//ArrowChat Code

Thread: What is an Airfooler exactly?

Matrix is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

What is an Airfooler exactly?

I actually searched for this first before asking this. I have heard people say stuff along the lines of "Just got my first " or "Clean the s" But what are the s?

Before anyone happens to have a sarcastic remark, remember, if I knew everything, I wouldnt be on a forum..

dirtdemon is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    your 1984 250r is an

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    An "A i r f o o l e r" is an air cooled ATC250R. The first two generations are s, built from 81-84. The name originated from a typo and just kind of stuck. It was made popular (and annoying to some) by , or S a u l, the founder of Airfoolers.com.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    A aircooler 250r is a 250r made between 1981-1884 that were cooled by air not water like the 85-86. also called s
    Life is better on 3 wheels
    1984 200es big red
    1976 suzuki rm125
    1983 honda 250r (minty fresh) SOLD
    1986 honda 350x (A PILE....for now)
    197? honda 90 (pauter framed little beast in the making)

Matrix is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I simply thought so but its only 250r's that are called that?

--
    Blog Entries
    I've heard three theories for the origin of that term.

1. Typo that stuck like Fabio pointed out.

2. After the water pumpers came out the people still riding air cooled machines became the butt of jokes. Only a fool rides an air cooled. Many variations of that lead to the term.

3. It came about when the big bore kits came out and people were running them in the stock class, "fooling" the competition/machine inspectors.

No idea which of those is right. Quite frankly I think it's a stupid term regardless of it's true origin.

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Problem with that term is this.

Any trike, atv, or any internal combustion engine or electric motor, relies on air flowing over it, to cool it down, wheter it has liquid cooling system on it or not.

So using the term "Aircooler" or "A!r f00ler" Has no limit and leaves alot of variables opened in a science aspect..You could even group cars, and lawn mowers, and chainsaws, into the term "air coolers or Air cooled" if you want to misrepresent the term. Take away the electric or mechanical cooling fans that cool these items with air flow being pulled over or head heat sink fins, liquid radiators, or running down the highway using wind for cooling, they over heat.

200x, atc 70, 225 dx, Big red, ATC 90, 110, 125M, 350X, Tri-Zinger, YT175 etc... Bikes like these without liquid systems to AID them in cooling, could all be considered "air coolers" or "Air cooled"...Even 250R's and Tri-Z', Banshee's, 400EX, 300ex, Quadzilla, and 450R's, all need airflow to help cool them, no matter what.
    Let them all idle long enough even with liquid systems, with no air flow being pulled over the rads or engine, and they will quit running or performance will drop.

I just never "got" or accepted the term used in this context myself. ( Actually the term "air cooler" would indicate some kind of noun, for an object that cools air, which already could be considered as a air conditioner, or heat exchanger), I never saw any ATV actually cool ambient air as it was ridden.

You could say I am just talking symantecs here, but I think it is just a real mis-representation of a term, and to ad the "fooler" portion to the original term, just makes it degrading to the 250R if you want my humble opinion.
    Much like someone calling a "TRI-Z 250" a "Tri Zinger"..That is not what it is.
    I prefer to hear them referred to as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen 250R's
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I personally find the term "a!rfooler" annoying.

If memory serves me correctly, I thought somebody had posted the actual message, thread, or article with the typographical error that started the term a!rfooler. I'm almost positive I remember seeing that somewhere, but I could be mistaken. I bet would know.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Wow, thanks for all the input guys. I as well dislike air foolers. It just doesn't sound right in my opinion.

--
    I get the term 'air cooled' vs. 'liquid cooled' one just uses fins attached to the top end (a heat sink) to disperse the heat, where the liquid cooled uses coolant/antifreeze and a radiator...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    Problem with that term is this.

Any trike, atv, or any internal combustion engine or electric motor, relies on air flowing over it, to cool it down, wheter it has liquid cooling system on it or not.

So using the term "Aircooler" or "A!r f00ler" Has no limit and leaves alot of variables opened in a science aspect..You could even group cars, and lawn mowers, and chainsaws, into the term "air coolers or Air cooled" if you want to misrepresent the term. Take away the electric or mechanical cooling fans that cool these items with air flow being pulled over or head heat sink fins, liquid radiators, or running down the highway using wind for cooling, they over heat.

200x, atc 70, 225 dx, Big red, ATC 90, 110, 125M, 350X, Tri-Zinger, YT175 etc... Bikes like these without liquid systems to AID them in cooling, could all be considered "air coolers" or "Air cooled"...Even 250R's and Tri-Z', Banshee's, 400EX, 300ex, Quadzilla, and 450R's, all need airflow to help cool them, no matter what.
    Let them all idle long enough even with liquid systems, with no air flow being pulled over the rads or engine, and they will quit running or performance will drop.
    So your saying any liquid cooled engine at idle will eventually overheat?

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    With the exception of boat engines or personal watercraft and designs of that nature, yes.
    But I dont see people referring to boats as "water heaters" either.
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    Is an air fooler different than an air ? My friend has an 82 Atc with a Mugen Cylinder and he calls it an air .

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //