//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why you have to be careful riding the dunes during mid day...

--
    That sucks man. It's like that on a sunny day snowmobiling. Everything is just white and you can't see changes in elevation. I've gone over the handlebars before because I hit a bump I wasn't expecting. Way better to ride when it's overcast

Rob

--
    that stuff even happens here at silver lake sand dunes in the right areas, even in my jeep i had a few moments. its hard to see when it all blends. dunes are hard to ride visually when sunny at mid day like mentioned.

before you know it you hit a dip and its over with.

theres very little for visual landmarks, it plays with your eyes.

id imagine flying a plane over the blue ocean with blue sky would be weird too without alt gauges.

--
    Ouch!!!

I am familiar with the problem is snow as well. Never been to the dunes. With the snow problem I bought a pair of goggles that were a blue tint. Has anyone ever tried them on the dunes? I know they worked great on snow.......
    1982 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Yamaha 225DX

--
    I had the same thing happen to me in Pismo when I first started riding. Lesson learned. Take it slower during the noon-time hour. A year later I saw guy come off a high drop at a good clip. The front of his quad took a nose dive, the quad rolled over him, and he was knocked unconscious. They called in a helicopter and I've always wondered if he made it. I believe a death or two occurs every year at Pismo.

--
    Blog Entries
    He was in freefall for almost exactly one second. That would put the distance a little under 16 feet according to the calculator doohickey I found on google (my math is horrible so it's possible I can't even use an online calculator right but the fall time is dead nuts).

Go find something 16 feet tall, look straight up at it and think about falling straight down. It's higher than you think.

--
    Heres a picture of the fall Rapidrick and I took In our 09 Gordon's Well trip. We were both very lucky to not get Very seriously Injured. Rick got the worst of It. I smashed my head on the front brake reservoir, and will never forget that experience!!! I think thats why I'm so afraid of leading out there, and Is why I have The Most Respect for the guys that can lead. IMO , MIke (Mr Clean), and Kasey are the best to follow at a fast pace. I get Way to nervous up front. Our fall was about 10 feet, as we rolled off the highest point you can see. The biggest problem was our landing was an uphill slope. When I landed I rolled but about 3 feet. At the top I was In 3rd gear, I hit the brake when I saw Rick slap the ground. Once I realized how far down he was all I could do was wack the throttle wide open and hope for the best. I'm just glad Kasey didn't land on us. The second pic Is my Lucky AZZ with Ricks flag taped to mine!

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    That was a really fun ride, right until that point.
    Have '85 350X-XR500 Hybrid,
    Had Nicholson framed: 90/110, 185s, Gen I 500, Gen II 500
    Had Bandito Framed 90
    Have Vey's Framed 90
    Have too many parts

--
    Yes Sir, that was a blast!!! Until we took that BIG step LOL.

83 ATC 60-R Cr60 converted with Zinger parts.
    83 ATC 70.
    83 Tri zinger
    ATC 85-R Cr85 engine on shortened 86-R frame.
    ATC450AF
    86 310-R Drag racer
    440 snowmobile powered custom built.
    87 Cr 500 Converted to Drag racer

--
    Man It may be dangerous at some times but those dunes look like FUN!!! Best we can do here is a gravel pit...
    My Trikes...

-1985 Big Red

-1986 250r

-1984 200x

-1980 110

-1980 ATC 185

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    AND BOYS I WILL TELL YOU FIRST HAND ,,, that fall hans did was no less than 30 feet!!! it was unbelievablely tall.... and again we were all having a great time till that happened WOW THE COMMON DENOMINATOR IN THSES CRASHES,,,,,,,,,,,,ME... so please if you do not have your big boy pants on DO NOT FOLLOW ME,...... i am leading a couple of times in this vid.... one of the best so far to come from the imperial invasion,,,, http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...on.mp4&h=55083

--
    anyone have any idea if there are any other rear break drums that will fit on a 1986 honda big red?

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dronald View Post
    anyone have any idea if there are any other rear break drums that will fit on a 1986 honda big red?
    Welcome to the wrong thread!

--
    IMHO, with all of what has been said especially with the angle or lack of angle of the sun and all, and yes I made a comment about the sun also. I think there is another factor.

He simply forgot where he was in relation to the bowl he wanted to drop into. Watch the vid again and as he descends from where the guys were watching... he constantly looks to his left where he wants to go, but then around :13 sec he turns away to make a quick loop and looks to the bowl where he wants to make his entry.

Hans appears to obviously know where he wanted to go but simply forgot about that lip he might have simply went down and into the bowl before he made that quick loop. Unfortunate brain fade and yes the sun's angle didn't help either.

Not throwing sand on anyone, just an observation of an unfortunate circumstance. And my thoughts and prayers for a quick heal and recovery.

Oh btw Kasey you didn't lead him into the crash and if you are counting my crash, you were at least third behind Jason who unfortunately was following me. Again my apologies to all for cutting the ride short.
    Last edited by RapidRick; 06-07-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar, keeping my shyte together
    Have '85 350X-XR500 Hybrid,
    Had Nicholson framed: 90/110, 185s, Gen I 500, Gen II 500
    Had Bandito Framed 90
    Have Vey's Framed 90
    Have too many parts

--
    RICK , i merely ment i was at both crash sites... your right i wasn't leading anyone on those rides... as for hans,, i am not sure what he was thinking,, i know for sure it wasn't i am going to jump in the bowl.. thats just not hans... just a simple fade in the greymatter...

--
    BUT i can say... i did lead billy into his crash in the begining of that video!!!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //