//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Bought My First Quad - '86 300 Bayou - Need Help

--

Bought My First Quad - '86 300 Bayou - Need Help

So I bought my first 4 wheeler over the weeked. It's and '86 Kawasaki 300 bayou, 2wd. Paid $500, and it hadn't ran in almost a year and the starter wasn't working.
    Cleaned the inside of the starter out, and got it to work, and got the bike to run.
    It would idle good, but would bog real bad when I gave it gas.
    Took the carb apart, and it looked pretty much spotless. Turned the idle mixture screw out a bunch, and still not much of a difference. Put in a new plug, still won't rev. And I've noticed after it sits overnight it doesn't want to start real well, and I usualy have to choke the carb off by hand to get it to start. I know I didn't do a real good job at cleaning the carb, all I did was mainly look at a few of the jets to make sure they were clear.

I also don't understand quite how these carbs work. There's like a butterfly valve that opens and closes with the throttle, but then there's the slide connected to like a rubber diphram, with no other mechanical connection to anything.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do next?
    Rides:
    1985 250sx
    1982 ATC185s
    1984 200es

Always Hoping For a Maritime Trikefest- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-where-you-at

"Wear Limits Are Just A Suggestion"

--
    its a constant volicity carb. check for splits in the diaphram or that it is sealing well and the vacuum passages to the diaphram are clear. if you can see into the carb while its running see if the slide moves when the butterfly opens. if you cant see very well open the throttle a bit and use a small screwdriver to move the slide manually and see if it revs then. if it does then you know what to start working on
    Last edited by just ben; 08-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.

--
    got it running pretty good now. Checked the valves, they were good. Adjusted the idle mixure screw out a few more turns, and now it's pretty good. It didn't to seem to make a whole lot of difference before, but I didn't turn it a whole lot. It's out about 5 turns now, it was out about 3 before I touched it.
    I started working on the breaks. Took the front apart first, they worked a tiny bit, but one caliper/cylinder won't move, so gotta try to get that to work. So I started on the back. The shoes are still good, but the shaft that the petal goes on is stripped.

The one main thing I don't like about this bike tho is that it's electric start only. Anyone know if I can make all the pull start parts and stuff off a newer 300 Bayou work on my '86?
    Rides:
    1985 250sx
    1982 ATC185s
    1984 200es

Always Hoping For a Maritime Trikefest- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-where-you-at

"Wear Limits Are Just A Suggestion"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //