//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 tecate TT build

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Not going to lie, i'm pretty proud of how that turned out.
    As you should be! It looks amazing! I can relate to your comment about polishing being addictive, which is why I’ve recently tried to convince myself to powder coat as much as possible, but nothing beats freshly polished aluminum and chrome. I can't wait to see all those parts in one piece.

--
    I just snapped a couple pics of the swinger. I noticed a bunch of spots that i dont like so i'm gonna have to touch up some areas. This was the very first thing i ever polished and it shows.

--
    Whoops, forgot the pics.

--
    oh man that turned out really good man awsome job. on i just noticed the writing on the bottom of your pics of the trike about you looking for the blue tires and not having them, oops i was to memorized by the shiny parts lol.

--
    I just snapped a couple pics of the swinger. I noticed a bunch of spots that i dont like so i'm gonna have to touch up some areas. This was the very first thing i ever polished and it shows.
    What do you have for polising tools? Pretty messy stuff eh?

--
    First i used a pneumatic die grinder with a sanding disk to take out the real nasty stuff. Then I used a DA with 220 grit paper to take out the scratches and then went to 400, 600, and 1000 by hand. I cant remember but i think i wet sanded with the 600 and 1000. After all that i used this old nasty polishing wheel with rouge. I got a couple nice new wheels i've been using this summer and have had much better luck. The old wheel would leave gobs of compound on the aluminum, i don't know if you can see it in the pictures but all of the welds on the calfab are full of it.

--
    I buffed out the swinger again then hit it with the mothers, put the decals on, and waxed it. It looks much better now. I got the bearings in it too so the next pics i post should be of the engine in the frame.

--
    Lookin good! keep them coming!

FYI: Those gobs of polishing compound that get in the welds and corners come out easily with a stiff tooth brush and liquid dishwashing soap, then just rinse. It's a good moment to wash your hands as well.

--
    OOOOO CALFAB looking NICE N SHINEY!
    'WHEN IN DOUBT.........GAS IT!'
    87 KXT250B2 Tecate
    86 ATC250ES BIG RED
    85 ATC350X
    85 ATC70
    'A FEW IN PARTS'

--
    hey joe. whens a good day to drop parts off for polishing? Lol. I have done my share but I just don't have the patience for it. Lookin good I can't wait to see it all together

--
    DAMN nice job!!!! Very rewarding huh!!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Very rewarding but if i had it to do again i'd send it all to the King. I dont know how he does it but he had the cases, calipers, shock, resi, and carb polished in just a couple days. It literally took me months to do what i did.

Thanks camexican, i found that the mothers got rid of the compound but the soap sounds like it might cut through easier.

--
    Very rewarding but if i had it to do again i'd send it all to the King. I dont know how he does it but he had the cases, calipers, shock, resi, and carb polished in just a couple days. It literally took me months to do what i did.

Thanks camexican, i found that the mothers got rid of the compound but the soap sounds like it might cut through easier.
    Mothers, Never Dull, Peaks, paint thinner, WD40 etc. will all cut it, but your hands and parts are still dirty. With the soap you kill two birds with one gernade. I've spent months of my life polishing stainless steel, brass and aluminium. Literaly for a living on the stainless steel, but I can't figure out how guys can polish things like cylinders without making a mess of the mating surfaces and how they get into some of the smaller corners. I need to start a thread just about polishing and see if any of the pros will give up their tricks. Add to that all the ways of preventing them from getting dull, that's a real problem on some parts, have you got any plans to clear coat, or powder coat your stuff to seal it?

--
    I couldn't find any info on how to get into the small areas either, thats why i shipped out all the hard stuff. I'd imagine that they use some sort of industrial dremel tool with sanding and polishing heads. The mating areas didn't get touched at all, the inside of the cases still had paint on it when i got them back so i know he didn't sand blast everything.

I put a coat of wax on, greg said that that should do the job. I waxed the engine last night, it was a pain. Took me a couple hours. I'm not too morried about it because this is staying in me house so oxidation shouldnt be an issue. I left all the parts i did at my dad's shop which is terribly damp for a year unprotected and nothing happened.

I went as far as spraying clear coat on some small pieces but it really took the sparkle away. I guess i could have wet sanded them but that would have been a can of worms.

--
    Got some progress made. I don't have any locktite so i left everything loose but i really wanted to see what it looked like. I had all of the fasteners that i thought wouldn't come in a bolt kit zinc plated, including all the engine spacers and a bunch of misc brackets and what not. I'm getting pretty close to having everything done that i can without my stuff from the painter but i have a couple more things i can do.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5001271.jpg   S5001272.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //