//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: '86 250r Resto-Mod Build Thread

ForeverThreeWhe is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Send this guy an email. He's out of Minnesota and will take a few days if not a week or two to get back to you. The kit was $73 + shipping. His name is Harlan.

hjlysne@charter.net
    Thanx so much.

--
    Well I finally got my ass out into the garage and started to tear the bike down. Here it is on the rack.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1986HondaATC250rRestoration004.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	135894

Now its coming off the rack.

Name:	1986HondaATC250rRestoration008.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	135895

In the air.

Name:	1986HondaATC250rRestoration009.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	135896

And a few hours later this is what is left. The only bolt that gave me trouble was the swinger bolt, but that was to be expected.

Name:	1986HondaATC250rRestoration010.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	135897

I got my tank back from Mr. Clean and it looks awesome as usual. Next will be getting the swinger and frame prepped to be sent off to the coater.

I am going to try and powder coat all the little parts myself and I am also going to try and Zinc coat all of the bolts and misc. brackets myself. We'll see how those turn out.

--
    Can't wait!! Gonna be a good one.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Slowly but surely its coming along. Every part but the frame and swinger has been or will be powdercoated by me. I have every nut, bolt, bracket, axle, and misc harware at the zinc plater right now. Once the hardware is done I'll start the assembly phase. I still need to work on the '86 engine and caliper color. They seem to be the same.

I also swapped Mr. Clean my '85 +4 Westcoast for his '86 +2 Westcoast. It will be at the coater tonight to get put back to the factory white color. Sorry Mike

--
    lookin slick so far!! gonna be one top notch R for sure!! I am tearing mine down right now also, but its getting boxed up for now!! did you do anything to the hardware before sending it to the plater?? I plan to do the same, but was wondering if it would be cheaper to clean them up first. you going with oem wheels and tires??

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I also swapped Mr. Clean my '85 +4 Westcoast for his '86 +2 Westcoast. It will be at the coater tonight to get put back to the factory white color. Sorry Mike

Looking great Brian, that gas tank looks shiny!!! As far as the swinger no need to be sorry!!! Keep the pics coming!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Looking great Brian, that gas tank looks shiny!!! As far as the swinger no need to be sorry!!! Keep the pics coming!!
    Thanks Mike for everything

Quote Originally Posted by aldochina View Post
    lookin slick so far!! gonna be one top notch R for sure!! I am tearing mine down right now also, but its getting boxed up for now!! did you do anything to the hardware before sending it to the plater?? I plan to do the same, but was wondering if it would be cheaper to clean them up first. you going with oem wheels and tires??
    I talked to Rosco here on the board after seeing his plated hardware and asked him how he went about getting it done. He recommended removing all corrosion and getting them as clean as you can, so I mounted my bench grinder to my little assembly table you see in the pics, pulled up my little roller chair and proceeded to remove several mm of skin from my fingers. I set a backstop up behind the grinder because if a bolt gets away, and the little ones do, they would go flying across the garage.

What the wire wheel wouldn't do I used my little blast cabinet.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by aldochina View Post
    you going with oem wheels and tires??
    I'm going with a Dunner look. I ride at St. Joe State park and its all sand flats. I have Skat Trac paddles for the rear and a Skat Trac Mowhawk front on polished Douglas Red labels.

--
    I talked to Rosco here on the board after seeing his plated hardware and asked him how he went about getting it done. He recommended removing all corrosion and getting them as clean as you can, so I mounted my bench grinder to my little assembly table you see in the pics, pulled up my little roller chair and proceeded to remove several mm of skin from my fingers.
    HaHa Those finger prints will grow back
    It is the icing on the cake... all freshly plated ...........mmmmm..cake........

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

--
    Looks absolutely AS IT SHOULD ! Your Dad is smiling Bryan...

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Looks absolutely AS IT SHOULD ! Your Dad is smiling Bryan...
    Thanks Bill. That comment means a lot.

--
    Nothing to get excited about just piddled in the garage last night and polished up my silencer and all the little rubber grommets. I also had my Paul Turner Hi-Rev coated in HI-Temp Black for the old school look.

Then I wasn't to hip on putting this back on the bike.

So I used a little elbow grease and shined it up a bit. Nothing special.

--
    Love it ! I can look at this stuff all day !

--
    you guys know of any other light that will work inside that 86 shell?? i have a nos shell for both years, but only the guts for the 85!! seems like the 86 guts are alot harder to find!

--
    Rory, as far as the light itself a 86-87 200x and 86-87 250sx all share the same lens. Now for guts???? Maybe only 250r specific. I'm not sure on that one.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //