of cutting a hole threw the tool box. so i can run the pvc pipe from the airbox up threw the tool box. that way i can have the snorkel hidden. then when i need to snorkel to be high i could add another foot or two on the snorkel.

--
    if i didn't use my tool box as a beer cooler, that would be a good idea haha

--
    I have an 81 200 and know exactly what you are talking about. Plastics are expensive and hard to get so I think the snorkel through the toolbox and up is your best bet, or you can always get one of those air in only breather fittings from lows they use them on plumbing for houses, and some of the baja vehicles have them on the intakes as well. Should make things easier since the inlet is pointed up instead of down like on a 185s.

--
    i wish i had another air box. that way i could have one to keep it stock and one to snorkel it. im going to have to get some aggresive tires too.

--
    Hey everyone, fully aware that this thread is from 2011, but this is the only thread I've seen on here for the '81 ATC 200 so trying to bump it up. Has anybody found a solution for snorkeling this model in the last ~10 years?! I see a ton of threads for people snorkeling the Big Reds from the left side of the airbox that connects to frame and using that existing setup, but the '81 200 has a different airbox where the opening curls up into a hole under the seat.

I've considered cutting that curl off and try to make it flush, then connect PVC pipe there somehow. Anyone have any better suggestions or snorkeled theirs before? Thanks in advance.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //