//ArrowChat Code
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47

Thread: How to gain posting access to the rest of the site.

--
    hey yall, my Honda ATC 25SX A is producing 36V to the battery.. AND it WAS producing 4.4V-AC to the headlamp back when the battery was taking 12VDC

--
    You'd probably be best to start a new thread.

The voltages don't really make any sense though, if the battery was showing 36v the acid would be boiling hard. 4.4v is super low. Headlights and battery are effectively on the same wiring besides some switches. The 250SX outputs AC to the voltage regulator, and that rectifies it to DC power for the battery which is what you'd be measuring the voltages in if that wasn't clear. If you try to measure the AC voltage you'll be measuring the rectified AC that's above the DC voltage which is normal on those machines. On a car AC leakage there's a limit for how much is acceptable, I've never seen a spec for that on the atv side of things though. To much AC leakage is normally a bad voltage regulator though.

--
    So when i checked the headlamp it was 4.4VAC but 3ish VDC cant remember, the battery was doing fine at that point too. the Neutral light and the headlamp flickered a bit then didnt come back on so im not sure what i should look at, im assuming a new rectifier/regulator

(edit: when i last checked it was about a month and a half ago, i havent been able to mess around with my bike for a few weeks, but i was today and this is where im stumped, because back then the Black wire that leads up to the left cluster also had 70VDC)(edit2: this machine is really confusing me)

--
    Is your meter battery low or something, the readings are all over and don't make any sense. On the yellow wires directly from the engine if you disconnect them and hooked your meter to them, you'd hit 70V AC pretty easily. If you're getting those kinds of voltages after the regulator, then the voltage regulator sounds fried and it's just passing through the rectified DC unregulated, so idle it would have low voltage, rev'ed up it would increase. I've never ran into a bad regulator/rectifier for a stock Honda, but I have tried to wire up regulator/rectifier from China to a 350x and blew out the voltage regulator instantly (they couldn't get me any specs, so figured it was worth a shot). It still got rectified DC through but there was no limits, so i easily hit 70v ac. Hooking a couple head lights up to it at idle it did ok, give it any gas at all and it blew them though.

At the head light, green is the ground (same as frame ground as well as battery ground), white is for dim, blue for bright. The power feed from the ignition switch is what powers the lights, and that comes from the regulator/battery. Probably wouldn't hurt to grab a service manual for the wire diagram, but kind of sounding like a blown out regulator/rectifier, big time if it's blown out the headlights easily. Careful with a battery hooked up to that thing with it being like that, it can boil and spark and explode. There was a member on here quite a few years ago that had a garage fire that if I remember right was deemed to be caused from the battery (possibly shorted maybe?). Either case, when voltages aren't right, be very leery of the machine. Long long ago my dad had an old junk battery he was trying to charge to bring back to life and it caused a nice explosion, luckily no one was near it. Lead acid is normally pretty safe, but in just the right situations they can be dangerous and over voltage and over current are two of the main concerns.

--
    Can't find the classifieds either ?????

--

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //