//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Kfx 400 will not start... Please help!!!!!

--

Kfx 400 will not start... Please help!!!!!

06 kfx 400. (I pulled my exhaust apart, took the muffler in my building, and replaced the baffle.) The other baffle was welded on so i had to do some extra work to get it off. I pulled my exhaust apart just under the seat and as i put it back together their was an exhaust leak at the clamp. I used folded layers of aluminum foil for a quick fix to seal where male/ female ends come together internally. A big piece of aluminum foil broke off and clogged the exhaust ( internally). It stalled from the blockage at idle shortly after i started it up (2 min.). Now i cannot get the quad to start back under NO conditions. its firing, getting gas and it will barley hit. I also tried spraying either into the engine after pulling the air filter out. It just turns over and nothing. To be honest, it turns over seemingly slower than usual (battery has a charger hooked up to it.) Im am a experienced mechanic so all of the fine details has been looked over (getting fire/fuel etc....) Did i blow a head gasket or some how damage the engine internally? Thank you.
    Last edited by REDBEARD; 10-20-2011 at 08:51 PM.

--
    You might want to try posting this on Thumper Talk, but add some detail first as your rendition of what happened with the foil does not make any sense the way I read it. i.e. how does a "big piece" of foil (assuming it was WRAPPED around a leaking joint) get inside the pipe? How do you know it got in there? Or are you talking about some other piece of aluminum off the exhaust system? You don't say why you were taking things apart in the first place either. I Suggest that your future exhaust repair parts list be limited to gaskets, seals, clamps and collars, but as a mechanic you already knew that, right?

--
    Why do you have to be such a smart ass? No one was twisting your arm to reply to this post. And by the way, I corrected those things in which made no sense. I am an A.S.E CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN and I will reference such things more specific on my next post i.e: clamps etc... I placed multiple layers of folded aluminum foil on the male part of the exhaust pipe where the female slides on connecting the muffler (internally). In this portion of the exhaust their is a clamp which binds the two pieces together. As I slid the female end on the male end coming from the header a piece of the foil broken loose and stayed in the exhaust (near the clamp.) For the most part, my make shift gasket worked (despite the broken piece) for a quick fix (i was only seeing if my new baffle was quieter.) The foil was never on the outside of the exhaust. I started the atv, ran it at idle for aprox. 2 minutes, then it die. I could not get this to start back under no conditions. Guys, its simple, my question is; would a piece of aluminum foil about the size of a golf ball (just a little bit smaller than the exhaust pipe) cause your valves to bend? Their is something clearly wrong with the atv. It ran perfect before this (just a bit louder.) Maybe a piece of the foil is causing a valve to stick open?
    Last edited by REDBEARD; 10-20-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: smart ass comments by other members

--
    I really cant see how the ball of foil would go against the exhaust flow and back into the cylinder head. Seems like it would go into the muffler. Are you positive it didnt just find its way into the muffler and stop it up? They dont like to run too good if the exhaust is plugged off. Thats about the only way i could see a ball of foil in the exhaust causing problems.....
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //