//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Starter removal KLT 250

--

Starter removal KLT 250

I bought a KLT 250 and I was thinking it needed a starter. I pulled the cover off and I hit the starter to see what it was doing. And thats when I found out these werent a direct drive style starter to a gear which I'm sure u guys all knew. So it spins the big gear about a half a turn and then since to me it seems almost like a ac clutch on a car it disengages.

1) is it a centrifugal style clutch deal that isnt staying engaged?

2)is my starter just not spinning fast enough to keep it engaged?

3)the previous owner told me he took that off and put it back on exactly how he took it off, could he have put something on backwards or incorrectly that would make it act like this?
    Last edited by thenewguy; 06-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.

--
    it's a one-way clutch/sprag bearing

1986 ATC500X
    1985 ATC250SX
    1985 ATC200X
    1985 ATC250R
    1986 ATC250R
    1984 ATC250R
    1981 ATC70
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70
    Custom built ATC70 / 250R laydwon swap
    1986 ATC250SX FATCAT

--
    Yes,in the back of your flywheel is a one way bearing. Rollers which lock upon centrifugal force. If she's had VERY dirty oil in her,,they could be worn out,and the surface they bite onto. Your starter is spinning free and healthy? I would sooner think your starter is weak. I have actually NOT worked on one of these!! Everything looks good inside there to me. If you didn't clean those flywheel magnets up? That is one CLEAN ENGINE !! And I would say you need a starter or rebuild that one. Don't know about that particular model,but starters have become almost free on ebay as of late, $27- $50 for almost all ATV's. If you can't figure it out,pull it off the chain and see how free she seems free spinnig.. But not TOO much!! You'll scorch her. Let us know how she turns out!

--
    My starter seems to spin free and healthy. I took it out and hooked my charger to it on 12v boost setting for jump starting and it spun right up pretty fast. But I dont know how fast it should be spinning or if these are a 6v system so maybe 6v from the battery isnt enough? I found the "starter clutch" on bike bandit and it is 95 bucks plus shipping. So if I can rule out the starter then I feel like that may be the next thing to consider. Would love to have this thing running by next weekend if possible.

--
    but my battery tests out at 12.81v on a meter so im guessing it is a 12v setup? like I say I dont know much about these things

--
    here is the part you keep by passing which I am thinking is a very important issue:

First off thanks for the prompt replies, my battery was low and the charger I was boosting it with was not working. Needless to say a new battery fixed that. Now when I turn it over it makes a terrible noise. I'm thinking maybe its the starter. When I take the spark plug out and run the starter there is no noise. But when the spark plug is in it makes noise like when there is resistance from the compression the starter doesn't stay engaged. Next step is to remove the starter. Since I am thenewguy I dont know the correct way and I dont really wanna just start tearing it apart. Links, photos or pics would be awesome. Thanks guys!

so if it's not the plug then you have a weak starter, just pull it out and check with a local bike shop to see if you have the right one, they make long and short ones, and if yours is the ring size you could be causing interference with your piston

--
    How would I know if its for sure the starter? I know with cars i can have oriellys or auto zone test the starter and get a for sure answer. Is there a way to get a good test on the starter? I did check the spark plug and it takes an ngk B8ES so I did go buy one and put that in and I'm having the same symptoms. So I'm thinking my problem lies within the starter, or the starter clutch. But i really have no idea cause i've never had any kind of atv or dirtbike.

--
    then my recommendation is to pull the starter and open the starter up to check the brushes, and look for excessive dust inside it, there will be some but if the brushes are wore out you'll see they are next to nothing left. a local motorcycle shop should be able to test the starter for you. also if you open it up there are areas to grease in there, and look for corrosion on the bearings as well. the plug it takes ios the short one, that is what the s stands for if I'm not mistaken

--
    Rise from the dead thread of the past,lol. I to have been having this problem and as of a couple weeks ago the starter took a crap on on me all together. I've been pull starting it just to ride it but that gets pretty old when it dies back in the woods lol. I removed my starter and the oil seals failed filling the starter with oil and burning up all the wires from the resistance.. That is all.
    Last edited by MidwestATC; 08-29-2014 at 01:22 PM.

--
    I have a set of the oil seals in my shop, if you the same starter I had they used a few different versions of it. the one I had was the mitsuba starter, also the klf 300 bayou some of the older models use this starter as well.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Yeah this thing has me on a mission lol. I ordered a starter rebuild kit for it and I've been doing a lot of looking at getting the kick starter from a kz200 to work. The whole side cover is the same pattern just different clutch setup. Needless to say the cases are the same and the kick starter assembly should go right in the case. It's just figuring out the sealing the hole that will need to be made for it. The distance from the tire to the kicker is another aspect to consider as well. I want to suspend the rear anyway so I'll be pushing the wheel base just enough to clear. Which should be no more than a inch or two. I am still in the research phase of this whole ordeal lol.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //