//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My 350x rescue...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by GoObYdOo View Post
    Thanks guys!Ill go pick up a 27mm socket and wrench!

I was looking at the POR15 tank kit,im just trying to decide if it would be more cost effective in the long run (after cost of POR kit,primer,sanding material,paint and clearcoat) to go with say an IMS oversized plastic tank,I think that will probably be the way that I go seeing the time,money and work it will take to remove the rust.
    You might be able to find a cheaper RUST FREE metal tank in the Classifieds section. I don't like the looks of those plastic tanks but to each his own.

--
    fabio,i test rode a couple of 450r's back in 05-06,one had a stock swinger and the other had a +3 swinger and i just liked the feel of it a little more.

Im definitely not set on extending it by any means,so if yourself or anyone dont see any real advantage to doing this on a trike please let me know,it would save a lot of time and a small chunk of change!

Ive thought about trying to find a rust free metal tank when i have access to the classifieds,and i still might,but i DO like the idea of having a slightly larger capacity tank.

--
    Heres where Im at after this afternoon...

Removed the swingarm bolt and front forks,rear master cylinder etc...

The steering stem nut came off hard and I noticed marks on the stem,so someone probably didnt know about the adjuster nut and now the stem is mushroomed a bit and hard to start the threads,so Im just going to taper the edges with a grinder to get past the squished part of the stem.

I need to pick up a steering stem socket to finish removing it.Im also hoping the 200x that came with the 350x has the same size ball-bearings in the steering stem,as the 350x is missing quite a few (hence the slop that was found)Here are some more pictures of the progress...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2762.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	137174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2763.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	137175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2765.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	137176

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Good start man.

Personally I don't think the plastic tanks are a bad idea, but to each their own. You can always re-do your metal one or keep your eyes open for a good metal one in the mean time if you want.

I'd suggest riding the trike before you extend the swinger. The only people who usually have extended swingers are the ones with a lot of extra horsepower or people who are racing, with the exception of the first gen Tecates. That swinger is just too short right from the factory. For a regular rider an extended swinger may actually take away from the experience of riding it. The 350X's handle great right out of the box and it's very helpful to be able to pull the front end up in just about any gear you want for surprise wash-outs and bouncing over logs and stuff. Not to mention just showing off.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Try This stuff. You'll love it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7jyf7A4WE

--
    Thanks fabio,its a bit rough but I love doing this stuff,hate seeing machines like these go to the junk man!

I think Ill try the electrolytic removal until I get some money around for an IMS tank,like I say,functionality is key for me,so I think Id like the IMS the most because of capacity as well as durability,no dents or rust to worry about!

Concerning the swinger,Ill hold off on the stretching to see how it is.

Ive got to get the exact specs from my cousin,but if I remember correctly,he said it was a 403 with a DG low-mid range cam (didnt think they made them!)and worked head,cant remember what he said about the crank for specs,I just know its new,no port and polish on the head as far as I can see,probably just valve work.When I find out Ill post more specs on the motor.I know i would like to port/polish a spare head when I get bored sometime...lol

Not sure what exhaust Im going to use yet either,still researching!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    You can also use muriactic acid for rust removal as well. Just be really, really careful with it. Stuff is nothing to be playing with.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Im thinking about it,it would be easier for me if it wasnt so cold out.Its been in the mid teens to mid 20's during the day here the last few days,i dont have a heated area to work in so its tough to really do ANYTHING on it,im going to pick up a grinder and some stripping pads to get the powdercoat off the frame tomorrow,maybe a small space heater to warm up the shed too...lol

--
    Awesome project! I got a 85 Tecate in pieces for $350. AftEr about 2 months I just got it running. Running rich but running. I have more parts on the way. I'm at a build cost of around $480 so far
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate 250 with kx 500cc motor
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom built with lifan 125cc
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom powder coat slight mods
    1985 Honda 250sx
    Yamaha zinger 90cc 2 stroke
    1985 Honda 250sx custom green and black build
    1985 Honda 200x

--
    Awesome!Got any pics?I would like to get this one to be a mean trail machine myself,so far ive only spent the $200 on the trikes and taken the 350x apart and ready to clean up.I am going to start cleaning up the frame,axle and swingarm tomorrow,so hopefully next week or the week after i can start re-enforcing the frame before painting or powdercoating.

--
    Yea I have a few ill post more after work. It's close to running right. I need a new intake boot. And a tune

--
    Keep us all posted! I'll be keeping everyone posted on my rescue as well
    1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Honda 200x

--
    looking good so far!!!! I will be following this build for sure, sucks to see a good bike ruined but awesome to see someone try to bring it back to life
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    I got the steering stem removed,then I took the engine,frame,gas tank and airbox out for pressure wash at the local car wash today and started wire brushing the frame with a drill because Im still trying to get a connection to a sand blaster...thats going to take forever so ill just wait to blast it...lol

Bad news,I got stuff to try the muriatic acid as well as the electrolytic rust removal and i got some BB's and shook them around in the tank to remove the loose rust particles.After i pressure washed it i started wire wheeling the paint off that my cousin put on,and he put bondo ALL over this tank.It has dents,poorly patched holes etc...the tank is unfortunately not worth saving.So i got all that stuff for nothing!Thats kind of frustrating!So im definitely buying and IMS tank.Gonna do some more research on some local shops to see if theyll sandblast the frame for me.

--
    That will happen a lot durin a recovery I've noticed with my own bike lol. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst
    1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Honda 200x

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //