//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Honda C90 CDI on a ATC 200ES

--

Honda C90 CDI on a ATC 200ES

Has anyone tried this?

Just started the rebuild of my ATC 200es, tested the electrics only to find no spark....... traced the fault to the CDI.

I've used the Honda C90 CDI on quite a few 80's single cylinder machines in the past, they are cheap and readily available, hooking it up to another Honda is very straight forward. The wiring colours are the same except for the kill switch (black on the ATC, black/white on the C90) and the ATC has a sixth pin (grey) for the reverse inhibitor which can be ignored.

Here's a diagram of the C90 pin outs to ATC wiring loom.

I hooked it up tonight and sure enough she's sparking, I'll get some fuel in her and see if she fires up later this week...... stand by.

--
    Finally got round to cleaning the carb and getting some fuel her, she fired up and ran fine with the C90 CDI. Also hooked up a race CDI from a GY6 engined scooter, that works too.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in alternative CDI's on here, maybe because OE CDI's are easy to find in the US? That's not the case for us in the UK, parts like this are hard to find here so its nice to know a £10 CDI works fine.

Has anyone tried alternative CDI's? If so what type where they?

--
    fixit, does the "Race" CDI incorporate an electronic advance. If so, won't this clash with the mechanical CDI built into the 200es?.

--
    Yes, this was discussed here at length a little while ago, i have a few posts up showing exactly how to substitute the CDI on the 200ES.

And yes also you have to get a CDI that has NO ADVANCE, as it will add to the mechanical advance of the 200ES and then you have a timing mess.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //